Mechanix's going solid. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mechanix's going solid.

I thought it would be a good time to start this thread. I have decided to go SAS in the Explorer. I bought a 79 Ford F-150 3 days ago for the donor vehicle. Up front I will be running a Dana HP44 with 5.13's and some kind of a locker. I have yet to decide if I want a locker or a spool, I am leaning towards the locker. As for the rear I am going with a 9" Ford from the same truck. I will be running 5.14 gears and spool for ease of maintance and to save some cash. I will be staying full width. My plan is to have this all done in 3 months. I will be posting pics as I go. I welcome all ideas, comments and suggestions.

Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

subscribing, sounds like a good build....what are you planing on for tires?

subscribing, sounds like a good build....what are you planing on for tires?

I currently have 36 Iroks, I plan on continuing to run them. I am not sure on what rims I am going to run yet.

are you going to be useing anything else from the 150, transfer-case, engine swap? and also what type of suspension are you going to run?

Good to hear that you found a parts truck....That helped me out a bunch...

sounds exactly like my setup cept for the coils. Have fun, its well worth it and the spooled 9" is the best way to go for them.

are you going to be useing anything else from the 150, transfer-case, engine swap? and also what type of suspension are you going to run?

I will be using the front end parts radius arms maybe the radius arm mounts. I am still undecided about the engine trans and tcase from the f-150.

As far as the suspension goes, with the information that I know I think I only have two options for the axle. The C wedges are cast into the alxe. I think the one option is to run the stock radius arms with the cast C wedges or option two retube the axle and run a 4 link. I am still in the process about searching about the retubing of the axle. If I keep the radius arms I want to cut them off about 8 or so inches from the end and weld on a tube and install a heim joint. Like I said, I am still in the planning stage, researching and also working on gathering parts and such.

if your going as far as retubing the axle, just get a early 70's HP front, same thing but with drum brakes and weld on wedges, dirt cheap at most yards caus they have drum brakes that no one wants. It cost me $50 to convert it to disks, then I ground off the wedges and I had clean tubes for leafs or links.

Just use the stock arms, put heims on them if you wish and wrist the passenger side, that setup will flex like mad and save you $$$$

Dang, I was watching this item on ebay (270080816645) and I wanted to bid on it when I got out of court, but we went a little long this morning and I missed it. Whoever won the bid, just got some pretty good axles for $26. They look like they need some work, but would be a nice addition to an Explorer.

Today I pulled the 8.8 out and ordered some parts. They should be here within the week and then the good times should roll!

Eric

Time to order more parts. Any know if the James Duff springs are any good or the radius arms? They look pretty good, I had some James Duff arms on my Dana 35 and they seem very stout. Also who makes a good upper coil mount? I was eye balling the ones at Jeff's Bronco Graveyard. For 85 bucks each they seem pretty stout aswell.

I would just utilize the stock upper coil bucket and save yourself the $$.

As far as coils I would go with BCBronco, Wild Horses, or JBG Superflex coils.

Duff and Cage arms were designed by the same person so you can't go wrong with either.

www.bbpfab.com for your coil buckets...i think he has them listed on his page there.....if not you can find pics of them at rrorc...nice and beefy, plus pottsy is a great guy!

On the BC Bronco site I see a 5.5" ,5.5" w/winch, 6.5" 6.5" w/winch. I know the diffrence between the 5.5" and the 6.5" but which ones would be the best?

5.5;)

I like my 6.5" with full height buckets.

On the BC Bronco site I see a 5.5" ,5.5" w/winch, 6.5" 6.5" w/winch. I know the diffrence between the 5.5" and the 6.5" but which ones would be the best?

I have the 6.5" w/winch springs I think they provide a better ride on and offroad than the 5.5 WH springs they replaced

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like my 6.5" with full height buckets.

I have the 6.5" w/winch springs I think they provide a better ride on and offroad than the 5.5 WH springs they replaced

I was thinking of these. I will place my order soon. So far I have all my parts for the 9" except the spool, need to tear into the axle to determine the axle spline count.

Back