Big Bear camp n' crawl...take 2..July ?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Big Bear camp n' crawl...take 2..July ??

I should be able to get up there some time this week to get GPS and pictures.

Updated my previous post with links to better maps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I looked through my pictures and found these of the campsite in question. They are actually from 2005, but the landmarks, such as the deadfall and the large rocks, should still be there.
Track that ends at the deadfall which passes in front of the site
BB_072005_83_Large_.jpg

Site looking directly from track
BB_072005_82_Large_.jpg

BB_072005_101_Large_.jpg

I looked through my pictures and found these of the campsite in question. They are actually from 2005, but the landmarks, such as the deadfall and the large rocks, should still be there.
Track that ends at the deadfall which passes in front of the site
BB_072005_83_Large_.jpg

Site looking directly from track
BB_072005_82_Large_.jpg

BB_072005_101_Large_.jpg
OMG! look how young Sara is!. I wonder if this is the run I did with you guys. Has it been that long since I wheeled in big bear?:eek:

3N14 to 3N97. Turn left or southerly. At the Y in the trail turn right. Go down trail past the group camp until trail splits next to a very pretty meadow. Go left (I think its 3N67C or 3N16C) for about 100 yards to the pines in the end of the meadow. Camp.

Someone would have to go scouting to make sure these directions are correct..
Directions are spot on, but the road now ends in a fence at the group camp. I tried from the other end of 3n97 (at 3n16) and it's been fenced off 1/2 way there as well.

Sadly, if there's still a road to your old spot... I couldn't find it.

Plenty of other good spots though. I'll post more pictures/info later

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 213

Good work Ritsui...any and all suggestions welcomed.

How about we shoot for the last weekend of the month...Fri/27 - Sun/29?

Looked up info regarding campfires/stoves/bbq's. You will need a California fire permit (available at the Discovery Center) for any of the aforementioned.
Got a feeling campfires will be a no go with fire danger being so high. Can you confirm Ritsui? A call to the Discovery Center would also confirm.

Directions are spot on, but the road now ends in a fence at the group camp. I tried from the other end of 3n97 (at 3n16) and it's been fenced off 1/2 way there as well.

Sadly, if there's still a road to your old spot... I couldn't find it.

Plenty of other good spots though. I'll post more pictures/info later

That sucks. It was the best spot to remote camp I have ever located up there. I guess it was just too nice for us folks and it needed to be locked away. The only other spots I know of there are not big enough for more than two rigs to fit.

Yellow Post #6

The yellow post site (#6) on the way there (on 3N97, 1/2 way to the group camp) has a good amount of space. It isn't as remote... but relative to Holcomb valley it still is.

Attachments

• bb-june4 024_yp6b.jpg
    bb-june4 024_yp6b.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 180
  • bb-june4 029_yp6a.jpg
    bb-june4 029_yp6a.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 170

Other way on 3N97

If you turn left at the first fork off 3N97, there's a nice clearing at the end of the road. Rougher road to get there (no RVs or low clearance cars) and no tables, fire rings, etc, but it looks more like the spot you went to...

Attachments

• bb-june4 012_wild1b.jpg
    bb-june4 012_wild1b.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 180
  • bb-june4 005_wild1a.jpg
    bb-june4 005_wild1a.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 179
  • bb-june4 011_wild1c.jpg
    bb-june4 011_wild1c.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 198

How about we shoot for the last weekend of the month...Fri/27 - Sun/29?
Got a feeling campfires will be a no go with fire danger being so high. Can you confirm Ritsui? A call to the Discovery Center would also confirm.

That weekend is great for us :thumbsup:

Fire restrictions are supposedly only currently in effect for wilderness camping. Yellow post sites 'should' be Ok, but we'll check with the forest service. Personally, I'll prepare to be happy with our stove and lantern. It's pretty dry up here :(.

Yellow Post 7

A bit further up and on the other side of 3N14 is YP7. A nice spot for how close to the road it is, but it's too small for a group. No pictures of the site, since someone was there.

Attachments

• bb-june4 041_yp7a.jpg
    bb-june4 041_yp7a.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 189

Yellow Post 34

Way the heck up 3N08 (other side of 3N14 from the Holcomb creek trail) is Yellow post 34. Only big enough for one vehicle and a bit bleak... but almost as remote as you can get.

Attachments

• bb-june4 060_yp34a.jpg
    bb-june4 060_yp34a.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 180
  • bb-june4 065_yp34b.jpg
    bb-june4 065_yp34b.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 180
  • bb-june4 067_yp34c.jpg
    bb-june4 067_yp34c.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 193

Yellow Post 33

Last spot which I was able to get to (and was un-occupied). Like the last one, this is pretty far from Holcomb Valley (closer to Fawnskin) and only space for 2-3 campsites, but nice.

All the other yellow post and free camp sites I tried to get to were closed/blocked. Keep in mind, I never went right on 3N16 toward Holcomb Valley to look for more wilderness sites.

Attachments

• bb-june4 071_yp33a.jpg
    bb-june4 071_yp33a.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 190
  • bb-june4 073_yp33b.jpg
    bb-june4 073_yp33b.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 184
  • bb-june4 074_yp33d.jpg
    bb-june4 074_yp33d.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 182

Personally, I'll prepare to be happy with our stove and lantern. It's pretty dry up here :(.

Yeah, I was wondering mostly if I could bring my little propane BBQ. I won't be heart broken if we don't have a campfire. I have limited space as it is without bringing firewood.

I am thinking that Yellow #6 spot might be the best bet. It is fairly easy to locate, and is big enough. The only problem is getting there before someone else get there.

If either Rachel and I can get there on Thursday, we will :thumbsup:

No matter where we camp, I'm happy to say this trip FINALLY got me doing my body lift this week. Hopefully sliders will also be done before the run :)

No way I can make this. Both 4x4 are down. 28th- 29th is to close to our trip a few days later and we need to pack and prep. Weekend before that is the littlest birthday party. Why are all the runs on my kids birthdays?:(

No way I can make this.
:(

No 4x4 = no big deal. Kid's B-day... that's another story.

I can bring balloons and a barely justifiable adult fear of clowns. If anyone has a pony or a monkey, you'd be set ;)

Sorry you can't make it Steve:thumbdwn: We can always plan another trip during the summer.

As for this trip, I still plan on going. Anyone coming out just for the day? Looks like the weekend of June 28-29 works out the best for most of us.
If so let's get some trails planned out and a meeting place...Discovery center has always been good or Fawnskin just down the road.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back