4th Gen - Extended Upper Control Arms with Uni-ball joint | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4th Gen - Extended Upper Control Arms with Uni-ball joint

Well my stock upper control arm finally let go today! The left one snapped but luckily I was only doing about 15mph. The left wheel folded under the explorer. The cv broke in half. And the brake line ripped in half. Needless to say. I called Brandon today and left a message. Hopefully he calls me back soon so I can get these ordered today. And anyone else who is using stock Uca u should really order these. I'm just lucky I wasn't going faster!

Thank God you are OK and I'm really glad for that

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey did you use a camber kit with the new arms? Or did u just use the stock bold and washer nut. Thanks

I used the stock bolt and washer nut.

I just added 8 new washers, 4 for each side for the bushings. (compare between the new bushings and OEM Bushing and you will understand why you need the new washers)

Ok thanks! So did u just put a washer on the outsides of each bushing? And any idea what size you used? I'm trying to get all the supplies together before they get here. Thanks!

Yes I added a washer on each side of each bushing. Unfortunetly I did not have any measurements, I just took the stock bolts to the nearest hardware stor and picked suitable 2.0 mm - 2.5 mm (1/12" - 1/10") thickness washers.

I got my new upper control arms today. 3/8 extended. Gonna put them on tomorrow hopefully and I will post some pics!

I got my new upper control arms today. 3/8 extended. Gonna put them on tomorrow hopefully and I will post some pics!

Congratulations :thumbsup:

Hope you like them like I did :D

Well I got them on. Waiting for my breadline for the side that was damaged. They had to order it. Everything else looks good. The only thing is I could not fit washers on the inside of the bushing. It was just to tight. Do you all think that's ok? Thanks

Well I got them on. Waiting for my breadline for the side that was damaged. They had to order it. Everything else looks good. The only thing is I could not fit washers on the inside of the bushing. It was just to tight. Do you all think that's ok? Thanks

The washers are not a must.

I just preferred to use them.

Ok so you guys would reccomend the 3/8" and will these fit on a 2007 ford explorer sport trac. And what about the back wheels

Ok so you guys would reccomend the 3/8" and will these fit on a 2007 ford explorer sport trac. And what about the back wheels

yes and yes

the rear end does not suffer as front end.

And as long as the rear axles shafts do not touch the frame, there is no need for any modification

Rear Camber

First, I'll say thank you to all of you for posting details on your suspension modifications. (I've got the QL + Truxx + BTF (3/8") combination on the front and the QL on the rear.) Here's my chance to return the favor, if this can help somebody:

I ended up with a rear tire-wear issue after installing the Loaded Quick Lift on my Sport Trac. Just added a set of custom adjustable upper arms from PMT Fabrication, to help with the negative camber. Easy install, now I need to get it in to the alignment shop.
http://pmtfabrication.com/Default.aspx

IMG_0841.png

https://plus.google.com/photos/102075725068417036585/albums/5721679520886128865

Allaa',
You're right in that these are remarkably similar to solid axle UCAs found on a lot of muscle cars. What I found was that none of those had exactly the right dimensions, so I reached out to PMT Fabrication seeking a custom solution (no part number). If you wanted to order from them, you could contact Mark Showler at PMT, as he has all the dimensions now. You'll notice in the pictures that I threw on some washers on the bolt-head side of the yoke; that is due to the OEM bolt flaring to a larger diameter near the head (last 3/16" or so); that short section wouldn't fit in the 5/8" bolt hole. Never dawned on me to check that when taking measurements. (You could back out the bolt on your truck to see what I'm talking about.) I toyed with the idea of drilling it larger, but didn't want to remove any material in that area. You may wish to discuss this issue with Mark. For this purpose, 16mm = 5/8" bolt size. Also, the powder-coat process used by PMT makes for a very tight fit the first time passing the bolt through the hole in the yoke.
I've followed (and even copied) the mods you have done, so please ask if I can help with any information.
Eric

Thanks Eric for the info.

your Ex must be a great one, wish if you post a registry with all mods an lots of photos

Still have alot of squeak from the new uca bushings. The bolts continued to loosen up on their own so I locktited them and they seem ok now. Just alot of noise. Anyone have a solution? Not real familiar with poly bushing. I did notice the sleeve inside the bushing was a little narrower than the bushing itself. I think this cause the loosening issue. But any ideas on the sqeek would be great. I'm afraid to not really tighten them down because I don't want the alignment to be knocked out easily. Thanks

Torqued mine to 75 ft-lb when installed, should check them now that you mention it. I have the squeak in the front, but it's not too bad, washers on the inside where they contact the chassis might be helping? The rears I just put in are grease-able and perfectly quiet...

You realy should put washers inside and outside. The wahers will prevent the squeeking and the bolts from getting loose.

Or you should contact Brandon@BTF-fab to fabrecate new inner sleeves longer with wahsers (OEM style)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brandon said I should take the metal sleeves out and grease them and re install. So guess I'll be tearing it all apart again. When I first put the arms on there was no room for a washer. I'll try again now that everything has settled. From what I understand the bushing should rotate around the sleeve. Instead my bushings are staying stationary in the control arm and the entire asymbly is rotating against the mounting points, which slowly loosens the bolts. Can someone send me a close pic of our mounting spots. Just so I can compare. I mean they have to be tight enough to keep it aligned. Thanks for the help.

Back