44th Tierra Del Sol Desert Safari (TDS) Who's in? | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

44th Tierra Del Sol Desert Safari (TDS) Who's in?

did not get to many pictures this time and all the ones I took of the ditches on saturday nite are blurry :(

but here are a few of the ones I got

brian going up :thumbsup:
geology_zzyzx_002.jpg

Here is one of tom trying to use his rock sliders to move the mountian :p
geology_zzyzx_005.jpg

and a couple more of tom doing some crazy **** thanks tom that was KOOL :eek:

geology_zzyzx_017.jpg

geology_zzyzx_016.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BKennedy said:
All sorts of giant "Azusa" type monster rigs

That is pretty funny, I wasn't even there and that tells me there were f150 Highboys and Blazers on 44" swampers :D

Jefe said:
Your shocks will thank you if you do. Its obvious from the one pic that your shocks are what is stoping your up-travel, and that is bad, especially if you are jumping.

If you put some u brackets/straps around your springs they won't split like that. Being Nationals I'm surprised they didn't come with some.

Yeah jefe, they had them but I opened them up so it would droop harder. WhenI did that the damn things were rattling something fierce, so I cut them off. Now looking back I would have tried harder to straghten them out upward more to stop it. Those things are hardened though are where a bitc_ to bend.

I have had my truck off the ground maybe two or three times but it has never bottomed the shock on a jump. I did nose down pretty hard the first time too, due to an issue that was fixed already. As far as bottoming it while crawling along... I doubt that would hurt it the little half inch thick bump stop on the shock shaft would stop any little jarring a full flex. your usually bearely moving at that point anyway.

heh, heh... Thats a great pic by the way..... :D

Chief34 said:
. As far as bottoming it while crawling along... I doubt that would hurt it the little half inch thick bump stop on the shock shaft would stop any little jarring a full flex. your usually bearely moving at that point anyway.

That can still cause alot of problems. It can cause the shock mount to take up all teh upward leverage being applied on them. They could end up breaking the welds and causing the shock mounts to fall off. Also what Length shocks are those front ones. I am using 13.5" travel shocks out front and can pretty much max them out of travel. The reason I ask is cause it it looks like the driverside shock is fully extended.

Matt,
They are 12" travel shocks.... The shock mounts are so strong you could hang the truck from them and there are limiting straps to stop the shock before letting it blow apart...

DB_1 said:
Nathan,
I passed you guys on S22 when I went home Sun. morning and it looks like you overshot the bathrooms a little bit :p Sorry about that, I should've been more specific about where they were. They were directly across from our camp on the opposite side of the highway but the entrance is maybe 50 yards down on the right.

Thats cool we found a spot the rv's were surroundng the bathrooms when we went to find them and could not see them untill later when the rv's started leaving.

Colin (Froader),

I'll see what I can do as far as getting the photos scanned, or on a disk. It may take me a week or two.

Chris.

Chief34 said:
Matt,
They are 12" travel shocks.... The shock mounts are so strong you could hang the truck from them and there are limiting straps to stop the shock before letting it blow apart...

Cool. Just dont want to see you break something that could be avoided. Are you still in the same house in clairmont? I want to see your rig again now that it is done.

Stic-o said:
:eek: Tom Lifting Tires! :eek:

It's funny, but that was the only part it lifted a tire, and that was basically as high as it got.

Much better than someone's IFS rig, right?

:D

RockRanger said:
Cool. Just dont want to see you break something that could be avoided. Are you still in the same house in clairmont? I want to see your rig again now that it is done.

Thanks man, I am not in the same house but I bought a house only about a mile away. Your more than welcome to check it out anytime. Ill pm you my number. We should definately hook up some time. We could work on some truck projects together (mine OR yours) or just chill.... it would be cool to see your new ride!

Stic-o said:
That is pretty funny, I wasn't even there and that tells me there were f150 Highboys and Blazers on 44" swampers :D
Try 49" swampers. Don't get me wrong, I loved watching them tear up the place. Just don't think it what TDS had in mind when they started this event 44 years ago.

94explorer2x4 said:
brian going up :thumbsup:
geology_zzyzx_002.jpg
I remember this, felt like I was going over if I kept the line I was on. Backed up and no problems. Great picture! :thumbsup:

Chief34 said:
Thanks man, I am not in the same house but I bought a house only about a mile away. Your more than welcome to check it out anytime. Ill pm you my number. We should definately hook up some time. We could work on some truck projects together (mine OR yours) or just chill.... it would be cool to see your new ride!
I used to see your rig parked in the driveway of that house in Clairmont (taking up the entire driveway, I might add) when going to Costco. Also saw it on Mt. Soledad on day near my Daughter's school, you were right behind me in my Explorer. NICE.
When I mentioned you need some new springs, I just never saw one push that far out to the side without it getting dangerous. It looks like its about to explode.

tdavis said:
Much better than someone's IFS rig, right? :D

:nono: You know you will not be able to say that in a few weeks. :p

BKennedy said:
I used to see your rig parked in the driveway of that house in Clairmont (taking up the entire driveway, I might add) when going to Costco. Also saw it on Mt. Soledad on day near my Daughter's school, you were right behind me in my Explorer. NICE.
When I mentioned you need some new springs, I just never saw one push that far out to the side without it getting dangerous. It looks like its about to explode.

Anyone recognizes me like that, just hollar at me.... That a way I can check out your rig too and we can meet. Especially if you live that close. (dont worry i wont think your crazy)

Yeah I know about the springs.... It did suck a little bit cause I had to fix them. I never did that to it before. I think am probably going to do a 4 link with coilovers front and rear when I finally change that front axle. These springs ride great, its kind a wierd they seem real stiff and kinda have a lot of arch but they ride very well, and they flex pretty good until the very end there when they just popped apart. it wouldnt of happened if I still had a Trac bar to keep that axle from pushing that far over, but it was limiting the travel and ended up ripping a big ass hole in my frame anyway,so screw it I will just keep banging them straight. Heh, heh. :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back