FAKRWEE Navajo Roll Cage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FAKRWEE Navajo Roll Cage

Well after my last trip to Rick's a couple of weeks ago and after seeing all the rollover pics and movies at Moab I decided the time has come. Rick and I did Judgement Day and one of the obstacles is a dry waterfall. Yikes. They say a picture is worth a 1000 words.

waterfall.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So as of tomorrow my rigs goes to the shop to get a roll cage installed, I still haven't figured out the details.

The first thing was to take everything out, seats, arm rest, center storage, floor mats and everything inside. Saved some money there.

I didn't do a write up taking everything out, I was pretty lost, but I'll do a write up on the install.

117-1760_img.jpg

117-1756_img.jpg

117-1754_img.jpg

117-1757_img.jpg

The more details the better!!!!

I am planning to do a full cage in my BII in the next couple years, so it should be similar to your process.

Are you going to tie into the frame?
I guess we shall see!!!

Just dropped off my rig today at 4XDR. We're still in the design stage but have a pretty good idea as to how it's going to look. Here's what we have up to now.

1-I'm eliminating the rear seat. so if anyone needs one let me know.

2-In the rear seat compartment on the passenger side I'm having a spare tire carrier installed. Tire will lie flat. This will keep the weight in the middle and close to the COG. On the other side is a carrier for a cooler with tie down clamps. This will leave the cargo area empty to devise some sort of carry box like JEFE has. I'll post a picture to give you an idea. It will also have storage under the spare for small items.

3-On the diagonals behind the front seat I'm having some clamps made to carry the hi lift, pull pal and shovel "a la Rick."

4-It's not going to be a full roll cage all the way to the back. I want to keep weight down as much as possible. It will cover passenger and driver only. If I roll and crush the rear I'll just make it a convertable.

5-I'm debating taking out the roof liner and incorporating the bars into the liner so you can't see them. But cost may be a limiting factor. That would be cool because you can maintain the same headroom more or less.

6-Besides the diagonals behind the front seats it will have 2 overhead and 2 front bars and 1 low bar across the doors. The rear lateral bars will taper downward to the back. I'll try and get a drawing so it'll make sense.

7-I'm also thinking of rigging the doors with quick disconnects and fitting brackets to the bars so I can install a safety bar when I decide to take them off. Sort of a poor mans half door.

They are are starting to work on it tomorrow. I'll be out of country all next week but they will be sending me daily pictures by e-mail to keep me posted.

Next week I'll post the details of what we are going to use to build it.

Here's a picture of Jefe's rear storage box which I think is killer. I'm hoping to convince him to do mine.:D The big difference is my spare will be in the front behind the passenger seat leaving the top for cargo and the floor level.

116-1632_img.jpg

Man, everytime I think I'm catchin' up with you guys you have to jump another step ahead. . . oh well, hopefully you'll run out of stuff to do soon :D

Nice shot of my rear storage box. :thumbsup:

I know how you feel Jefe. I have been on this board since 1999 some time and have been trying to keep up with Rick. I called it quits w/ the coil overs and decided to move on to drivetrain, ie, the 700R-4 tranny.

Diff Whack Daddy

Dont give up on the R -4 I,ve got some new info coming from a friend in San Bernadino who has done it already. He took a diferent approach. I will post as soon as I,ve figured it out. Sorry FAKRWEE for hijackin the post. I wont post on this subject agian here.;) Did you find a hella-big change collection when you pulled the interior??

Are you planning on keeping the stock seats or going to something else? Are they going to tie the seats into teh cage?

Nice shot of my rear storage box.
Yea pretty soon it'll have a clone.:D
Are you planning on keeping the stock seats or going to something else? Are they going to tie the seats into teh cage?
Hey Ryan, I'm keeping the stock front seats for now but the seat belts will be attached to the cage. The rear seats are out for good.
Did you find a hella-big change collection when you pulled the interior??
Yep, sorta like a piggy bank. Also a 20.00 bill I had lost years ago.:D
oh well, hopefully you'll run out of stuff to do soon
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

20 Dollars?! I'm taking the seats out of mine tommorrow...LOL :)

Cool I eventualy want to put a cage in my X but I will need the back seat and access to it, rear doors functional. I just need to find a place in N Col that custom builds cages.

Tim

Got some new pictures of the progress today. I'll post some tonight and do a writeup tomorrow.

rollcage1.jpg

Measuring and bending.

rollcage4.jpg

rollcageb.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rollcagea.jpg

Back