21Robbie21 SAS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

21Robbie21 SAS

ok so last night i went and picked up a '84 wagoneer D44 Full Width or WT, Driver Drop, Non-Vac Disconnect, W/Locking Hubs, Complete, its got rust and mud, but it seems good to go. I'm going to run leaves for simplicity. I am 2wd right now and the SAS will be the first step toward 4wd. The axle is 63" wide so i think im going to run spacers in the back. I want to do this as cheap as possible. I want to run 36" Iroks or another 36/37 when im finished. Im hoping to finish in ~3 months, but im not sure how realistic that is. Bryan (BMXking) lives close to me, and if he ever finishes his :D he will have the PRIVELEDGE of helping me :thumbsup: i am open to any suggestions, ideas, tips, tricks, specs, references, or anything that might help me do this project professionally, cheaply, and quickly. I just spent 200 on this axle, ordered a yakima roof basket, and a new cobra CB and antenna, so im outta cash for now, and im going to PC for spring break on April 1st so i might not take any steps these next two-three weeks. But after that im anxious!

sorry the rugs arent a good background, but its in the unfinished part of my basement and thats whats on the floor and damn this thing is heavy!
100_1347.jpg

100_1351.jpg

100_1348.jpg

you think its dirty now? this is after i hosed and scrubbed of the initial Cm thick covering of mud

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:thumbsup: Make sure you clean that thing up. Looks like a good project though

-Drew

21robbie21 said:
i am open to any suggestions, ideas, tips, tricks, specs, references, or anything that might help me do this project professionally, cheaply, and quickly
hi robbie.. i dont have any tips or tricks, but i do have a request if u dont mind ;) when you rebuild the d44, could you please do a detailed writeup? i have the same axle as u do (full width) tho mine is sitting in the shed :(

If you pull off the hubs, rotors, etc. we can use the parts washer at work on Tuesday night to clean them up. Also, if you are planning on reusing those rotors, (if they measure more than the amount on the back) I can turn them at school or maybe at work if we've got the time.

Did you already have William order that stuff for you? I haven't seen it around the shop, was it in stock at Keystone?

EDIT: one more thing. Keep an eye out on this site: http://www.intercotire.com/site.php?pageID=55&newsID=7

They've got Super Swamper blems, so you should be able to score a nice set of tires for cheap. You need a set of these :D

SSR 37x12.50R20LT $220

subscribin

aight well im here to weld if ya need me and you better have this rollin by the time school over lol

cant wait to see it robbie i think im catchin the sas bug also but im gonna do a d 30 front because i can get one for FREE aadn same bolt pattern as rear 8.8

i have a brand new set of those TTfabs perchs that i never used. along with the u bolts 80 bucks and they are yours

21robbie21 said:
The axle is 63" wide so i think im going to run spacers in the back.

If all the six lug stuff is in good shape on the front axle then buy new axle shafts for the rear with a 6 lug bolt pattern. It will be chaper then buying all the parts to convert the front to 5 on 5.5 and then spacers on the rear.

Also if you plan on going leafs up front more then likly you will have to do histeer to get it all to come out right. Hi steer is $$ by the time you piece it together. Otherwise coils might be cheaper.

These are the two things I would have done different on my SAS.

thanks for the comments guys, keep em coming, Izwack ill try to keep notes for a write up, rock ranger how much did your entire swap cost you, and more specificly, the high steer, because i still have time to consider what im doing because the only thing i have bought is the axle, and as you saw my main reasons for leaves was cheapness and simplicity, bruce thats cool, if you do it make sure u start a thread and it has to have pics ofcourse, james keep practicing your welds so youll be ready, reranger ill keep your offer in mind, 034x4, i hope mine turns out half as good as yours, your truck looks good, and when im finished me, you, yomie, and bmxking are gona tear some trails up together

i agree with the hi-steer idea if your runing leaves but fit everything first beforehand cauz you may get away using a regular-height steering setup depending on where you locate the axle on the spring (SUA/SOA) - but you may also have to go with a different drag-link setup (maybe a "Y" setup).

well i was planning on going SOA with some YJ leaves or something similar as i have seen other people doing.

21robbie21 said:
well i was planning on going SOA with some YJ leaves or something similar as i have seen other people doing.
Isnt Yomie running YJ leaves? I think he said it felt a little too soft for the Explorer's weight.. but I think they would work for now. You can always just swap em out later if you feel they are not stiff enough.

Yj springs atleast stock ones are way to soft. I added a ranger leaf to my Yj pack. Works great I can max my 13" shocks out with flex from them. I didnt do full Histeer I just did cross over. The only difference is you have to buy another histeer arm for the driverside. These prices are just off the top of my head so I could be a bit off. I also tried to do it all right. I get no bumpsteer and I can go 75 mph down the highway and it tracks great

Flat top knuckles $60*
Machine pass knuckle $55*
4 tierod ends= $150
4 weld in bungs and jam nuts =$50
Reamer to re taper pitman arm = $120 (if you go inverted T with chevy TREs you need to ream the pitman arm and one of teh chevy TREs)
One Histeer arm $95*
1.5" 1/4" wall chomemoly tubing = $120

The three with the * are the ones I wouldnt have had to get if I went coil springs instead. However the extra time I had to spend chassing down teh knuckles and getting in machined I would have rather spent a little extra and gone coils and not spent teh time running around. Some of teh stuff can be found cheaper then I bought it for I mistly just went with who I could get it from the fastest. Time = Money so I would pay more so I could have it now as opposed to waiting a week or 2 for it.

Leafs work great dont get me wrong and I like how my truck handles but next go around the front will be getting linked.

RockRanger said:
Leafs work great dont get me wrong and I like how my truck handles but next go around the front will be getting linked.
Plus most of what you have out there in the west are rocks ;) for flexing.. the east is mostly disgusting mud, for, well nothing really.. i'm starting to really hate mud.

IZwack said:
Plus most of what you have out there in the west are rocks ;) for flexing.. the east is mostly disgusting mud, for, well nothing really.. i'm starting to really hate mud.

I am alergic to mud. I hate that crap. I will do just about anything I can to avoid it if i can.

man they're gettin pretty good...i just finished my light bar and those beads are lookin pretty good for a sixteen year old's welds....i mean really good

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you've got a compressor, I'd be willing to loan out my sandblaster if you want to clean that housing the easy way. You get that one from Craig?

Back