• Register Today It's free!

2nd Gen 5.0 with 5R55E?

compworks

Reaction score
City, State
Aggieland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Tahoe (yecch)
Howdy, all! Haven't posted on here in a while, but I'm back.

Now for a little late-night absurdity: what do y'all think about replacing the 4R70W auto trans in the 5.0 Explorer with the 5R55E from the 4.0? I'm considering it as a project for my next vehicle, and since I accumulate a lot of city miles, I figure the extra cog might help with fuel mileage.
I've done a little research that suggests that the 5R55E would bolt up to the 5.0; I know computer issues are another story, though. I haven't seen any evidence that such a swap has been attempted, much less successfully completed.

Any advice is welcome, as well as comments that I'm off my rocker. But what's new about that? :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

where did you find that it would bolt up to a 5L? i have never seen that, unless you get a adapter plate made. that and i am not even sure the converter would match up to the flex plate. also the starter is on the opposite side

where did you find that it would bolt up to a 5L? i have never seen that, unless you get a adapter plate made. that and i am not even sure the converter would match up to the flex plate. also the starter is on the opposite side

I didn't find anything that specifically said that it was possible; you're probably right about needing an adapter plate. And since I'm not a total expert on car mechanicals (haven't ever messed with a trans or engine swap), why does it matter what side of the car the starter is on? Just curious.

the small issue would be having to move the electrical around to the other side. the big problem is will it clear the exhaust manifold, and pipe.

Howdy, all! Haven't posted on here in a while, but I'm back.

Now for a little late-night absurdity: what do y'all think about replacing the 4R70W auto trans in the 5.0 Explorer with the 5R55E from the 4.0? I'm considering it as a project for my next vehicle, and since I accumulate a lot of city miles, I figure the extra cog might help with fuel mileage.
I've done a little research that suggests that the 5R55E would bolt up to the 5.0; I know computer issues are another story, though. I haven't seen any evidence that such a swap has been attempted, much less successfully completed.

Any advice is welcome, as well as comments that I'm off my rocker. But what's new about that? :D

The 5R55E has a 5th gear ratio of .075.

The 4R70W has a 4th gear ratio of .070.

The real benefit to fuel milage would be a swap of a 4R70W in place of a 5R55E.

I would leave in the 4R70W, its a better tranny anyways and none of the headache of a swap.

Back