• Register Today It's free!

1992 Mazda Navajo Project

Heres the deal I got this truck for 200.00
I had problems
The kid that had it before me trashed it
the list of things
Both front fenders trashed (replaced)
Both Headlight trashed (replaced)
Front and rear bumper bent (sawzall fixed that)
No turn signal (modified)
Missing sun roof (found one)
Valve covers leaking (new gasket)
Exhaust leak (working on that)
4 wheel doesn't like to engaged (fixed)
Both Mirror trashed (replaced)

Right now I'm in the middle of work on it
Got the valve gasket changed, did a tune up,
just went to the junk yard and found
(2) front fenders
Headlight assembly and grill
heater motor
sun roof
(2) new mirrors
cut front bumper and installed tow hooks
have a transfer case on it way, also have mile marker hubs and a three inch body lift coming

I plan on going with 4:88 front and rear with mile marker manuel hubs
Decide on Powertrax lockers to put in the rear Maybe front?
Also going to be running 5.5 superlift and 3 in bodylift
to fit the 35x13.5 tires on
I will either right now cut the roof off or leave apart on it on but put either a custom roll cage (me) or a prefabriated on in

For the exhaust i was think custom and also a snokel to keep me out of trouble

Trying to get all this done for under 3500
Any suggestion on the project would be helpful

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a plan, snorkel is not avail for our truck so you would want to fab one.
I'd seriously consider a solid front axle or a Dana 44 ttb swap in there cause I run 35's and have blown hubs, hubs, spindles, hubs and shafts and a couple hubs, wish I would have listened cause I now own a TTB lift kit, and a dana 35 locker and gears+install kit for gears, and rims for this bolt pattern while I still can't keep the shafts and hubs from popping and my outer spindle nut comes loose from running too large of tires. Just food for thought, tell me what you think (hell make an offer on my 4.56 locked front 3rd member, skyjacker lift, hubs and rims and I'll probably do a solid axle and come out cheaper)

parli22,

Go with 4.56 gears or 5.13 if you go with 4.10 you will wish you would have gone lower. 4.10 are great if you have 32" tire are smaller but any bigger it is a pain to drive. My Explorer with 36's and 4.10 is slow as hell. so I bought some 5.13s

Good luck!

Sounds like you got a great deal on the truck.

Kris, your truck is slow as hell? I have 3.55's turning 33's! Now mine is slow! But he is right, always overanticipate what you want (better for the future too).

Chris

Sounds like a sweet deal. Some Guy up in Colorado did a simular set up with the top on his navajo... I never got to see any pictures. I agree with Kris, my 3.73 suck with 33s... Hey chris hows about hooking a brother up with some of those obselete 4.10s!
Lets see the truck in some NY action!

If any one is interested I have a set of 4.10 rear gears (sorry I dont have any fronts) coming out of one of my Axles tomorrow for 5.13 install. Plus they have only been in my Truck for a year.

Parill you might want to figure a way of mounting the alternator on the roof, i remember a certain water hole at Paragon that whipped you!

:D

Happy trails!!

Originally posted by JoshC
Parill you might want to figure a way of mounting the alternator on the roof, i remember a certain water hole at Paragon that whipped you!

:D

Happy trails!!

ROFLMAO

Although.....I think he needs the room on his roof for the sheep :D

Hey Chris, since this is gonna be an off road vehicle, just spool the rear axle instead of putting in a locker. It's a lot cheaper. You can get spools for under $50. I'd still use an air locker in the front though. Cornering with the front end locked is a *****.

Ha, I'm running 3.27s with 33s in my black truck. It sucks, but it works until I can get enough resources together to buy and lock a d44 up there.

Thanks Jeff for the comments
Although.....I think he needs the room on his roof for the sheep
JoshC Parill you might want to figure a way of mounting the alternator on the roof, i remember a certain water hole at Paragon that whipped you!

Happy trails!!
\\
Thought that was funny.
I was thinking about spooling the rear truck and an easy locker in front. The Gears are still up in the air because they haven't been done yet and won't be done till late spring.

My Other truck on the hand i will be running the either 3.73 or 4.10. More lening towards 4.10

Right now parts are showing up and I will keep you guys posted on the progress of the Navajo
:thumbsup:

Congrats on your purchase of the best off-road rig in the world. Bar none. I'm kinda partial to 92' Navajos myself.:D

If you can, stay away from the 3' body lift. They are more expensive than you think and cause problems. Anything over 5.5' lift converts your "mean machine" to a "Lean machine". It really screws up your center of gravity on a short wheelbase.:roll: Consider going to 35X12.50 instead of 35X13.50. I ran the 35X12.50's for over a year with a 5.5' lift and never had problems. You will have to chop here and there to get them to clear. My RTI was almost 900 and the tires never rubbed.

If your gonna run 35's go with the 4:56s. It will give much more crawl and control. The key word is crawl.

Good luck

Let say that all the thing sthat i had to get done are done.
Body Work done
4wheel drive works
Only things now waiting for are the hubs and 3in body lift.
All other items will be purposed and install in the spring
Mainly because it getting to cold and have to caught up with the bills. Other then that I'm looking into regearing my other truck.

Hey Parli, you comming out to Paragon with us this weekend? If so, which rig would you bring?

NEWER MODEL EXPLORER V8 SWAPS

I have a '99 Explorer XLT 4X4, it had a 4.0 SOHC motor which recently blew (still trying to find out why). i had been planning on dropping a 302 soon anyway and had been looking into it for a week or so.

I have been having difficulty finding info. related to '99 explorer swaps. All i can find is stuff on 91-93 or rangers which is not much help.

I am planning on getting a brand new crate motor

There are a few things that concern me:

1) Will the stock tranny be o.k to use with the new motor?....will it need to be reinforced?

2) What would be the best ECU to use?........i would like to use one from a 95 cobra but i need to know if it will be compatible with the tranny and rest of the engine.

3) What are the best motor mounts to use?

and finally....

4) can i use the accessories from my old motor?.......starter, pumps etc.

Any info would be a great help. the ford dealerships are really ****ty and don't really cooperate.

thanks!

Had to put the project on the back burner for a time money reason. Mainly because Christmas is coming and have to buy present for my family.

I think that is a reason that alot of us are using!! That's okay, everyone comes to hault this time of year.

Happy trails!!

Back