1993 Explorer Engine control Computer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 Explorer Engine control Computer

allenhudson91

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham, Al
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 4.0 XLT
Can someone please tell me where the electrical engine control unit is located on a 1993 ford explorer 4.0? A picture or diagram would be nice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if its anything like a 93 ranger, the powertrain control module (PCM), is down on the driver side firewall under the cruise control vacuum canister, and the ignition control module is under the dash board behind the ashtray.

probably behind passenger side kick panel, It could possibly be in the engine compartment. Look for a large electrical plug coming out of the firewall on the passenger side It might be attached there or like i said behind the kick panel.

Does anybody know if the EEC can cause all my plugs to fuel foul on the passenger side of the engine? They foul within 10 minutes.

Bad wiring or an ECU can do that.

IIRC that is sort of what happened to DannyBoy. We put a new to him motor in his truck and it was filling a cylinder up with fuel. He swapped out the wiring and the computer and it stopped dumping fuel into the motor. It was dumping enough to hydrolock the motor.

~Mark

^^^
I think I found Danny's problem in the harness he sent me. I found chaffed wires going to the injectors-
93 is batch fire, and therefore the injector wiring is all tied together on each bank. Now, if the tan wire, just one of them, is chaffed, and contacts ground, this will "turn on" the entire bank of injectors. I found such chaffing in that harness he sent.

I didn't think it was important at the time, as I had another engine harness to choose from. And it was already fixed. Besides, when I try to explain stuff I tend to confuse the issue further.

OK,
On the alternator bracket you will see 2 large electrical connectors. these go to the "engine harness"
Trace them up to where the injector plugs branch out, up in the area of the water neck. It was in this area I found green patina on the exposed wiring, and a few bare wires touching each other.

Slight correction
Look in the loom where the Throttle position sensor, IAC valve and IAT sensor wires separate from the fuel injector wiring bundle. You might have to dig into the plastic conduit. I took a picture and will get it uploaded soon

Back