33s vs 35s with 5.5 inch superlift | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

33s vs 35s with 5.5 inch superlift

I vote 35's, not only will the 33's look too small, people with 33's usually want 35's later on anyway so you might as well go with them now. What gears are you planning on running?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I vote 35's, not only will the 33's look too small, people with 33's usually want 35's later on anyway so you might as well go with them now. What gears are you planning on running?

i was looking at some 4.11s earlier but maybe 4.56s? i couldnt find anything for a dana 35 front though...i didnt look too hard since i was at work but anyone know of a site that i could find a variety of gears for the front?

im going with 4.56 and aussie lockers that's really the smallest I hear you want to go with 35s as far as where the cheapest place is I don't know but I hear yukon gears are good and the aussie lockers

Yea I have heard the same. I would not under any circumstances run 4.10s(they offer 4.11s for the 8.8 but 4.10s for the D35 and 8.8) with 35s. Like what jd4242 said 4.56 is the least you want to run with 35s but I'd run 4.88s as the extra low end will be very welcome on the trail and streets. I run 5.13s and 35s and I love them but wouldnt recommend them for someone who frequents the highway.

I got my second set of gears for my 8.8 from completeoffroad.com and it was $199 for a Yukon brand R&P and Yukon brand master install kit.
But alot of people recommend Randys ring and pinion http://www.ringpinion.com/ for their excellent customer service.

EDIT: Looks like complete off-road went up on their prices but even though it doesnt say what brand gear, you will be getting the Yukon brand. http://completeoffroad.com/i-123352-ford-8-8-gear-install-kit-package-deal.html

stupid question but does anyone have pics of the 5.5 lift with 31s? i won't be able to get 33's or 35's for a while but i'm tired of being lift-less

I do I had to put a set of 31 on the front so I could get my motor out (lift wouldn't go hi enough)and 33 on the rear,I just haven't taken them back off yet ill post a pic later im at work now o and 31 look WAY to so do the 33 it will make you want 35

2rnkmyw.jpg

33x12.50-15x10
29blzwh.jpg

bald 32x11.50-15x8
xpnexv.jpg

jd4242
ah yes that is exactly perfect. thats what i needed to see! thank you! anyone out there with 35s on a 5.5 inch lift care to take a picture of your wheel area up close so i have some comparison?

I have 35 also but they aren't on rims so sorry can't help

I'm biased, but if 33/35 is such a hard decision why not go with 34's? Less wear on parts, more power to the road, and better braking compared to 35's, with more ground clearance and filling the wheel wells better then 33's. Plus, if you get a 34x10.5 you can put it on your stock wheels to save you some $ for lockers and gears.

I'm biased, but if 33/35 is such a hard decision why not go with 34's? Less wear on parts, more power to the road, and better braking compared to 35's, with more ground clearance and filling the wheel wells better then 33's. Plus, if you get a 34x10.5 you can put it on your stock wheels to save you some $ for lockers and gears.

i had no idea anyone even made a 34 inch tire. and the price difference from 33 to 35 is less than 20 bucks a tire so....its not much of a decission of price as it is looks.

Here's my old '94 Sport with a 5.5" lift on 33 x 12.5's. Only rubbing I had was at full lock the front tire would rub the swaybar, and if one side of the rear was fully compressed it would lightly rub the inner fenderwell.

image004.jpg

I think super swamper's LTB comes in a 34x10.50 but I think it'll look too skinny.

I would never go less than 12.50 with a 5.5 lift I had my 32x11.50 and I was doing dounts in grass and rolled my truck over onto the side

I think super swamper's LTB comes in a 34x10.50 but I think it'll look too skinny.
Meh, they measure about the same as a big 33, pretty much the same size as my 33x10.50 BFGs. And yes do 4.88s if you want 35s.
I don't think they're that narrow, I like the 10.50 width, less rubbing, less rolling resistance, gets down and digs very well, and you can use 7" wheels.
hpim0475xs9.jpg

stupid question but does anyone have pics of the 5.5 lift with 31s? i won't be able to get 33's or 35's for a while but i'm tired of being lift-less
wait what did the ra go to if you are liftless or are you changing lift?

Meh, they measure about the same as a big 33, pretty much the same size as my 33x10.50 BFGs. And yes do 4.88s if you want 35s.
I don't think they're that narrow, I like the 10.50 width, less rubbing, less rolling resistance, gets down and digs very well, and you can use 7" wheels.
hpim0475xs9.jpg
not talking sh** but why do you front tires look like that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back