Wind / Whistle Noise from Front Door / Mirror? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wind / Whistle Noise from Front Door / Mirror?

How high pitched a whistle sound is it? Is it the type of high pitched whistle us dinosaurs (45+ and up) cannot hear anyway, but younger fellas do hear?

Honestly.. whistle in someone's ear and that is what it sounds like. It is high pitched and very present if you have it. Cant miss it. I hear it with the window closed and mich louder with it open. Basically cant drive with the passenger window open.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Honestly.. whistle in someone's ear and that is what it sounds like. It is high pitched and very present if you have it. Cant miss it. I hear it with the window closed and mich louder with it open. Basically cant drive with the passenger window open.

Yeah, but what is strange is that sometimes you hear the whistling noise with windows up or down, but sometimes you don't hear it at all. Constant whistling sound would just be unbearable to drive in, especially for longer trips. If I hear the noise with windows closed I will fold the mirrors to see if the sound persists.

I have tried to briefly open the window when it is howling, it changes pitch while opening the window, getting sharper. That is what has led me to believe it might involve the seals. IDK, just want it gone. I love the truck but WTF....

No expert, but I tend to think a high pitched noise requires air being forced through a small passage, like how you change the pitch of a human whistle by pursing your lips tighter. Has anyone tried covering the mirror enclosure, mirror to attachment arm and the area where the mirror attaches to the door with blue painter's tape to see if the sound changes or goes away? Just a thought.

No expert, but I tend to think a high pitched noise requires air being forced through a small passage, like how you change the pitch of a human whistle by pursing your lips tighter. Has anyone tried covering the mirror enclosure, mirror to attachment arm and the area where the mirror attaches to the door with blue painter's tape to see if the sound changes or goes away? Just a thought.

More like air passing over a small hole. Imagine how a flute is played, or the beer trick of blowing over the top of a beer bottle.

Rat mentioned that the noise changed as he opened or closed the window making him suspect the window seal. I like the painter's tape idea. Try the painter's tape trick over all the window seals, where the seal meets the window, and where the seal meets the door frame. You could also tape the gaps between the door and body, move out from there to the passenger side A pillar, roof rack, etc.

I know our 2008 is different, and our noise is not a whistle, but the window seal has separated from the window frame. When I push it back into the window frame everything is silent again.

I'd also inspect every attachment on the passenger side for alignment and gaps, or anything separating.

When you take a vehicle to a dealer, or any service place, the service manager probably gives this diagnostic job to the low guy on the totem pole and tells him he's got 10 minutes to find something, then to move onto another vehicle. He'll say anything so he can be productive and move onto the next vehicle as soon as he can. You can take more time doing the taping off yourself, then be able to tell the service manager what you found. I know they're supposed to do all this diagnostic stuff themselves, but you'll spend more time arguing and getting nowhere. This may not always be the case with dealers, but I can see why things like this go back to the service multiple times. I had an electrical fault on my power seat once. The car had already been to the dealer service for the same issue with the previous owner and they said they'd honour the previous warrantee on that. They said it was fixed, and the seat moved for me on the dealer lot. At home it stopped again. I got the wiring diagram, found the relevant electrical connector, opened it up, and found a bullet terminal was pushed out. I snapped it back in and never had problem again. This job had to be given to a rookie, he wiggled things around and got it to work, then said fixed. I could have argued with them, but then I'd be the customer from hell and I'd probably have bad service for more important items. And, they were very good to me for other things.

When open and close the window you are changing the aerodynamics. I think it's an issue with the mirror. Some of the 5th gen Explorers had a similar issue.

Peter

Same issue with my 2020 limited. Took it back to the dealer and they replaced the door seals and still have the issue. I sent my service manager an email detailing this post and I'll see what they do next.

Welcome to the Forum shoulyne.:wave:
I don't have the issue on my Aviator but I'm reasonably sure that it is the mirror causing the issue.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum shoulyne.:wave:
I don't have the issue on my Aviator but I'm reasonably sure that it is the mirror causing the issue.

Peter

I suspect that too - seems very similar to the issues that Volvo experienced on their XC60 and XC90's with the mirrors making noise.

It's 100% a thing for me too. Noticed it today for the 1st time after opening the window on this beautiful 70 degrees day in North Carolina. What will Ford do with this? Are recalls only for safety related issues? Only option now is to power up that big sound system....sigh...

Drove hwy last night and didn’t hear any wind noise in the xlt we purchased. Have to see if some noise starts to form or stays dormant

It's 100% a thing for me too. Noticed it today for the 1st time after opening the window on this beautiful 70 degrees day in North Carolina. What will Ford do with this? Are recalls only for safety related issues? Only option now is to power up that big sound system....sigh...
Welcome to the Forum Sylvain. :wave:
Yes, recalls are only issued for safety-related issues. For others where there appears to be a growing trend with unanticipated issues, they will usually create a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin).

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Sylvain. :wave:
Yes, recalls are only issued for safety-related issues. For others where there appears to be a growing trend with unanticipated issues, they will usually create a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin).

Peter
Peter, what have you done in your situation that you would recommend I do, with my dealership?

Go to the dealer and have them record the issue. Several members here have done that but as far as I know, I don't believe anyone has reported a "fix" for this issue. At least if you have the dealer check it out, there will be another report on this problem.

Peter

My mirror will be installed end of next week so will report back then on whether it fixed it.

Did anyone with the issue put layer(s) of painters tape around the door seam, window and side mirror to eliminate where it was coming from?

Can't find the other thread for some reason but wanted to report an update on my passenger side whistle.

Just picked up the Explorer after the dealer ordered and replaced the passenger mirror. The whistle is now gone 100%. Tech took it for a ride and confirmed it over the phone. I went on the highway today up to 85 mph with the window open and there is zero whistle. So mirror replacement does solve this annoying high pitched whistle that is constant above 30mph.

We you able to keep the old mirror to compare and find out why the old one was causing the whistling?

We you able to keep the old mirror to compare and find out why the old one was causing the whistling?

You can not keep parts that were replaced under warranty so no I was not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@ blwnsmoke, GT_ST in post #7, shows a difference the right and left mirror wher the drivers side looks like it was designed to move air away from the window.

Back