2003 ford explorer 4.0 ohv swap to sohc 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 ford explorer 4.0 ohv swap to sohc 4.0

FurdEXxxxploder02

Reaction score
City, State
Burlington ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 ford explorer 4L ohv
Callsign
Explodahhh
Hi there guys really just honestly seeing if its worth it to swap the sohc engine into my 2003 explorer with the ohv engine and what would be needed for it. Just looking for some insite i do have some experience with them and if possible il do it in the mear future!

Lemme know what you guys think iv had a 1999 with the sohc and loved it.

*new to forum gimme what ya got!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it has the ohv engine I'd leave it that way, the sohc engines have a poor timing chain design.

I do know about the timing chain problems they had, but i never had an issue with the one i had, and also would probably do the timing chain and all that, the ohv runs great, just really wanna know if it will go right in and what id need to change computer, trans etc in no rush just like that engine and i never had a problem with it and it had 250,000km when i sold it zero lights on ran mint

If i can just drop it in then awesome, only would if the ohv would take a **** on me so not any time soon, its at 280,000km now but still in great shape for a 2003

I am assuming you have a sport or sport trac? Since you are posting this in the 3rd gen explorer section and not the sport/sport trac section, you might not get the answers you need. That being said, if you are going to go through that much trouble, why not swap a 5.0 or something that is going to make it worth it? I thought ford stopped using the OHV in 2000? I have always liked the SOHC engine, I've had several, and yea, they have timing chain issues once they get some miles on them, but they are easy enough to fix, I consider it maintenance, not a problem.

2001 was the last year of the ohv. If yours is a 2003, it is a sohc.

I wonder if they kept the OHV for the Canadian market if it is one? Is it a sport?

Nope not a sport or sport trac, and i am in canada but i cannot find any info on the ohv ever being in the 2003 explorer, its a 2 owner vehicle first being a older lady who traded it in to a ford dealer then my dad got it 8 years ago from them and now i have it so i know its never been swapped and i am 100% sure its the 4.0 ohv as it says it on the cover for the engine and its slow as balls lmao. Iv had a 99 explorer limited with the sohc and it was way faster then this one by a ton

Not sure how to post pictures let me know if that worked im on a lg g4 no computer lol

Have to use someplace like Photobucket, then paste the image code here

A total of zero 03 Explorers were produced with an OHV engine. Doesn't matter if it's a 3rd gen 4-door or a Sport/Sport Trac, none had an OHV. Also nothing to do with being in Canada. I'm in Canada and my son's 03 Sport Trac has a 4.0L OHC, which is the same engine as used in the 03 4-door 6 cylinder.

Hmmm yup all my sources show the only option was a 4.0 sohc

Back