302+M5OD+4406=21MPG and :)! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

302+M5OD+4406=21MPG and :)!

DieselHilux

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ford contour
Just got done swapping a 4406 and a M5OD into my 97 mountaineer and the results are incredible!! I got 21 MPG on my last fillip and the steering has a much lighter feel to it along with much faster acceleration!

20120630_144230.jpg

20120630_144239.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What were you getting before?16?You wonder how much the trans changed it and how much was 4406,most threads I've read say they got around 21 from just the 4406,
BUT THAT`S KILLER ANYWAY!THAT ROCKS DUDE!PS hows they old lady with a stick?
They don`t tend to take constructive critism...well,constructively.A 5.0 too right? WOW!

I was getting about 15 to 16 miles per gallon, I actually did the manual swap first, aside from quicker exceleration the mileage did not change, that piece of **** all wheel drive transfer case was sucking the life out of the engine, not to mention its lack of a real low range!! This thing will now rip stumps out of the ground in low 4!

It all basically bolted right up, the only thing I had to modify was the gas tank bracket and cut a hole in the floor for the 4 wheel drive shifter.

But you can really feel the difference, I cannot believe how much power that all wheel drive case robs from the engine

The shifter boot for the 4 wheel drive shifter is off of an f 150, and you cant see it in the picture but I also installed the inner boot from the same f 150.

WOW. That is what mine gets at it's best. I should do the same. Did you use an explorer clutch pedal and master assembly then? The 4406 swap was basically the same as a standard 4406 swap I take it?

I used an f 150 clutch assembly, and an f 150 flywheel. The entire drive train is basically an f 150 drive train now. I used a ford ranger clutch pedal assembly, it bolted right in as if it was meant to be there! The clutch master fits perfectly where the shift cable for the auto goes through the firewall!!

The hole for the 4 wheel drive shifter was just measure 3 times cut once and even then I had to cut 3 more times lol!

I forgot to mention I am getting 21 miles per gallon with, 31X10.50X15 BFG KO's and 3.73's

Holy crap! You would be getting 24 on stock wheels and tires! What did you do about the ECU and wiring? Just jumper it to make the ECU think the transmission is in neutral?

No I had the stock ecu reprogrammed by henson performance out of alabama. I also had him to delete the emissions functions.

I suppose it would be bad to also say I hollowed out all 4 of my cats then………:p::p:

Well, I like it. After pricing everything out, a person should be able to do this for under $1500 with a new clutch, flywheel, master, slave and bearings. You are saving over $500 bucks a year in gas, have 4 low and got rid of the slushbox. Wins all around. I'm definitely doing this with mine as soon as I can dig up parts and find the time.

edit: maybe not, that OD sucks for stock tire sizes.

AWESOME!!!! When can we expect a write-up?? THIS is on my long term to-do list! 4406 is first, then strongly considering 4.56's a manual would nix the 4.56 gear swap though...I cannot stand an auto except for old school 3spd autos with driveshaft twisting shift kits.

Great setup, been running the same setup for quite some time, Henson programing, torque monster headers, does great!!!

I read thru this fast not sure he mentioned, but the tranny to use is from 97and up F150 that had 4.2 V6 4x4 setup, same bell housing pattern.

Mine doesnt get that mileage cause 4.88s and 35s LOL :)

Would love to do a 4dr, on 31s. Would be sweet!!

I will get a video up soon and i never said the 4r70w was a bad trans, i just do not like autos period! Just personal Pref i guess. and no i do not give a **** if anyone else can drive my truck, in fact i like that my wife can not drive it!!!

Totally agree. Both of my cars and a majority of my friends have manuals. A clutch job on a rear/4x4 is crazy easy. Sadly on the Saab it's a 10-12 hour job if you know what you're doing. And you're not taking into account a dual mass flywheel that can cost $1000-1200. I say cost is a draw but the ease of doing it is much easier than rebuilding an autotragic.

A clutch kit for an F-150 only costs around 150-200.

The last time i got 21 mpg was with 30" BFG T/A KO's and the stock AWD.

After going back to stock tire size Michelin LTX's and converting to manual 4406, the best I can get is 17 mpg :( and that is driving it like a baby.

I read thru this fast not sure he mentioned, but the tranny to use is from 97and up F150 that had 4.2 V6 4x4 setup, same bell housing pattern.

Would love to do a 4dr, on 31s. Would be sweet!!
Im running 31's now, and will not go larger then 33's. good info to know on the possible donor truck parts. maybe I can get lucky enough to snag the 4406 and manual all at once!

thanks all for the inspiration!!:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What year Ranger did the pedal set come from? Do the pedals from the earlier (1-2 gens) work? This is exactly what I am looking at doing to my new to me 98 Mounty. THANK YOU for posting this up. Time to start looking at gathering parts and researching on here.....

Back