Something w/ rabbits. 72.5 pages of BS | Page 47 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Something w/ rabbits. 72.5 pages of BS

So seeing as spring is just around the corner, I thought I'd start a thread on the future undertaking of swapping in the Dana 60.

The axle is from a 1986 "Fawwd" F-threee "fitty", sporting some kingpins and a whole lot of rust. I took this axle apart a few months ago (except stupid me didnt remove the pinion nut before breakdown :rolleyes:) and had it hot tanked. I wanted it sandblasted, but the machine shop owner smirked and said "naaah yo, that junx is too big for my blasting cabinet" .. okay except he didn't really say that cauz he's old and a really cool guy. ANyways *twirls blonde hair*, this is my plaannn:

- WMS-WMS this axle is just a bit over 69" wide so I'm going to cut the passenger's side down a few inches to match 'ye ol General Motors 14-bolt axle. So this is going to require custom axle shafts and I think I'm going to go Chromos and 35-spline outers off the bat from the most awesome guys at Complete Off Road.

- Drive flange or lockouts? They are about the same in price and its a dedicated trail rig so I'm leaning towards the drive flanges. Right now, the cheapest flanges I found are the Teraflexes at $180 for a pair. If anyone knows of a better deal, please let me know :D !!

- High-steer arms and a double-ended hydroponics goodness ("cylinder").

- Opposite-ended panhard bar! The idea is to mount the chassis end of the panhard on the passenger's side frame rail and the axle end on the driver's side. Doing so should allow a more simple and cleaner design since the axle-mount can be mounted on top of or near the differential housing, instead of a tower on the passenger's side (like in my current D44 setup). I also plan to boost the panhard as far up as possible to increase the roll center of the front suspension. Yeah the concept is a little strange but I'm hoping it'll work and won't have any issues (no drag-link to factor into the design). But if anyone knows of any problem running this config, please chime in!

*EDIT*
- Detoit Locker for the carrier. I'm please with how the Detroit in the 14-bolt has performed so I figured I'd run the same in the front. Of course 5.13s to match the 14-bolt.

So here's the little guy, he's been in this position for the past few months just collecting dust:

DSC000871.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the megaSquirt yes. But its also available already assembled as a unit (plus a bit more $$) but its still not a true plug and play in that case because you still have to solder the proper outputs to the correct sensors and stuff -- like injectors, O2, and so on. And per say its sole purpose is to drive fuel delivery, not spark. But it easily interfaced to the Ford EDIS-4 or EDIS-6 ignition module (which your vehicle should already have).

Megasquirt II is capable of controlling fuel and spark on many different systems. Mine for example is contolling a late 80's GM small cap HEI. The computer controls advance, dwell, etc. It is also capable as IZ stated of driving the Ford EDIS system, as well as many others.

It is definitely not plug and play. I like it for the flexibility it gives me, plus the cost is pretty low. For those interested, there is ALOT of information at The Megamanual, as well as at DIY Auto Tune.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Good luck. If you have ??s, feel free to PM me.
Ooof, you'll regret saying that cauz now I have the first question:

EDIS is found only up to 95 vehicles (in other words, non OBD-II): True or False?

If true, then I'll need to visit the junk yard and pull a unit out (vehicle already has the 36-1 tooth, and coil packs).

Depends on the which EDIS you're talking about.

EDIS-4 - 1990-1993
EDIS-6 - 1990-1997
EDIS-8 - 1990-1997 & on some 5.0L Explorers until 2002

I also found applications for 2 different EDIS-6; 1 with a vertical primary (1998-2000) & 1 with a horizontal primary (1989-2004)

Depends on the which EDIS you're talking about.

EDIS-4 - 1990-1993
EDIS-6 - 1990-1997
EDIS-8 - 1990-1997 & on some 5.0L Explorers until 2002

I also found applications for 2 different EDIS-6; 1 with a vertical primary (1998-2000) & 1 with a horizontal primary (1989-2004)
Okay thanks, I guess its safe to say that I'll just look under the hood of a 90-97 Explorer.

From another thread:
How are you planning on making this work?
This is the core of my rear disconnect idea. Its pretty much the same concept as most gear driven transfer cases use to disconnect the front driveshaft where two similar "male" gears are joined together via a "female" gear that sleeves the two together. The only added challenge in a rear driveshaft disconnect is the need for support because 1) we dont have a casing like there is in a transfer case, and 2) we have a bad habit of putting some vertical load on the driveshaft. So each of the "male" gear will have a ball bearing pressed into it and the two gears will be held together with a bolt (with a sleeve). The bolt then must be pretty large in diameter and high grade / hardened to support the rock bashing. In other words, where a transfer case supports its main shaft via the casing, my idea is to support it internally with a large diamter bolt.

rear_disco1.gif

I havent modelled the rest of the parts for now because I still need to do some dimensional analysis once I get the OD of the splines and what ball bearings, thrust bearing, bolt, and so on will work. But you should get a pretty good idea of the core parts.

EDIT -- I just had a design change, to the image above is only mostly correct!

I need the height width and legth of the motor not including the fan but including the intake.

Length: As measured from the front of the water pump to the back of the block - 25".
engine13.jpg

engine23.jpg

Height: As measured from the bottom of the ladder frame mounting surface to the top of the intake plenum PLUS the height of the ladder frame (the SOHC's oil pan is not really an oil pan, its pretty much a flat cover to the bottom fo the ladder frame) - 27.5"
engine33.jpg

ladder.jpg

I also need the length of the m50d from bellhousing to tcase mounting flange.
As measured from the back of the block to the rear of the tailshaft housing - 29.25":
trans1.jpg

trans2.jpg

What is the legth of the 1354. from the front mounting surface to the center of the rear output U joint.
I'll get this tomorrow or later tonight - the transfer case is kind of hard to get to right now.

hey IZ, Got a question about the winch mounted on the axle. After seeing that cherokee rip the axle off in the hillbilly recovery video I started thinking about your setup. Did that cross your mind?

I know a winch is mounted with 4 9/16" bolts and your arms will be mounted with much larger hardware, but are you concerned at all with winching from the axle?

I have my 1354 in my basement so I grabbed a measurement. its 12.75" from front mating surface to the rear flange, I dont have the ujoint portion from the driveshaft on it.

hey IZ, Got a question about the winch mounted on the axle. After seeing that cherokee rip the axle off in the hillbilly recovery video I started thinking about your setup. Did that cross your mind?

I know a winch is mounted with 4 9/16" bolts and your arms will be mounted with much larger hardware, but are you concerned at all with winching from the axle?
Neh I'm not really worried - 22k pounds for a 9/16" bolt Gr-8 in single shear. I think that Cherokee got its axle ripped out because of wrong extraction procedures -- shouldnt really yank a stuck vehicle with that much speed. Plus I'm not sure a bolt was the thing that failed on that vehicle, could have been a weld.

Thanks for the measurement redranger4.0 - saves me from crawling under my Explorer tonight :)

After seeing that cherokee rip the axle off in the hillbilly recovery video I started thinking about your setup.
Okay, you can't go around mentioning videos without links....its just not right.

Okay, you can't go around mentioning videos without links....its just not right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJA3J--g_yI

After looking at the video some more, I think what happened is the chassis "walked" over its axle. With one tire deep in that hole and no limit strap on the axle, the link went to normal full droop, kept rotating past normal droop, goes to 90 degrees and eventually the link pointed backwards -- much like how we walk, moving the front foot to the back. However, being a solid axle, it pivoted on the other tire and the passenger side of the axle rotated towards the driver's.

maybe just shouldn't put yourself in those kinds of situations:rolleyes:

I mean really, why did pull him out that way? should have pulled him out the way he came in, being mud and all.

I hate mud:rolleyes:

Edit: sorry I noticed they did try but got no traction... looks like a weld broke...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJA3J--g_yI

After looking at the video some more, I think what happened is the chassis "walked" over its axle. With one tire deep in that hole and no limit strap on the axle, the link went to normal full droop, kept rotating past normal droop, goes to 90 degrees and eventually the link pointed backwards -- much like how we walk, moving the front foot to the back. However, being a solid axle, it pivoted on the other tire and the passenger side of the axle rotated towards the driver's.
Thank you, you are my hero.:thumbsup:

They didnt want to get the superduty dirty.

Mud is fun but stinks when it comes to working on your rig. Been there too much.

Hey Izwack....i was going through your thread again and saw the pictures of the d60 parts. If you can, grab inner axle seals from a superduty...such as these http://mad4wd.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69&products_id=471

they are a waaaay better seal. The day i rolled my mounty over we were in 2 feet deep snow and muddy water for the better parts of a day. The jeep with us (D60) had the trumpet style horns and found out why his locker stopped working. Water and ice got in and filled up the case pushing the gear oil out. Pretty much his diff was an ice block. My axle looked like i just serviced it with no water intrusion at all.

Just thought i would give you a heads up.

Wow okay thanks '97 V8.

Hey IZ, I had a question about this pic...I mean I get it, but whats with the thing staring at you? Kinda creepy:p:

saving_copy.gif

Stic -- you've been out in that Tujunga (!!!) sun for too long, cauz I dont see anything and I've been staring at it for 5 minutes now!!

LOL he edited the original image .. whatever that thing is, it doesnt exist.

Back