93 Explorer project "The Hulk" | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Explorer project "The Hulk"

Ok to give a starting point i want to say that i have had a 91 X that i had the Superlift 5.5" lift on back in 2001 took it to MOAB and had a blast including jumping it 5' yes FEET off the ground at the dunes. However it was unfinished and i was 19 and traded it in for another vehicle and have regreted it ever since. Then in August of 2010 i found this 93 that i purchased for $400 because it needed a clutch and was beat up a bit. So Since then all i have done was a clutch until recently. I started replacing a few things here and there including one front fender which the other needs to be replaced as well eventually. Then i finally decided it was time for the fun stuff. SO i purchased another superlift 5.5" Superrunner lift, the one with the extended radius arms. I also purchased a set of used tires and rims tires are 35 12.50 r15. Then i purchased a set of 4.56 ring and pinion with master rebuild kits for both axles. And i wanted to start logging all this on here for others to see as well as advice. So you know before i get beat up too bad on the TTB i thought about going to a straight axle and i might eventually but i personally kinda like the TTB and this is also still going to be my every day driver, I just want it to be more offroad capable as well. I plan to replace all seals and bearings in both axles MAINLY in front while its all apart, and probably painting/undercoating both axles at the same time. Any ideas on some small things that i may want to consider WHILE im doing the lift and gears to possibly save me some time or hassle down the road a bit????

Thanks for reading if you were able to read through it all just wanted to give a good background. OH YA and i will post some pics soon of the 93 as well as a couple of my first X the 91.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

So took the hulk out hunting and took a couple pics for the hell of it.....

This is God Shining down on The Hulk.
IMAG0056.jpg

Here is a stuff shot.
IMAG0055.jpg

And a Droop shot.
IMAG0054.jpg

And there ya go. Also the stock crossbars on the luggage rack didn't hold up to the tire and basket mounted while off road the bumpy roads caused it to break. Time to make the temporary mounting job more permanent, more to come!

Sweeeeeet......

love the wheels

When you going to post a few pics of the chevota?

I was thinking it sounded like a cool project... small block in a yoto?

alright here is a couple pics of the CHEVOTA ongoing project.

Before and After lift and tires but i have since come up another couple inches.
beforeandafteryota.jpg

Here are a few flex pics. I couldn't get the rear to flex with it cause the rear axle was strapped to the frame temporarily so that limited it quite a bit but still not bad.

2011-07-27_14-46-22_109.jpg

2011-07-27_14-46-44_760.jpg

2011-07-27_14-47-13_633.jpg

Then here is a couple after i bobbed the bed which again isn't finished but is coming along slowly like the rest of the project.

IMAG0003.jpg

IMAG0002.jpg

And if you want to see more you can check out the build thread i have going for it........ http://www.yotatech.com/f158/82-toyota-turning-into-82-chevota-224625/

That way i dont change subject on the Hulk or he will get mad LOL!!

Ha ha, no one can accuse you of being afraid of doing some work! That thing is rotten...

Cool project. What you doing for motivation?

Motivation? What is this thing you speak of lol? It comes and goes ill work on it for a couple weeks and it'll sit for a month or two then work again and so on and so on.

Sorry too vague, been hitting the beer... what is suppose to go under the hood?

...Now that's cool and it's great to see a new group being formed..:biggthump

OK......its been awhile since any updates so i thought since i finished something i would post a bit...... I did replace the trans mount but didn't take any pics sorry its pretty straight forward though. However i finally decided to get the roof basket back on. I took a few pics of that. And if anyone would like i can get some more another day but it was getting dark so this is all i have right now....

20130107_171743.jpg

20130107_171752.jpg

20130107_171758.jpg

20130107_174048.jpg

A little info on how i did it........ I used 1x1x3/16 angle iron and drilled holes to match the factory mounting holes. Then i Welded crossbeams on front and rear to line up with a couple of the bottom tubes of the basket. I welded the crossbeams to the tubes in 4 places and then welded the main basket tubes to the front runners in about three places........it is SOLID! And it just adds an awesome look to the ex as well as opened up the room in my cargo area.

Upcoming (Hopefully before MOAB) Is disc brakes in the rear with a rear locker and new tread. Not sure on what tires yet but im thinking of km2's any input????

Looking good!

For treads I'm running BFG MT KM2's and they've been smoother and quieter than most at's I've driven.

.... and kick some serious ass in deep snow. :thumbsup:

I think they are my next tire. I do like them....

Back