1998 Sport D-44 SAS Complete!!! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Sport D-44 SAS Complete!!!

98 Sport D-44 SAS Complete!!!

I wanted to wait till the truck was done b4 posting here, but here I am, the truck is done.... FINALLY.

The gears and locker are in, and the new driveshaft is in, and it works great, I had it out on the highway and it seems to get a better ride at higher speeds..... Good thing....

Specs:

D44 Front axle from a 84 Grand Waggy wide-trac
4:10 Gear ratio Locked
Warn Manual hubs
Leaf spring suspension
Rancho 5000 shocks all around
94 X steering box
Tom Woods custom front driveshaft
Woodring driveshafts custom rear driveshaft
rear SOA and 3" blocks
Modified Tranny Crossmember (to allow driveshaft to fit)
all the rest of the SAS is custom fabricated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by cdsl227
I beat the hell outta mine on the street, got a lead foot don't dodge potholes...and if you've got any idea of what the potholes here in Brooklyn are like- it's like off-road abuse!

Mine's an 01, but it's holding up to the abuse that put away three good cars in 2 years with no problems.

I got one question for you though...I found a D44 from an 82 Grand Waggy...I'm going to look at it (actually pick it up) tomorrow.

Is yours HP or LP?? Drum or Disc? and lastly- does it have the vacuum disconnect??

I've found all kinds of stuff on the Jeep Axles, but have come up wanting.

I want to go leaf as opposed to coil, and if this goes through tomorrow morning I'll be on my way.

By the way, if you got a closeup or two of your spring hangers...they'd be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Mine is a LP , disc, and NO VACUUM DISCONNECT!!!! NEVER GET A VACUUM DISCONNECT AXLE!!!!

Ill look for some pics for ya

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

You got a 6 on 5.5 lug pattern right?

Have you found any adapters for that?

As soon as I saw the axle had 6 lug I figured I'd better look for adapters before taking it...and well no luck. Performance doesn't have anything that goes 5-4.5 to 6-5.5.

Ok, I've found out I can swap out the knuckles to get 5-5.5 lug pattern...only problem is finding the knuckles, so I'm picking up the axle tomorrow morning. :D

If you don't mind me asking, CDSl....you live in Brooklyn, right? Why do you want to do a SAS?? I can speak from experience when i say handling is far below par, especially where there are potholes or bumps....

Ive been wondering the same thing. Ive been here for 3 years and the closest place to wheel is Paragon.

Originally posted by Spas
If you don't mind me asking, CDSl....you live in Brooklyn, right? Why do you want to do a SAS?? I can speak from experience when i say handling is far below par, especially where there are potholes or bumps....

Ummm... :D Because I can! :D

No seriously, I want to be able to wheel it...I took that thing on the beach one day and all it could do was dig a hole to bury itself. :mad:

AWD with open diffs, s#cks.

Besides, at 40, I still got a lot of kid in me and I want to look down at the Expeditions that think they rule the road! :D

Plus I figure it'll help keep me from getting speeding tickets. :D

Gotta go slow or I'll rollover. ;)
Plus it'll probably ride/hold up better than the stinkin IFS in the streets. If it doesn't, it'll be a lesson learned.

Last, but by far not least-

It'll look SWEET!!! Especially with the TrailReady bumper on the front! :D

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Originally posted by cdsl227
Ummm... :D Because I can! :D

No seriously, I want to be able to wheel it...I took that thing on the beach one day and all it could do was dig a hole to bury itself. :mad:

AWD with open diffs, s#cks.

Besides, at 40, I still got a lot of kid in me and I want to look down at the Expeditions that think they rule the road! :D

Plus I figure it'll help keep me from getting speeding tickets. :D

Gotta go slow or I'll rollover. ;)
Plus it'll probably ride/hold up better than the stinkin IFS in the streets. If it doesn't, it'll be a lesson learned.

Last, but by far not least-

It'll look SWEET!!! Especially with the TrailReady bumper on the front! :D

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Its the only way ta go!!!!!

and as per the going slow part.... I get mine up to 90 without a problem.... and then hit the trails and outwheel the jeepers..... its the best of both worlds, altho it doesnt track as strait as the IFS.... BUT WHO CARES!!!!!!

hey Spasy... u got experience huh??? what kind of experience ya got???

Gotta go slow or I'll rollover.

I dunno about that, dude....I take my 7 ton international (which has an I Beam and leafs for a front suspension) up and down Fort Hamilton sometimes 3 times a week and I can get the front end off the ground on some of those sinkholes :D

But hey, to each their own...at least you could just run over those damn cabbies ;)

Lizard, more experience than you, you old fart :D :D

See driving in Brooklyn IS like being off-road! I see a win-win situation! :D

I dunno about that, dude....I take my 7 ton international (which has an I Beam and leafs for a front suspension) up and down Fort Hamilton sometimes 3 times a week and I can get the front end off the ground on some of those sinkholes :D

Do you mean the actual Fort Hamilton here in Brooklyn?? Or on Fort Hamilton Parkway?? If you mean the actual miliatry base thats crazy, I live like maybe a quarter mile from the entrance. But maybe there is another Ft. Hamilton you are talking about.

Lizard, more experience than you, you old fart :D :D

OH really??... last time I checked, you still have yet to prove yourself.....

I can get the front end off the ground on some of those sinkholes :D

Get on Farragut Road, going from Coney Island Ave headed toward Flatbush Ave...cross Ocean Ave doing a decent speed- I got about 2 feet of air crossing that intersection one time!! :D

if you want the truck to ride better through the city, and don't plan on being on the trails every weekend, leave the IFS, the reason car companies use IFS is the nicer rider over the SFA, just my .002

Honestly, I like the stiff ride that the leafs will give.

I think a smooth ride should be reserved for Lincolns...if I wanted a car I woulda bought a car.

I know I got taken in when I bought this thing because of the AWD and IFS, but I had plans to modify it before I even bought it.

I just didn't think I'd have to break out a sawzall to get it done! :(

I welcome the stiff ride and personally think in the street the leaf sprung SFA will hold up better than the IFS. Now whether or not the frame will take the abuse is another story, but I think it'll hold up.

It was either do the SAS or start putting money into the IFS...I'd rather take my chances with the SAS.

A Truck should ride like a Truck. :D

I know you guys may have more experience at this, but I've driven pickups and trucks and I still prefer the rough ride over a car.

All I know is that driving our F-250 4x4 off-road through Brooklyn was great. It made for a fun driving experience. People just moved and potholes didnt matter at all.

4 less bushings to wear out!

2 for the upper arm, 2 for the lower arm...that equals 8.

only 4 for the leafs! :D

Something else to consider when doing a SAS....this garage has 6'11" clearance :eek:

(Who? Me? Have too much time on my hands? Now why would I suggest something like driving a huge explorer into a parking garage?! :D )

Attachments

• chris garage.jpg
    chris garage.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,138

Check out Chris's bling bling blue neons :D :D :D

Attachments

• chris neon.jpg
    chris neon.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 1,137

Originally posted by Muskrat
if you want the truck to ride better through the city, and don't plan on being on the trails every weekend, leave the IFS, the reason car companies use IFS is the nicer rider over the SFA, just my .002
Or you could pour some dough into a coilover sas which would probably ride better than a T-bar ifs setup, espically with some extra meat between the rim and the asphalt.

paragonflex.jpg
She flexs pretty good!!!

Back