21Robbie21 SAS | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

21Robbie21 SAS

ok so last night i went and picked up a '84 wagoneer D44 Full Width or WT, Driver Drop, Non-Vac Disconnect, W/Locking Hubs, Complete, its got rust and mud, but it seems good to go. I'm going to run leaves for simplicity. I am 2wd right now and the SAS will be the first step toward 4wd. The axle is 63" wide so i think im going to run spacers in the back. I want to do this as cheap as possible. I want to run 36" Iroks or another 36/37 when im finished. Im hoping to finish in ~3 months, but im not sure how realistic that is. Bryan (BMXking) lives close to me, and if he ever finishes his :D he will have the PRIVELEDGE of helping me :thumbsup: i am open to any suggestions, ideas, tips, tricks, specs, references, or anything that might help me do this project professionally, cheaply, and quickly. I just spent 200 on this axle, ordered a yakima roof basket, and a new cobra CB and antenna, so im outta cash for now, and im going to PC for spring break on April 1st so i might not take any steps these next two-three weeks. But after that im anxious!

sorry the rugs arent a good background, but its in the unfinished part of my basement and thats whats on the floor and damn this thing is heavy!
100_1347.jpg

100_1351.jpg

100_1348.jpg

you think its dirty now? this is after i hosed and scrubbed of the initial Cm thick covering of mud

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i assume he's keeping the 8.8 and, as he stated, getting new shafts that match the lug pattern on the front.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

yeah but that's a wide track axle. It's a decent amount wider than the 8.8, around 5" I think. I guess some spacers would solve that, but they'd be pretty big spacers.

jasonb said:
yeah but that's a wide track axle. It's a decent amount wider than the 8.8, around 5" I think. I guess some spacers would solve that, but they'd be pretty big spacers.
aha yeah, im running the same front axle as Robbie. i'm going with a wider 9" for the rear tho from an older f150.

if im getting new shafts could i get them lengthened or would that be impossible or too much trouble?

21robbie21 said:
if im getting new shafts could i get them lengthened or would that be impossible or too much trouble?
The axle tubing would need to be lengthened too - the proper term I think is re-tubed. You can do this yourself, you just have to buy new axle tubes. Altho you will probably need a machine shop to press the tubes into the diff housing (they need to be aligned too). I once found a webiste that had axle tubes, but now I dont remember the site or company. But search around on google if your interested in retubing, I'm sure you'll find a few sources. The website below mentions retubing the 8.8

http://www.code4x4.com/projects/axle_88/axle_88.html

The other option is to find an 8.8 from an F150 or something - I think their rear ends were a little wider.

whats the WMS to WMS of the explorer 8.8, because my d44 is 63 or 62.5 and that last link you haze izwack, the guy said he made the 8.8 3" overall wider for a 65" WMS to WMS, meaning the 8.8 is alreay 62? i think if its only an inch or so ill just use spacers

not sure what the WMS-WMS measurement of the stock 8.8 but since your adapting a new bolt pattern, just go with wheel adapters - they will change ur bolt pattern from 5 on 4.5 to the 6 on 5.5 that the d44 is on AND space your rear wheels out.

^^Yep

I believe the stock rear is 59-60". The 5 lug Ford is 65-66 and everyone always says it's six wider than stock. Looks good, you bringing some of the parts on Tuesday?

buy the time you get spacers that change it to 6 lug they'll be as much or not much less than a new set of superior shafts. id go with the shafts....only like $ 250 if i remember 034x4s price right

Yeah, but then he still has the width issue in the rear. If he didn't need to change width, new shafts would obviously be the best choice.

yea thats right...i didnt think about that....god robbie you just had to get a wide track didnt you lol

I would of done the same thing. I'd rather go wider than stay stock width...especially when he wants to go as big as I did.

JS91X said:
buy the time you get spacers that change it to 6 lug they'll be as much or not much less than a new set of superior shafts. id go with the shafts....only like $ 250 if i remember 034x4s price right
the wheel adapter thingymajigs are around $100 or so. I think Ive seen them for less than that too - maybe around $85 .. and thats two birds with one stone (lug pattern and width)

IZwack said:
the wheel adapter thingymajigs are around $100 or so. I think Ive seen them for less than that too - maybe around $85 .. and thats two birds with one stone (lug pattern and width)

Not the 5 on 4.5 to 6 on 5.5 spacers. The problems is a few of the holes end up being very close together. It ends up having to be a 2 piece design. Only a few shops even make them and alot of places that sell wheel spacers wont even sell the 2 piexe spacers. Eather convert the front to 5 on 5.5 or get new rear axle shafts.

RockRanger said:
Not the 5 on 4.5 to 6 on 5.5 spacers. The problems is a few of the holes end up being very close together. It ends up having to be a 2 piece design. Only a few shops even make them and alot of places that sell wheel spacers wont even sell the 2 piexe spacers. Eather convert the front to 5 on 5.5 or get new rear axle shafts.
This is what I found what I was going this route (2 piece design - Wheel Adapter 5 Lug 4.5" To 6 Lug 5.5 Thickness 2" ):
http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Adapter_5_Lug_4_5_To_6_Lug_5_5_p/5450-6550.htm

Somethings not right about that. One of the holes WILL over lap. My rotors were re-drilled to fit the 6-lug flange on the axle shaft and there is one factory hole on both rotors that is over-lapping with one of the new 6-lug holes.

Because it is 2 piece one lug is ontop of another. Look at it this way. You have 1 set of lug nuts holding the spacer to teh axle then one set of bolts holding the spacer to the spacer most likely threaded into aluminum and then you have a set of lug nuts holding the rims to the spacers. Add to that you are probably running a 35-37" tire and rim combo that weighs probably over 100lbs on your 5000lb explorer that will see some abuse on teh rocks. Not quite the same beast as the mustang rinning 18" rims on the street that they talk about in the description.

If you are going to go through the whole brake system and bearings up front anyway it really isnt that much more expensive to swap it to 5 on 5.5 (just need spindles)

RockRanger said:
Add to that you are probably running a 35-37" tire and rim combo that weighs probably over 100lbs on your 5000lb explorer that will see some abuse on teh rocks. Not quite the same beast as the mustang rinning 18" rims on the street that they talk about in the description.
I are not running this setup (going to 5 on 5.5 d44 and a ford 9") but I just wanted to throw that out as an option. I think there are others that have ran a lug pattern conversion or had the axle shaft redrilled and then spaced.

EDIT: going to run 8-lugs (convert the front d44, run a 14-bolt in rear)

well i guess ill get new spindles up front and spacers in the rear and make it 5 on 5.5, what sites have you guys ordered parts for your rebuilt axles from? do you guys think i should buy this its a basicly stock waggy steering system, ive been reading on skunk/lizartrac's SAS and he used the same axle as me with the stock leaves SOA and used the stock steering with a custom bent drag link, if that suff ended up going for like 200+50 shipping, is that way to much, especially not knowing if i can make it work? if im looking for a stock system should i just keep junkin around? i figured i could try out the stock stuff and then if i have to upgrade certain components to high steer. Jason B let me borrow the sandblaster, so im working on cleaning everything up well, it sounds like a nice deal getting to use it, but man is it work, ill post pics wen im done sanding, grinding, priming and painting

I wouldn't buy that and pay $50 shipping. I'd get a local shop to make one for you. I can recommend you to a few in the area, one really close by.
The 5 on 5.5 stuff... I have a friend selling some of that.. let me check with him tomorrow to see if he still wants to get rid of it.
Sounds like you are having trouble with the sandblaster? keep watering up on you? Compressor not keeping up? The tip is getting pretty wore out but last time I used it everything was smooth sailing.

Back