FROADER's 2005 F-150 FX4 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FROADER's 2005 F-150 FX4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been there.

Just to show what the tent looks like. This is the tent I bought.
It will be opening to the passenger side when on my truck.

I like the look of that, but, how will it stand up to the Big W? Last time I brought a tent out to truckhaven I used 18" concrete spikes for tent stakes and the big W managed to break 3 of the poles.

~Mark

Mark - From what I've read, these hold up really well to the W and rain.

Update! It doesn't suck having a best friend that has good fab skills with all the right tools who likes to use them.

Winter and I decided to get started last night so we weren't working during the hottest time of the day today... We planned to get everything bent and mocked up, so today would just be burning all of the welds in. We started after 5 pm and ended up "finishing" it after he burned the last weld just before 1:30 am. So we don't have to work on it at all today! :)

Material:
Front and side hoops - 1.5 1/8 wall
Square cross bars - 1.25 3/16 wall
Angle iron - 1.5 3/16 wall

Here are the pics from last night.

IMG_1307.jpg

IMG_1308.jpg

Fab:
IMG_1314.jpg

IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1318.jpg

IMG_1339.jpg

IMG_1346.jpg

IMG_1347.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

Welds:
IMG_1355.jpg

IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_1360.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

IMG_1375.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1381.jpg

Just like my drawing, it's got a tab for the antenna at the top of the hoop in the middle and two tabs for lights near the rear of the side hoops.

I'll be getting pics of it in the light today with the tent on top/deployed too. Then it will make it's way to the powder coater (hopefully sometime this week) and be done! I decided against the hi-lift mounts on the side hoops for mounting it on the rear bumper (when that gets built).

This cost less than half of the Thule Bed Rack and it look much cooler.

Booya!!! :D

Baaad ass!!

Thats tight - and a nice opportunity for the D70 eh :)

And I quote DMX: "Looking at that ass made me wanna do something tonight"
IMG_1318.jpg

Pics!

lookin good so far colin

LOL - there's a dog!!! :) !!!

That does look awesome though - time for a freaking multi-day trail run.

Good looking tent, Colin! You better keep the dog's nails trimmed to avoid a shredded tent.

FYI - there's an article in the September 2010 issue of "Four Wheeler" covering the "Overland Expo 2010" - some good pics of camping on-the-go including this type of tents.

Very cool setup! Can't wait to see it at T-haven:chug:

FYI - there's an article in the September 2010 issue of "Four Wheeler" covering the "Overland Expo 2010" - some good pics of camping on-the-go including this type of tents.
Tons of pics over on expeditionportal.com as well. Since it's mostly those guys that were there. :)

Very cool setup! Can't wait to see it at T-haven:chug:
Thanks, I'm thinking of trying it out in the next couple of weeks just locally. Maybe Malibu Beach or San Onofre.

Just picked this up on my lunch hour. It's the exact same that I had in the Explorer. Basically brand new and got it for $40.

Attachments

• 3nd3k53m15V35T35Q4a6da3a2f792586a1404.jpg
    3nd3k53m15V35T35Q4a6da3a2f792586a1404.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 662
  • 3nc3k13oa5V15W25X1a6d4a55d22fdb8d16ce.jpg
    3nc3k13oa5V15W25X1a6d4a55d22fdb8d16ce.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 652

Colin that tents going to be so much better then sleeping in the truck bed with the top closed!!lol

Truck looks great man!! I'll be watching this thread from now on!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Colin that tents going to be so much better then sleeping in the truck bed with the top closed!!lol

Truck looks great man!! I'll be watching this thread from now on!!

But he is isn't going to have near the amount of room as he did when he was camping in the back of that u-haul :)

~Mark

Back