Big Bear camp n' crawl...take 2..July ?? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Big Bear camp n' crawl...take 2..July ??

Sorry you can't make it Steve:thumbdwn: We can always plan another trip during the summer.

As for this trip, I still plan on going. Anyone coming out just for the day? Looks like the weekend of June 28-29 works out the best for most of us.
If so let's get some trails planned out and a meeting place...Discovery center has always been good or Fawnskin just down the road.

Thanks Dave looking forward to the next one:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..Do you have a firm date I can add to the Title for you?

..Do you have a firm date I can add to the Title for you?

I forgot I was gonna edit the first post with the date but yeah, you can add June 27-29 to the title...thanks.

..Here's a less than a week to go bump...:D

Do we have a list of attendees?

Sent from my XT907 using Forum Runner

Rachel and I are in. 2 trucks.

Now for the trails:
Only trail I haven't done is Dishpan Springs. I would love to run that trail, but will go with whatever everyone else wants or thinks they can do. Maybe we could go out to the east end of John Bull and work our way back westerly and see how far we get. We could for sure do Bull and Holcomb on Saturday. Gold Mountain is just kind of a short teaser trail, but fun.

I should be out there Friday early afternoon. Where we camping?

I'll be bringing my nieces with me. We won't be doing the 4x4 trails. I'll show them part of the Gold Fever Trail, do a little mountain biking and rock hounding. It's their first time camping so I'm going to keep it easy on them.

My X is still IFS and I haven't got my sliders done yet, so I might have to skip or ride-along some of these. Should be OK for Gold Mtn, White Mtn, Dishpan Springs and W. John Bull.

One trail I'd like to run that I haven't been on in years is Holcomb creek. Other than that I'm game for anything.

I still don't have a clue where to camp...

First post updated with attendees list.

Slight change of plan for me...I've got a friends b-day party to attend saturday night so I'll head up Friday and find a place to camp.

I may even head up on thursday if I can get the Ranger ready in time.

Would it be easier if we just meet up at the Discovery center at 9am Saturday morning and hit the trails from there?

Camp spots

I still don't have a clue where to camp...

I agree with BKennedy. Yellow post #6 seams ideal and there's an alternate just a short distance away.

YP6: 3N14 N from from Fawnskin, pass Holcomb Creek, turn left on 3N97 and barely 1/4 mile at the right fork. GPS: 34°18'33"N 117°00'22"W

ALT: Just around the corner. Primitive spot at the end of the left fork (road going south from 3N97 on my map). GPS: 34°18'17"N 116°59'50"W

Here's the map again if anyone needs it.

I would have had to back out of this regardless. I have a funeral to go to Saturday now.:(

Ok, i'm a little relieved...I was dreading backing out of my own thread but now that others are I won't feel as bad now.
The Ranger isn't ready mostly due to my procrastination and I think it would've been to much to try and camp then shoot over to my friends b-day party.

How about we reschedule for sometime next month? I really need a weekend getaway up there.

Ok, i'm a little relieved...I was dreading backing out of my own thread but now that others are I won't feel as bad now.
The Ranger isn't ready mostly due to my procrastination and I think it would've been to much to try and camp then shoot over to my friends b-day party.

How about we reschedule for sometime next month? I really need a weekend getaway up there.

Good deal for me, there is just too much going on around here. I have been working 12 hour days at the BIO Convention down here, am working at Petco Park tonight, then agreed to take a job tomorrow and Monday - Thursday next week. I know it sounds like a regular day at work for most of you, but not for me. I am used to working just a few days a week.:D Yesterday I had to manage a crew of 30 guards, work with the CHP Dignitary Protection for three governors, and the Secret Service for Mrs. Clinton as we had the perimeter security for her 2800 person luncheon. Luckily, I knew some of the CHP guys, and the head of the SS detail, so we already knew we worked together well. It went smooth, but what a headache.

There were some amusing moments. Had a CEO of a very large Belgian company demand to be allowed into the luncheon, while it had already started. He actually tried to push his way past the guard, which did not work out for him. He stood outside the in/out door pouting for an hour before he sulked off. Threw a man out of the convention who was wearing a ID badge that said his name was "Tiffini" (I know, you never know, but his real ID said otherwise). He was going through the VIP entrance when noticed, and was genuinely upset and blamed us that he could not go see Hillary.

Going from the public sector to the private sector is no easy transition. In the public sector, most people are motivated by the common good, doing the right thing, and having a detail completed with the principal safe and sound. In the private, its all about money. Public sector, no one on site gives a crap about what its going to cost. Private, there are several people there, just to count every penny.

So officially this weekends run is cancelled BUT let's just reschedule for next month:thumbsup:

I like Ritsui's suggestion for Yellow Post Site #6 : 3N14 N from from Fawnskin, pass Holcomb Creek, turn left on 3N97 and barely 1/4 mile at the right fork. GPS: 34°18'33"N 117°00'22"W

For those who don't know the yellow post sites are usually undeveloped campsites. That means there's no running water, pit toilets, fire pits or other amenities. Although I have seen one YP site with picnic tables.

Anyhow, everyone get your rigs in order and let's camp/wheel...no excuses!:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..If you don't mind I'll swap "July ?" into the title or would you like a different title?

Back