44th Tierra Del Sol Desert Safari (TDS) Who's in? | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

44th Tierra Del Sol Desert Safari (TDS) Who's in?

FROADER said:
I know Nathan and Brian took some pics

Yeah I got a couple of pics will put them in the gallery tonite.
Tom if you want the full res pics pm me with your email
Nate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jefe said:
:eek: I thought the flex looked cool from my angle, but that is unreal. :cool: :thumbsup:

Yes, it is. I guess it's time to start to think about the front.. :confused:

Collin had pointed out where the tire sidewall was contacting the bottom of the ditch, and I was "yea, right, ok, uhm, interesting..."

I didn't think there was photographic proof..

PM's sent to Brian and Nathan..

Wow, great trip. Nice to see old friends and wheel :p even though your all a bunch of freeloaders :D

When I left in the morning the N. marina drive looked like the 5 to get on the 86. How was traffic for you guy's that left later?

Nathan,
I passed you guys on S22 when I went home Sun. morning and it looks like you overshot the bathrooms a little bit :p Sorry about that, I should've been more specific about where they were. They were directly across from our camp on the opposite side of the highway but the entrance is maybe 50 yards down on the right.

Big Thanks to Tom Davis for letting me ride along and get pictures of the group offroading for my photoessay.

I had a good time out there.

TDS had it's own vendor booth area that was like a mini offroad expo: food vendors, vehicles and parts on display, t-shirts for sale and a mobile rock climbing wall for kids.

Saturday night in "the ditches" was wild. Different rigs were trying to climb up a steep bank some made it up in one try, others after a couple tries, others tried about eight times and had to move on unsuccessful. This spot was a mix of sand at the base due to tires churning it up and it being pulled off of the bank. Since so much sand collected at the base of the obstacle there were some descent ruts or pockets that tires would get stuck in as people tried to climb the bank.

One Toyota truck went for a new line that hadn't been climbed yet so it was steep and this was about 20 or so feet to the left of the bank talked about in the above paragraph. Due to the banks steepness the Toyota got angled some where between 10:30 or 11:00 and slowly tilted backwards to 12:00 and stopped. The Toyota truck standing vertical in the ditch was a sight. It was either resting on its rear shackles, rear bumper, or a combination of both. A tow strap was thrown around the front axle and it was slowly pulled by manpower back onto the bank. After the driver tried turning it over a few times it started up. The Toyota preceded to the bank in the above paragraph and climbed it first or second try no problem.

Saturday night at camp, one could almost pan around 360 degrees and see fireworks in some location, that was cool. And every now and then a single firework of 4th of July quality would go up and burst and boom.

It was really eye opening to see all the different lines and trails that were covered on Saturday by the group... many of them I wouldn't have saw as a trail.

I developed my film today in class and the pictures turned out good, sorry I can't share them with everyone. The spot in post #95 of pictures 3, 4, and 6 turned out awesome with many of your guys trucks right front tire floating in the air. The pictures that I took at the ditches seem to be a bit blurry due to using 100 ISO film at night with slow shutter speeds of 2 seconds.
Thanks again, Chris.

here are some pics I got

Attachments

• excursion on 44s.JPG
    excursion on 44s.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 287
  • flat tire.JPG
    flat tire.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 288
  • almost upright.JPG
    almost upright.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 351
  • get upright.JPG
    get upright.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 300

A couple more

Attachments

• there we go.JPG
    there we go.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 276
  • thats a drop.JPG
    thats a drop.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 283
  • Red Bull truck.JPG
    Red Bull truck.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 296
  • high centered.JPG
    high centered.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 284

Here is my truck fully flexed..... I actually twisted so hard right here that my front leaf springs twisted apart. Also,my electric fan came into contact with my ac compressor and broke a fan blade off. I stayed until the vibration finally caused the power connector to vibrate off the circuit board and left me without a fan at all..... That is when I had to leave :( oh yeah and my fenders got a little more bent this year, I guess I know how much they need trimmed now :)

Attachments

• rear flex.JPG
    rear flex.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 287
  • look at that flex.JPG
    look at that flex.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 268
  • not good on leaf spring....JPG
    not good on leaf spring....JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 278
  • flexed out.JPG
    flexed out.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 266

couple more. The first three are of the same flex shot. The last one is where my front driveshaft slipped apart. I am going to have to lengthen the slipyoke some... Anyway the is actually a bad picture, if you look at the people in the backround that are standing on that hill, you can see how vertical the truck is actually sitting. The camera was cauked on an angle to get the truck in the pic. That ledge is about 6 feet tall and pretty much vertical. Anyway I was only there from about 10:30 am till 7:00 p.m. on saterday because I had to leave when my fan broke.... Cant wait till next year. let me know what you guys think of the pics...

Attachments

• thats drooped.JPG
    thats drooped.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 260
  • thats stuffed.JPG
    thats stuffed.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 270
  • wow.JPG
    wow.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 280
  • Vertical ledge.JPG
    Vertical ledge.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 273

yeah definately.... Its cool, I didnt finally get ahold of you till we had just left anyway. I was going to stay untill sunday untill the fan broke..... anyway I look forward to the next trip.

BMXplorer said:
Big Thanks to Tom Davis for letting me ride along and get pictures of the group offroading for my photoessay.

I had a good time out there.

Thanks again, Chris.
Glad you could make it out there. Let us know how you do on your assignment. If you ever get a chance to scan those pics too, I'd like to see what you got. :thumbsup:

attachment.php

Doesnt look like safety is a big issue here??
IMO there are a couple of people standing where they should not be :)

Chief, I think you need to get some new front leaf springs that are designed to flex, not just hold up your rig :D ;). That does not look too safe for off roadin'. If you put in some bump stops the right length to limit up travel, you would not bend your fenders out.

I posted this on the TDS website;

I just wanted to make a few comments about TDS Safari 2006. I have been attending your events for several years, just as a spectator. I chose not to sign up because I do not go on any of your runs (too many rigs, have a group of friends that I wheel with, etc.) but I love to watch all the people. I already contribute to several groups who lobby for our rights as off roaders for land use. I also activly write emails and letters to political types who can help our cause. And, I have been going to the Truckhaven area since I was a baby. What I am getting to is this;

On Saturday in the early afternoon, we (my group of six rigs, a few of which signed up for the Safari) were out in the hills. We were going up a steep, unmarked canyon trail towards the fire hydrant. We came head to head with one of your "Officials" who was less than ten feet from the top and heading downhill. He shouted out of his Jeep that he was a TDS official and we had to back up for him. He refused to follow any trail etiquite and back up the ten feet. He stayed blocking the trail and refused to budge, forcing all of us to back down the canyon to find a place to pull over. I remind you that the trial was unmarked because the other Officials had already pulled up the markers, so we had no idea it was a TDS trail. Otherwise we would not have gone up it to avoid conflict with your group. He then drove up to us and called us "freeloaders" several times, as if he bought and paid for the Truckhaven hills. I tried to explain to him the trail was unmarked, but only got belligerence in return. He was a complete jerk, and on some sort of power trip, acting like King for a Day. He was a horrible representation of your proud club. The only reason he did not get his lights punched out, was that some of my group, including me, are law enforcement officers and did not want to push it further than he already had. I have had nothing but good contact with all other members of your group throughout the years, and even thought of joining (even through I am not the club type). Now, forget it, it will never happen. Most of the people in my off roading circle think the same way now (I am a member of a web site with 17,000 members, mostly off roaders "x...explorer4x4.com").

Also, these Safari's are attracting a element of serious drinkers and show offs. We went over to the ditches north of Palm wash on Saturday night and it was the usual zoo. All sorts of giant "Azusa" type monster rigs climbing out of the canyons, simply tearing up the walls. On Sunday morning we returned to that area and it was covered with empty beer cans and rubbish. It was totally trashed! I am aware that a clean up is done on Sunday by your group. I am not sure if these Safari's are helping our cause in keeping the land open to use for off road vehicles. If someone from any so called "evironmental" group videotaped Saturday nights activities, and the aftermath, it would look real bad for off roaders. Also, usually this area is not saturated with vehicles and RV's. This oversaturation causes people to park their RV's in places not usually used, creating more damage to the local terrain, flora and fauna. I also understand your group does not have any control over these types of activities, but something needs to be done if we want to keep this land open.

Please do not take this as a complaint about TDS. I think your group is one of the best off road groups in the nation. I just want to make your group aware of a few concerns. Maybe you could tell your "Official" people to lighten up just a little.

Thank You;
Brian Kennedy
San Diego, California

a few bad apples

BKennedy said:
Chief, I think you need to get some new front leaf springs that are designed to flex, not just hold up your rig :D ;). That does not look too safe for off roadin'. If you put in some bump stops the right length to limit up travel, you would not bend your fenders out.

well to begin with, I didnt pick the springs. I wish I would have. Anyway, doesent look like I am having a problem flexing to me.... You must know something I dont. This is the first time they have ever done that I just stretched it a little to hard on that ravine. Once in a while I have to bang my leaves straight again, I am willing to bet others do as well. these are national springs and were 420.00 bucks so I cant justify changing them, at least for now. Thanks for the flame anyway though.....

As for my fenders, I am going to trim them out. I just didnt get a chance to before I left for TDS. I dont want to limit my any of my wheel travel, nor do I want to put a hokey looking bumpstop that would have to be 8" or 10" long to actually work.

Chief34 said:
I dont want to limit my any of my wheel travel, nor do I want to put a hokey looking bumpstop that would have to be 8" or 10" long to actually work.
Your shocks will thank you if you do. Its obvious from the one pic that your shocks are what is stoping your up-travel, and that is bad, especially if you are jumping.

If you put some u brackets/straps around your springs they won't split like that. Being Nationals I'm surprised they didn't come with some.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back