Back From Truckhaven, TDS Desert Safari 39! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Back From Truckhaven, TDS Desert Safari 39!

Ray Hutchinson

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Dana Point, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
22 Bronc Badlands
Callsign
AE6H
We got back, early this morning, from Truckhaven where the Tierra Del Sol offroad club of San Diego, CA Held their 39th Annual Desert Safari. Whoo Wee, What an extravaganza! :bounce:

First let me say that we Ford Explorer enthusiasts were pretty well represented. In attendance were (in no particular order) Rick & Char, Paul Bredehoft, Colin "Fenderguy" Ignacio, his Dad, and friend Winter, Blaine "Blue Dog Bandit", Peter John DiLorio, Tom "FarkarWee" Rios, Bill "Ranger-X" Collins, Juan Felsman, Jeff"Jefe" Glancy, and of course, Deb and I went down, just for the day. It would have been great to have more, too Perhaps next year...mark your calendars.

I was extremely impressed with the high level of organization That Tierra Del Sol puts into this event. TDS Desert Safari, this year, had about 1200 registered 4x's and drivers. There were several hundred unregistered vehicles and drivers, hundreds of support vehicles (trucks, trailers, motorhomes etc.) and probably over three thousand people in attendance! It all went off very smoothly, and with only a few minor glitches. An amazing feat given the location (Barren Desert) and the thousands attending.

There was a "midway" area, with many major vendors and manufacturers, and smaller players in attendance. Notable exhibitors and products included (again in no particular order): 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers, Micky Thompson, BFG , Sun Performance (Quickair), Warn, Rancho, ProComp, ARB, Detroit,
Atlas, Superwinch, Extreme4X4 online magazine, Offroad, 4 Wheeler, 4WD and Sport Utility, Pro Gear, Best Top, Optima, and more, Some new products and companies, and smaller shops were also there. On Saturday night there was a giant raffle, with about 100 "prize packages" given away. Total Value, I'm told, was about $70,000.00!! :bounce:
Unfortunately, none of the Explorers won :(

Of interest to those who have manual transmissions, Clutch Masters formally specializing in import vehicle clutches, is branching into the domestic market. Darien, known to many of us as Paul Bredehoft's mechanic, is now working with Clutch Masters developing, we hope, a super HD Explorer/Ranger clutch.

I'll leave comments on the runs to the other guys, when they get back, as we didn't arrive in time for the Sat runs, and had to leave for other commitments today. But, not going out on the runs gave lots of time to schmooze, see old friends, check out the organization, talk to the officials, vendors, etc. Even scored a deal from Sun Performance on a new QuickAir compressor to replace my dying "brand X" for my on board air system and ARB's.:D

All in all, GREAT EVENT! Try to make it next year. We will!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm home. This trip was great.

I arrived Saturday morning and went with Rick, Blue Dog Bandit, and Dan (?) to Joshua Tree. Dan and I, being stockers, exercised our skid plates quite a few times rock crawling, and Rick went and showed us all up by choosing to go down the wash instead of the trail.

For the Saturday night run, and the Sunday run we ran around Truckhaven. During the night run we were entertained by the tin bender group, seeing a few vehicles roll.

I've earned a new nickname of 'Teeter Totter.' Having stock articulation, no lockers, and a well balanced truck, every time I stuffed opposite wheels, I'd just sit there and rock back and forth, until I backed up and gave it a little more momentum to get over.
And I seemed to be doing that all day today, attempting to keep up with all the better equiped rigs.

That's all for now. I'll post all the pics I took tommorrow

Had a great weekend! Thank's again to Winter for driving my truck out there. Another BIG THANK'S for Winter, Tom R., Colin and Rick for getting me out of a BAD situation (roll cage next mod). It's always a pleasure to see Char (thanks for your great words of wisdom on top of the hill).

Juan I hope you can get your rear locker worked out. Jeff, Blue Dog Bandit & Paul Gagnon glad to have met you guy's, hope to see you again on the trails. Ray & Deb good seeing you again, are you going to Los Coyote in April? Thank's Bill (Ranger X) for your great guide service, you found some new awesome trails to go on.

Tom R. and the FAKARWEE TRIBE (Colin & Winter) you guy's are great & looking forward to the next run!

Had a great trip at truck Haven again. I just can't seem to get enough of that place. To everyone thanks for a good time, especially Paul Bredehoft (Chez Gourmet), for the hospitalityand use of the camper. Also for the delicious meals. Until next time (probably Los Coyotes) see you guys then.

I just got back from TDS and I'd like to say thanks to TDS 4wd Club for putting on a great event. It was great to meet more Explorer owners and to see all of the cool trucks that were there. I'd also like to say thanks to Truckhaven for "smoothing out" my passenger's side rocker panel. The trip back was pretty uneventful. I left on Monday and had to change a radius arm bushing on the side of the road near Blythe. I spent the first night in Needles, California the second night in Ogden, Utah and tonight I am going to sleep in my own bed.

Originally posted by Paul Gagnon
I'd also like to say thanks to Truckhaven for "smoothing out" my passenger's side rocker panel.

Got pics? :) Sounds cool! :D

There is nothing really worth photographing.

Back