Completed Project - jamest's "RE-SAS" | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project jamest's "RE-SAS"

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
... or SAS pt.II, or SAS redeux, or axle remix thread. :p:

As some of you know, ive recently got a 94 sport that is the typical fullwidth HP44 with coils/arms, fullwidth 9" type swap. Its currently on radial 36" Iroks.

Right now im lowering it down 4" and extending the wheelbase a couple of inches. It wheels great but its just too tall for what i want to do. Ive got some Bilstein 7100's in the mail and my general idea is to make this more of a dual sport type rig that can get it on the rocks and also be able to blast some fire roads and play on the sandbars here in the summer.

Currently the truck has 4" blocks under the back and a "W" shaped set of hybrid 4 door packs. Im going to take the blocks out, throw on a freshened set of low mile 4door leaves with the overload removed, run anti-wrap pertches with the holes redrilled to move the rear back on the springs 2".

Pic below is why you DONT run shock boots. This was an Arizona rig and never really saw any mud after sureshot40sw bought it-

Attachments

• sas1.jpg
    sas1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 4,790

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i cut my rockers to move my sliders up, i love the clearence...

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Nothing much to add, just wrapping up some loose ends before Moab.

I ordered some Timbren bumpstops yesterday, so ill be building some mounts here in the next week or two. Gonna experiment with them... maybe i can come up with the right rate for Explorers. I have a feeling the ones i ordered are gonna be on the stiff side- no big deal, it will give me an idea on where im at and i can sell them and order softer ones if need be.

I also just changed the power steering fluid and HOLY CRAP i have one finger steering again. If you have a trail rig with a front locker and its been a couple of years since you've changed the PS fluid i would recommend it. :thumbsup:

"New" springs are on. I made some landing pads for the new bumps... i hope they get here/ i can have them installed before Moab. :) Still working on the front.

Also i did a tad more cutting on the rockers since now i know im not going to run tube on the outside of them. Basically i cut the flat part back to expose all of the rectangular tube and put some old skool grip tape on there.

Attachments

• sas69.jpg
    sas69.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 804
  • sas70.jpg
    sas70.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 768

Looks good. Are you trailering the rig or driving it? I trailered mine last time I was in Moab 2002 :)
Have fun.

Trailering. Ive got the crappy Dodge now and i bought a 20ft. car hauler off of sureshot40sw

How is sureshot liking the EB and does he want his Explorer back yet? :D

How is sureshot liking the EB and does he want his Explorer back yet? :D
He wants the Exploder back daily because ive slowly done most of the things he never did but told everyone on the innernets he was going to do some day. :p:

The Bronco was sold all of 1 month after the trade- he's now building an 02 TJ on 40's. :rolleyes:

On a related note- sureshot and a buddy of ours bought an old speedometer shop downtown and are opening a 4x4 fab shop... apparently i'm going to work there on my off weekends.

To start out it will be word of mouth, only open Fri-Sat-Sun type of thing since both of them are working 4 10's at their normal jobs and im off fri-sun every other weekend. Things will change if it takes off.

Attachments

• Shop.jpg
    Shop.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 748

That sounds super cool. If it takes off, I may be looking for a job come the end of November.

You're more than welcome here... are you sure you know what you're getting into climate-wise? :D :p:

Made a little coaster bar for my infamous passenger that's always *****ing about my driving- this should at least give him something solid to white knuckle on

Attachments

• sas71.jpg
    sas71.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 758

You're more than welcome here... are you sure you know what you're getting into climate-wise? :D :p:

Body's adjust to climate after time. It may suck at first, but I would easily adapt. Besides, that's wht they made AC's, heaters, and swamp coolers for. :D

Swamp coolers dont work here... too much humidity. ;)

I do love the fact that we dont have winters though. Ride the bike to work year 'round.

Looks great James. Diggin the shop.

On a related note- sureshot and a buddy of ours bought an old speedometer shop downtown and are opening a 4x4 fab shop... apparently i'm going to work there on my off weekends.

To start out it will be word of mouth, only open Fri-Sat-Sun type of thing since both of them are working 4 10's at their normal jobs and im off fri-sun every other weekend. Things will change if it takes off.

:scratch: If you all are working there on your off time from your regular jobs, when is you personal recreation time for wheelin gonna be?

Mine will be whenever i want, as we have an agreement that im going to "work there whenever i feel like it". :D

More flux core and pipe (OMG we're all gonna die!!!1!!!)

Bump mounts are 2 3/8" by .250" wall, which is some 2" schedule 80 i had laying around. Okay, its not quite .250" wall its more like .230-ish. Bottom plate is .25" with the bolt welded into it, the bumpstop screws on with blue locktite (ill keep an eye on it)

Dunno if ill have time to do the front mounts or not, im rushed as it is. :p:

Attachments

• sas72.jpg
    sas72.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 696

Almost forgot-

Bumpstops are Timbren model #A170-75. 2 3/4" tall, 1.1" crushed... with a 3 3/8" gap ive got 5" total uptravel. I dunno yet but i think they are gonna be too stiff. Need to test them first.

Im also building something ive always wanted on a trail rig, but never did. Dedicated trailer tie down points on the axle housings. Ignore the half of a leftover spring perch and shock mounts as this housing is only temporary-

Attachments

• sas73.jpg
    sas73.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 699

... and yes, i spray painted over dirt. Im trying to get ready for Moab dammit! :p:

Im also building something ive always wanted on a trail rig, but never did. Dedicated trailer tie down points on the axle housings. Ignore the half of a leftover spring perch and shock mounts as this housing is only temporary-

Ha, me, JR, and Painter Ken beat you to that one, lol. Ours don't pivot though, a little bit lower tech, but definitely functional in taking the tie down process down to half.

Ha, me, JR, and Painter Ken beat you to that one, lol. Ours don't pivot though, a little bit lower tech, but definitely functional in taking the tie down process down to half.
Mine dont pivot either... the D ring is welded down both sides and there is 5/8" rods welded to the D ring for support. :) Ive seen it on alot of rigs and wanted to do it for a long time, ive just been lazy. :p:

Back