33s vs 35s with 5.5 inch superlift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

33s vs 35s with 5.5 inch superlift

CmdrPopNFresh

Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake City, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport
well i decided to ditch the axles i got from a buddy. they were free anyway. sas just doesnt seem like something i really really would need...it would be sweet but i dont think i need it. so now im stuck. ive got a 5.5 superlift on the way but i dont know weather i should get 33s or 35s. ive been searching around and looking at everyones pictures. how much trimming am i looking at with 35s? will 33s look too small? im thinking 33 12.5 15 or 35 12.5 15. feel free to tell me whats what. any pictures or info you might have would be very appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well i decided to ditch the axles i got from a buddy. they were free anyway. sas just doesnt seem like something i really really would need...it would be sweet but i dont think i need it. so now im stuck. ive got a 5.5 superlift on the way but i dont know weather i should get 33s or 35s. ive been searching around and looking at everyones pictures. how much trimming am i looking at with 35s? will 33s look too small? im thinking 33 12.5 15 or 35 12.5 15. feel free to tell me whats what. any pictures or info you might have would be very appreciated.

I had 33x12.5 on 15x8 rims with 6" of lift and thought it looked good. I didnt jump up till 35s till I added the 3" body lift.

ALSO:
I didn't rub at all, I had 4" Rough Country lift with F150 Coil Seats (1-5/8") and 2" Shackles. All depends on the car. I say you're best bet is to run 33s

I rubbed with the 33s on the 5.5 superlift.

If you go 35s it will take a good ammount of trimming to clear them.

o dangit. you replied right as i was typing.....i looked at your x earlier today and i like the look of 35s but im kind of scared to cut into my fenders.....got a link to a how to?

That link isn't my truck and I don't have a "how to" per say, but here is how much I cut mine. I just drew a line with a pencil and got the sawz-all out and this is how it turned out.

There are two bolts that hold the bottom of the fender. Since I only need one, there was plenty of room to cut. Then I just tried to blend it up to the existing contour of the fender.

FenderTrim4.gif

The part I was talking about hammering in the firewall is the pinch weld. It can be folded back with a BFH.

i got the 5.5 superlift on my truck and have run 33x12.50 bfg mud on a 15x10rim for two years and never had a problem,they look small hint why i have a set of 35s waiting to go on in the summer no point right now,it didnt look like i had to trim the front but i may be wrong i have put them on the rims yet so i dont know

Bkennedy (who's truck is linked above) didn't trim as much as I did. I trimmed that much because I have 36" SXs on a solid axle that articulates way more than the stock suspension.

so no matter what ill have to trim to fit my 35 on?

dont go 35's
youll go through wheel bearings too quick
unless you go sas

what ive never heard that before

yeah me either.....that doesnt seem to make sense. theres no more weight on the bearing....its not changing the angle of anthing....and really...its slowing the bearing down compared to a smaller tire.

It's not the tire size, it's the backspacing of the wheels that mess with bearings. I daily drove and wheeled (hard) my old '92 on 35s for 3-4 years and never had wheel bearing problems. Some do and some don't depending on wheel choice.

oo i see

You can find 35's within ten-twenty bucks of 33's; so get the 35's. You shouldn't have any rub/clearance problems. HOWEVER, set aside ten bucks per paycheck until you have "oh-sh---" few hundred dollars as the mechanical stresses, applied torsions, and such will be harder on stock parts as they weren't designed to move a tire that size. Don't misunderstand me, go with it! - just plan for "what if's". Worse thing if I'm wrong is that you'd have hundreds of dollars at your fingertips.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back