96 5.0 needs a new motor | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 5.0 needs a new motor

Awesome, that's what I needed to know.the last piece of the build is the transmission and I'm hoping to get the it in the shop for the rebuild sometime next week so I can start going back together with everything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What size injectors will you be running? Will this require a Tune with any of the engine modifications your doing?

If you need any linkage for your 4406 or any other small items, send me a PM and I can check my local Junkyard. Lots of Explorers and F150's in there.

Dig the color - same as mine (see link below)

why the body lift?
Intake spacer and injectors later, get it running properly then worry about the updgrades over and above what you already have

What size injectors will you be running? Will this require a Tune with any of the engine modifications your doing?

If you need any linkage for your 4406 or any other small items, send me a PM and I can check my local Junkyard. Lots of Explorers and F150's in there.

Dig the color - same as mine (see link below)
Just going to stick with the stock injectors for now. The cam using probably wont require tuning but not tuning it would be a little pointless, as for the linkage, vroomzoomboom has already helped me out on that and I got it in the mail yesterday. Gotta love a green ford though, I've had 2 other 90's fords in this color.

why the body lift?
Intake spacer and injectors later, get it running properly then worry about the updgrades over and above what you already have
Well I'm doing the body lift now since I will already have most things disconnected and out of the way, making it a lot easier to get to all my mounts. I know it definitely could wait a little while but doing it now is just easier and will make the 4406 swap a little easier as well, figured if I've already got it torn down this far might as well get as much done as I can.

Transmission just got finished up. Borgwarner clutches, steels, bushings, new bearings, bushed the servo pin bore, trans go kit, billet stubshaft, spiral snap ring, new electronics, precision converter, machined the pump stator. More pics DRT Transmission Okmulgee,Ok

FB_IMG_1536092675968.jpg

FB_IMG_1536092683069.jpg

Got my lower intake cleaned up and installed on new felpros. Also cleaned and installed my injectors.

20180904_185759.jpg

would you mind doing me a large favour? i want to see how far out the crank sits at the front main cap. could you take a picture of it for me?

would you mind doing me a large favour? i want to see how far out the crank sits at the front main cap. could you take a picture of it for me?
Will do when I get off work this evening.

Vroomzoomboom here you go.

20180907_153721.jpg

Is the 5.0 you are pulling out going to be spare ? the long or short block that is ?

Is the 5.0 you are pulling out going to be spare ? the long or short block that is ?
Not entirely sure what I'm going to do with it yet. May sell it, or build it, or just let it sit for a while. If I do build it, then it will be for something other than the Ex. Time will tell.

Camshaft position sensor and synchronizor, timing cover and water pump installed today. Gotta get my valve covers sand blasted and powder coated. Got them halfway blasted at work and the blaster broke.

20180908_172622.jpg

Not entirely sure what I'm going to do with it yet. May sell it, or build it, or just let it sit for a while. If I do build it, then it will be for something other than the Ex. Time will tell.
The reason that I was asking is because It is possible that a new member Charles.perkins167 down in central ms would need a block. he just purchased a '97 5.0 powered Explorer and later discovered that the freeze plugs were pushed out. I think that he is at the point of installing new freeze plugs and going to test it to see if his block is cracked or not. He is in the modified '95-'01 section building a '49 F-1 on to an Explorer chassis.
https://www.explorerforum.com/forum...9-ford-f1-to-ford-explorer-frame-swap.474751/

The reason that I was asking is because It is possible that a new member Charles.perkins167 down in central ms would need a block. he just purchased a '97 5.0 powered Explorer and later discovered that the freeze plugs were pushed out. I think that he is at the point of installing new freeze plugs and going to test it to see if his block is cracked or not. He is in the modified '95-'01 section building a '49 F-1 on to an Explorer chassis.
Questions about 1949 Ford F1 to Ford Explorer Frame Swap
Well I wouldn't be opposed to selling it to him, it was running when I pulled it but had a lifter ticking and a head gasket leaking, also dont have a water pump or timing cover for it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Motor, trans, and 4406 are all ready to be installed at this point. Just waiting on a buddy to have a free weekend to come help with the trans at least. Hopefully have her running in a few weeks.

20180924_022244.jpg

20180924_064656.jpg

Back