44th Tierra Del Sol Desert Safari (TDS) Who's in? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

44th Tierra Del Sol Desert Safari (TDS) Who's in?

I wont be able to make it. I have nonsense family obligations on Sunday that will just be an excuse for me to drink too much :thumbsup: . So, to prevent my weekend from being a total bust, on Saturday I will be attempting for the second time to climb Mt. San Jacinto from Palm Springs to the top, 10,500 feet. If the weather is good I'll try and take a pic of you guys from the top, or maybe Jefe's glider will come up that way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So for whatever reason, I seem to never find you guys out there.... Someone needs to PM me thier cell phone (one that they will answer out there) so I can call when I get there.

... I did actually meet Rick last year, but didnt get to wheel with him. and 3 years ago I met a few individuals just by chance, who recognized my truck.

Anyway, I cant wait this will be fun!! I just finished my custom high steer conversion, rebuilt all my shocks, a front locker install and a custom crossmember for the rear which are housing my new fox shocks back there now. It will be a whole new animal this year.

Jefe said:
So are we waiting for the E-locker, or going ARB John?

Waiting until I have a choice -E-locker, ECTED, OX, or ARB

I finally finished the dual battery install, the final winch hook-up, and the KC lights. Is it time to go back to work yet?

Well, I know you guys ar back...So? How was it? :p

jobunn said:
I wont be able to make it. I have nonsense family obligations on Sunday that will just be an excuse for me to drink too much :thumbsup: . So, to prevent my weekend from being a total bust, on Saturday I will be attempting for the second time to climb Mt. San Jacinto from Palm Springs to the top, 10,500 feet. If the weather is good I'll try and take a pic of you guys from the top, or maybe Jefe's glider will come up that way.

If you take the tramway it's much faster :p
Whereabouts in Palm Springs do you start the hike from? I've done a little hiking in Indian Canyons on some easy to moderate trails but I need to get out more so I can do some real hiking. There's a trail in P.S. called the Taquitz Canyon trail that has a waterfall I've always wanted to check out.

Steve,
I came back this morning and it was the usual mayhem out there. We hit all the spots like the waterfall area where we just missed some guy in a truck who endoed and had a head injury serious enough to require the medivac chopper to fly in.
Then we did the Sat night ditch thing where everyone was gathering and watched all the bufoonery. Jefe has a little story to tell there ;)

All right! Where is the "bufoonery story"? :D Jefe?

let me guess someone ran into his explorer? I got to spend the weekend working :fire: Get to work all this week as well. It will be one day off in 3 weeks :rolleyes: Need to get some time off so I can work on the ranger.

Great trip as usual! I can't wait to see some of the pics. I didn't get any this trip. Saturday night was cool so see all the drunk crazy *******s try to climb stuff you're really not supposed to climb. Toyota stands, K5 with 49s, pro rock crawling rigs. :thumbsup:

Tom D., that last run was AWESOME!!

I'm home, safe and sound.

Took about 10hrs to get here - yes, I decided I didn't have a trailer.

The zuk hit the car wash as I climbed the Altamont grade. Time to complain to management, the spin cycle didn't get it very dry.

Collin, the more I think about that last run, the more amazed I am on how effortlessly the zuk did it. Can't wait for the pictures!

Uh . . . . SOMEONE took pictures, didn't they?

tdavis said:
Collin, the more I think about that last run, the more amazed I am on how effortlessly the zuk did it. Can't wait for the pictures!
There should be a new avatar out of thos pics.

FROADER said:
I know Nathan and Brian took some pics
I took about 30 pictures of Tom D. in the ditch on the last run. Tom, if you PM me I will send you all of them.
Some pictures;
Fakawee_TDS.jpg

Colin_TDS.jpg

Colin_1_TDS.jpg

John_1_TDS.jpg

John_TDS.jpg

Winter_TDS.jpg

Dummy_TDS.jpg

BKennedy said:
I took about 30 pictures of Tom D. in the ditch on the last run. Tom, if you PM me I will send you all of them.
Some pictures;

Dummy_TDS.jpg

Okay who had to be flown out? :eek:

Blee1099 said:
Okay who had to be flown out? :eek:
That was the part that DB_1 was talking about. some guy in a toyota endoed off a decent sized drop, or so the story went. We got there after he was already being attended to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

RockRanger said:
let me guess someone ran into his explorer?
Nope. Seeing as how I didn't bring my explorer, that would have been difficult. ;)

It wasn't a good weekend for flying as there was always a good breeze, so I didn't get any video. I thought it'd calm down at night so I brought the Shark on the night run. We parked to watch the show and got ready to fly. Within 30 seconds of flying there was a spotlight on it, shortly followed by a couple more. Then a few bottle rockets. I timed a fake death spiral to the bottle rockets and got a lot of attention. On the next pass over I did a loop, but the wind caught me and it hung inverted for a second. I think at that time my battery pack came loose and fell out the top. On the next breeze it went into a real death spiral with the battery out of position and I couldn't pull out of it. Down it went into the crowd. I think we were all fearing a mob coming apon it and tearing to shreds. John and I made our way towards it, and saw someone holding it above the crowd, as if he had a trophy. Luckily they were nice enough to hand it over after admiring it.

Back