302 Conversion, Part 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

302 Conversion, Part 3

Well it's time I let people know what happening with my conversion......( or not happening )

There were many delays and detours in this project due to layoffs, mergers and downsizing. For now I have a job so it's on with the project.

Picking up from where I leftoff....

Just recieved my new injectors... Started to install them but noticed that both set's of Fuel Rails that I have ( Mustang ) the fuel lines exit on the passenger side. I need them to exit on the drivers side. I wasn't comfortable with routing fuel lines under the motor to the other side of the truck. So I ordered a new Fuel Rail for a 96 V8 Explorer.

The steering box was removed so I could install the remote oil filter. I re-installed the steering box last night and now I have steering again.

Tried to order the Kaufman Short Accesorie Kit today and was told to call back in 2 weeks. They were looking at a new manufactor for some of the kit parts like the front front housing cover. They are setting it up so you can use an aftermarket waterpump now and not have to go back to them if your waterpump dies.

Ready to get this finished!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting!

Gofast,

Tnx for the info, let us know about the fuel rails and how they work out and do they interfer with anything.

Why was it necessary to remove the steering box to install the remote oil filter ?
I used the L&L Kit on my Ranger setup and the adapter slid in and bolted up without a problem, so I was just wondering.

Interesting about the Short Acc Kit, I did not know that you needed a special water pump for it. Does this apply to the standard short acc package that comes in the Mountaineers w/V-8s ? Would be interesting to find out. I think I will call L&L Products and ask about it.

Tnx again for the info,

I just needed the room to mount the L&L remote oil adapter. I had trouble getting the factory oil mount out of the block, so I removed the steerring box so I could get to it. The L & L installed very easy once the factory one was removed. Next Time...I'll remove the factory and install the L & L before I put the motor in the truck.

Kaufmans kit is supposedly shorter than the factory kit by 1/2" or so. They are retooling the front cover so you can get a waterpump replacement from your local parts store. there set-up will use a reverse flow water pump. Not sure if this is the normal set-up for a mustang or not.

Now it's back to the waiting game for parts to arrive.

Tnx for the fast reply.

I will need to contact them to see if a Flow Cool waterpump will work.

Progress...

Well it was a good weekend for the conversion project. Temps cooled down to upper 90's so working in the garage was "OK".

I'm happy to announce that my monster truck now has a chrome dipstick tube! I can almost feel the power of this mod. Seriously, it's down to little things like this.

Dipstick tube installed.
New Injectors Installed.
New Fuel Rail installed.
Water Temp Sensor installed.
Air Charge Sensor installed.
The other sensor installed. ( Yep, forgot what it was called. )
Engine harness installed.
Spark Plugs installed.
Cap & Rotor installed.
Dist. Installed.
Plug wires installed.

Next on the list.

Re-install the A/C box on the firewall.
Install fuel pump cover.
Tighten steering shaft.
Install computer.
Install Main Harness.

Yes! I want my truck back!

wow! your almost done! Weren't you the guy who had 35's on your truck. Man, with that lift and that engine, mud is going to be fun! Good luck with the last phases!

have any pics for us man?

A little bit more.....

OK, A little farther along now.

Fuel system done!

96 V8 explorer fuel rails $150
96 V8 fuel line Main $75.
96 V8 fule line return $75.

The good news is this bolts up directly to my factory lines that run to the gas tank. I recomend goinf to a salvage and saving the money.

I now have to figure out the wiring harness. Yes, I'm reading the manuals but some of it is not as clear as I need it.

I need to figure out how the Engine Harness ties into the Main Harness of the Explorer. There are 2 big round connectors that should connect into the Main Harness on the truck. I guess I need to get "Round Connectors" from the donor vehicle and splice those into the Main Harness?

Getting closer.

Kaufman Porducts is still not quite ready to let me order the front accesorie kit. I'll try Thursday.

Thanks Rob

LOL Rob...slowly wackin away at it. My only word of advise for you now is.....Good luck. On my truck, I had lots of problems with the computer wiring. I bought the swap manual from Harwood, but I'd say less than half the wires matched according to his manual. I also had the EVTM's for both vehicles...and still got no where. So that was put off, and I finished up other lil crap on mine. Now, since school started, the project has been taken on by a local speed shop to do all the wiring, fuel lines and a dyno tune. So, unless yer incredible(or someone ya know) with electricals....Good luck and have fun. It's tough. Part of me wishes I used a holley projection system to eliminate alot of the crossing over of electronics. I agree...Got any pics? I do, but no scanner access yet. So they'll be up someday

Pete

No Pictures yet...

Whack, Whack, Whack........

Yep, still plugging away slowly. Your right this wiring is a mess. If I figure it out I'll post some details.

Re: A little bit more.....

Hey Gofast,

Is there a major Difference in these parts. The Reason I am asking is I have a 2dr and 4dr lines are longer I will have to use v-6 lines. It looks Like I can connect the Explorer Fuel Rails to the Stock lines on mine.

96 V8 fuel line Main $75.
96 V8 fuel line return $75.

Hmmm......

Kris,
The Fuel lines from the Gas tank along the frame rails should not make a differance. The 2 door is shorter , but the fuel lines will still terminate in tha same general location.

The fuel rails for the 96 V8 will route from the injectors and have the connections at the back of the block and exit on the Drivers side of the block.

The fuel Line Extensions will run from the Fuel Rails and hook directly to the factory fuel lines.

I'll try to take some pictures and e-mail them to you this week. ( or later tonight after Soccer practice )

Back