03 fliptrac $700 daily driver (summer of fun with 4 sport tracs) | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 fliptrac $700 daily driver (summer of fun with 4 sport tracs)

I would love a combination of the 3.7 and a turbo, the factory PCM etc, if it's not outrageously complicated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would love a combination of the 3.7 and a turbo, the factory PCM etc, if it's not outrageously complicated.
With all the modules not needed being deleted from the pcm, it would be fairly easy swap. I'd like to use the coyote pcm on a V8 swap so I could use an electric steering rack.

With all the modules not needed being deleted from the pcm, it would be fairly easy swap. I'd like to use the coyote pcm on a V8 swap so I could use an electric steering rack.

Do you mean any 5.0 PCM? The 2014 F150 PCM I was told to buy for running the SBF and the 6R80. I have that for my 98 project now, I'm next wondering if the 2014 Mustang 5.0 they can also tune for the SBF, that one has the Sport mode shifting(stays in a lower gear than normal).

What is special about the electric steering rack, and for which application?

Do you mean any 5.0 PCM? The 2014 F150 PCM I was told to buy for running the SBF and the 6R80. I have that for my 98 project now, I'm next wondering if the 2014 Mustang 5.0 they can also tune for the SBF, that one has the Sport mode shifting(stays in a lower gear than normal).

What is special about the electric steering rack, and for which application?
Both, the F150 and Mustang 5.0 pcm can be tuned to run the old school 302 motor. I'm wondering if all the various transmission modes could be added to a pcm that doesn't contain them all? The 11 and up Mustang steering rack could be retrofitted into other applications. No more power steering leaks or pump failures is what I'm after.

Very good. I have no idea what they can do, the first step was when I learned the later PCM could run the SBF and the 6R. Figuring out how to install a display below the cluster like the later cars is another task. That would be nice to be able to upgrade a PCM, but either way it's worth trying. I've got a new PS pump to go into my 98 now, it's been whining for a while now.

The digital displays available for the late model cars would be a sweet retrofit to an older car.

The digital displays available for the late model cars would be a sweet retrofit to an older car.

I meant to replace the analog gear display under our cluster. Late model cars have that in the cluster to show which actual gear is active, plus any special mode like the M for manual or S for Sport. So in theory I need a simple display there; but the tricky part will be matching the signal from the PCM for the late model cluster, to the small added display.

Been beating the 03 $700 trac daily my wife and I both driving it all winter. I have changed the oil twice
She runs fantastic no new codes, the snow tires have been amazing she continues to impress. And then…..

Wife says she’s making some brake noise
Grinding front left
I drove it holy heck sounds metal on metal! It was so emergency front brake job. This time i did new calipers (248k miles) and changed drivers rotor w a good used one

drive it and all is well except new noise in the front drivelines so I changed out the old u joints in the front driveline. They were greasable crappy joints so i installed spicer lifetime

Another week new noise in back…. U joints fried. So I changed the u joints in the rear shaft and visited the rear brakes w new pads and serviced the calipers (slide pins were dry)

When I put the truck together I re used the brakes and u joints the pads had some life left and the u joints were still tight from the black donor trac. Well greasable u joints just don’t hold up back here not unless I grease them every month and I don’t because we have like 5’trucks and a ton of machines. I love oem u joints no grease zerks they last 150-200k miles so that is what I install. Brake pads are semi
Metallic brake calipers are reman brake best from oreilly. Let’s see how long these hold up
All is well she’s ready for spring mud season

The word of the day is “indicator”
As in wear indicator …
Holy smokes

737322C7-A228-40AE-B412-06D697DF39B6.jpeg

2D25BC20-DFBE-44A1-B785-F694C47DF33E.jpeg

3C630BC0-489F-486C-A45E-2C8707752052.jpeg

V8 runs properly clutch is great, 4wd works awesome… I love sport trac this white one will likely become my sons first car
I have new leaf springs for it and it could use some lower mile t bars (hits bump stops too easily) otherwise she’s stellar!

BD305075-7386-41AA-8EA7-D8B4E318C048.jpeg

Slow passenger power lock, plugged pass front sunroof drain can wait till spring
Also I picked up a new tailgate handle that has built in camera spot. I had no idea these were avail until I saw it on this forum. So the rear camera will go from the license plate to the tailgate handle…much cleaner.

Later this summer I will start on the blue 04 trac Build… d44 ttb for that one will be my personal rig

You got the goody out of those pads. I tend to harvest rotors/pads from the junk yard. I just watch for stuff in good shape. I scored a all but new set of rotors this last fall. Somebody had already poached the calipers, the emergency brake was on so the rotors were "stuck".

I love that sportrac. I'm glad I got to ride in it. I kinda want to build one.

Find the Ford SD pads for the front, keep those on hand. I've liked those better than virtually everything else, they have all features and last as long as all others. I found another new set last week when I was cleaning my garage.

Wow, those pads!!!

I ordered all greaseable Moog joints for my Mounty, but you're probably right non-greaseable is the way to go for dirt/gravel road driving. I'll go that route once I grind through the joints I have.

I need a V8 sport trac

Yes but yours will be a punched out 351 on slicks ;)

I’m convinced they are the best because 4 full doors power down back glass and a bed without riding like a ranger

I did learn that when the parts guys says “after something something of 01 or before” I should pay more attention. You see I was buying u joints for a 01 explorer because I know that’s what fits my driveshafts (1330x joint) and so I’m like I better get rear brake pads while I’m here so I have him toss them in the order. Thinking nothing of it actually being an 03 sport trax. So I told the kid “I don’t think it makes a difference” and just grabbed the brake pads
Wrong
The rear calipers have phenolic pistons after 01 and the earlier inner pad won’t fit because the retainer spring is about twice the size…
Whoops back to the store I went more
Humble this time

Now I know! In my head all 95-05 8.8 rear calipers the same! Wrong let’s see if I can remember that in three years when it’s time for rear pads again lol lol

Been beating the 03 $700 trac daily my wife and I both driving it all winter. I have changed the oil twice
She runs fantastic no new codes, the snow tires have been amazing she continues to impress. And then…..

Wife says she’s making some brake noise
Grinding front left
I drove it holy heck sounds metal on metal! It was so emergency front brake job. This time i did new calipers (248k miles) and changed drivers rotor w a good used one

drive it and all is well except new noise in the front drivelines so I changed out the old u joints in the front driveline. They were greasable crappy joints so i installed spicer lifetime

Another week new noise in back…. U joints fried. So I changed the u joints in the rear shaft and visited the rear brakes w new pads and serviced the calipers (slide pins were dry)

When I put the truck together I re used the brakes and u joints the pads had some life left and the u joints were still tight from the black donor trac. Well greasable u joints just don’t hold up back here not unless I grease them every month and I don’t because we have like 5’trucks and a ton of machines. I love oem u joints no grease zerks they last 150-200k miles so that is what I install. Brake pads are semi
Metallic brake calipers are reman brake best from oreilly. Let’s see how long these hold up
All is well she’s ready for spring mud season

The word of the day is “indicator”
As in wear indicator …
Holy smokes

View attachment 449729

View attachment 449730

View attachment 449731

V8 runs properly clutch is great, 4wd works awesome… I love sport trac this white one will likely become my sons first car
I have new leaf springs for it and it could use some lower mile t bars (hits bump stops too easily) otherwise she’s stellar!

View attachment 449732

Slow passenger power lock, plugged pass front sunroof drain can wait till spring
Also I picked up a new tailgate handle that has built in camera spot. I had no idea these were avail until I saw it on this forum. So the rear camera will go from the license plate to the tailgate handle…much cleaner.

Later this summer I will start on the blue 04 trac Build… d44 ttb for that one will be my personal rig
when is baylee starting to drive? thatll be one nice truck for him to drive!

April! In Idaho we can start them young! In April he starts his driving class and then once they graduate that he has a permit! My grandson is a year older and is already permitted and has completed many hours of driving. He is getting a bronco ii with a 4.0 Dana 35 and 8.8 he and his dad are
Building it is very nice!
These kids have no idea how spoiled they are! Hahaha

Amazing build! Holy cow!

Soooo, If I drop my ST off tomorrow will it be done by March? LOL

Yes but yours will be a punched out 351 on slicks ;)
You know me well. Speedmaster is selling an relatively inexpensive big bore 351W block and I've found a similarly priced chinesium grade stroker kit to take it to 438 Cid. Add a blower for some 4 digit power.

Changed the snow tires back to summer tires
Passenger valve cover is leaking a little bit and I saw some wetness on passenger brake caliper. Will power wash the winter mud and grime out of the engine bay and address the leaks.
Passenger door lock actuator quit working
Otherwise 03 truck is stellar after a long drawn out wet winter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back