• Register Today It's free!

2004 explorer limited v8 swap

Adrian401

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer limited
What’s up guys! I recently bought a 2004 explorer limited 4x4 with a 4.0l engine. Just got done doing a lift and put some 265/75R17 tires. Wasn’t long before noticing the notorious rough idle the 4.0s have and a slightly hard shift. Was about to start buying parts to do a complete timing job and trans overhaul kit but figured I’d rather spend the money to do a V8 swap and get the much needed power this truck is lacking. Just curious to see if anyone has done a 4.6 swap for this 3rd gen 4.0 and how exactly I should attack this project. Any advise much appreciated!

What’s up guys! I recently bought a 2004 explorer limited 4x4 with a 4.0l engine. Just got done doing a lift and put some 265/75R17 tires. Wasn’t long before noticing the notorious rough idle the 4.0s have and a slightly hard shift. Was about to start buying parts to do a complete timing job and trans overhaul kit but figured I’d rather spend the money to do a V8 swap and get the much needed power this truck is lacking. Just curious to see if anyone has done a 4.6 swap for this 3rd gen 4.0 and how exactly I should attack this project. Any advise much appreciated!
welcome to EF!!!! where in cali you at? this thread may be useful 3rd gen 4.0L to 4th gen 4.6L swap
not sure if this is of use since the ranger i more akin to the 2g, not 3g, but figured id dump it anyways The Ford 4.6L (281 CID) Engine - The Ranger Station

Back