95exploderboy's Full Width SAS | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95exploderboy's Full Width SAS

Well I've been collecting ideas and parts for a long time now and its about time I started posting something. First off I'm gonna say that this might take a while because of the frequency that I go away for work, but I will make sure to keep everyone posted as I make progress. I have nearly all of the major parts bought and sitting in the shop, so now all I need is the time to put my SAS "kit" together.

What I have planned...

The Front
1979 F150 HP Dana 44
4.88 Yukon Gears
Aussie Locker
All new Timken bearings
Warn Premium Hubs
Stock Shafts for now
Wild Horses 5.5 springs
Stock radius arms with stone crusher extensions and heim joints
Chevy TREs with 1.5" Dom
Toyota Steering box
Square driveshaft

The Rear
1978 Ford 9"
4.86 Richmond Gears
Detroit locker
Disk Conversion
4 door hybrid leaf springs

The plan is to use the 79 upper coil buckets, not sure how I'm compensating for the full width yet. Gonna try to space the bottom coil mounts in enough to keep the springs straight. The arms will be located via a new transmission cross member/RA mount. The arms measure around 40 inches that puts them right under the transfer case. The rear will be SOA, shackles will be adjusted to level everything out. Still not sure of what will happen to the body lift, I'll see how I feel about it after I wheel it a few times.

Random pics...

Something is missing
DSCN0088.JPG

Sweet extended jack stands. They are good for about 30 inches and have a broad stable base
DSCN0093.JPG

What I ended up with:

The Front
1979 F150 HP Dana 44
4.88 Yukon Gears
Aussie Locker
All new Timken bearings
Drive Slugs
Alloy USA inner/outer axle shafts with Spicer 760 joints
Wild Horses 5.5 springs
Stock radius arms with stone crusher extensions and heim joints
Chevy TREs with 1.5" Dom
Full Hydro with single sided ram
Square driveshaft

The Rear
1978 Ford 9"
4.86 Richmond Gears
Detroit locker
Disk Conversion
4 door hybrid leaf springs

Ta Da! :D:D

DSCN0885.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The "special" tools are all in the pics :D

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

looking good. how hard was the regearing? i am thinking about regearing my own axles. did you need any special tools?

aperently you need a cool whip bucket and diet pepsi

a dial indicator on a magnetic base, and i can get by with a soft-faced hammer for everything else? is the case spreader neccesary? or does it just make the job easier?

It really wasn't that hard to do. I did it with a guy that had done a bunch of them. We used setup bearings which makes it alot easier. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. The biggest drawback in doing it yourself is the tools involved. If you have a case spreader, a set of good micometers and a dial indicator with a magnetic base its not bad at all.

Good Luck...

Thats the main stuff right there. Also gonna need a way to press on ur bearings. You may be able to heat the bearings and cool the carrier, but that only depends on how tight they fit to begin with. Sometimes that works sometimes it doesn't.

The 9" is in place, but that’s about it. I spent most of the Sat. before Easter chasing down parts and grinding the axle shaft flanges so that the new rotors would fit. It started out by me not wanting to use redrilled Chevy rotors. So I decided to go with 95 Dodge ram rotors because of the bolt pattern and the bigger diameter "hat" to fit over the axle flange. Well apparently there are different size 9" axle shaft flanges, and it needed more than a 1/16" ground down like people say, but that’s no big deal.

Some people say that they put the rear axle on stands, pull the tires, put 'er in drive and run the grinder till the rotor fits. Well I didn't have that option and my hand got tired from turning the axle so I came up wit this idea. It did the job :D

DSCN02041.JPG
DSCN02031.JPG

DSCN0205.JPG

So while the bench grinder had the axle spinning, I used my Dewalt to grind down the axle flange. Don't worry I didn't grind down too much and weaken it, I compared it to one of my spare shafts and there is still more metal on this one than there is on my spare, so I guess they just used different diameter flanges.

Now the rotor fit over the flange like this.
DSCN0207.JPG

DSCN0206.JPG

As it sat at the end of the day.
DSCN0211.JPG

Well I came back to PA the next weekend to work on it and when I tried to put on my new calipers, the rotor was too thick to fit between the caliper and the new pads. So needless to say I was kind of pissed that I spent all the time grinding down the flanges and now my rotors didn't work. I know other people used these rotors, but apparently they used different calipers than I did. Since I had to use these Cadillac calipers, I had to search for a rotor that was thinner. I ended up with a Zuki Sidekick front rotor. It fit over the flange and def had enough room to fit in the caliper. Actually the new rotor is only about 1/2" thick or so. I saw that other people on pirate used these too, so I think the caliper should have enough movement in the piston to still work.

No pics of the current setup. As it sits right now it’s bolted under the truck with the calipers mounted and sitting under its own weight on jack stands. I still have to bend some new hard lines but besides that it’s all done. Well I still needa find someone to regear the 9". Anyone in PA or MD wanna help me out?

Stay tuned, I'm going to have to turn it on here soon if I'm gonna get it done before Carlisle and the 'Nor Easter. If I can ever stop traveling for work I think I'll be able to make it.

maybe you can help me setup my new d44 r&p, as I sheared my pinion today.

When I put the disc brakes on my 9" the I used Dodge Ram 1500 rotors and they slid right on, I also used 74 Chevy 1 ton calipers, they worked very well. I have a pic of the setup if you like I can post it.

Eric

When I put the disc brakes on my 9" the I used Dodge Ram 1500 rotors and they slid right on, I also used 74 Chevy 1 ton calipers, they worked very well. I have a pic of the setup if you like I can post it.

Eric

Yeah the Dodge rotors went right on one of my spare shafts. Seems that there were different size flanges. I tried to use the truck calipers because I figured they would be bigger, but they did not work with the brackets that my axle had. I was was stuck with the calipers from a Seville.

I just found out I have to go to San Jose, Santa Clara and San Francisco for about a month.... Looks like I'm not getting this thing done by June....:(

Well CA is off the table. I was kinda looking forward to it, but now I will have alot more time to work on the Ex. I will get out of NY on Sunday and I hope to be In PA to work on it by Wed. Its gonna be a wrench fest to get this thing done, but I should be able to do it.

Did you have any trouble getting the pads into the calipers and then bolting it all together? I'm having a time getting mine all together.

Pads went into the calipers fine. What are your specs? As I stated above, my combo of Seville calipers, and Dodge rotors didn't work. The rotor did not fit between the pads, thats why I ended up going with the Zuk rotor.

I haven't even touched the rotor yet, i'm just talking about getting the pads in the caliper and then running the bolts through it with the bracket in my hand.

CA is back on.... I'm out here right now, boss says it will be for no more than 2 weeks. I'm staying in San Jose, anyone in the area wanna do some wrenchin' or wheelin'?

After I get back It will be a mad dash to get done. Not sure if Carlisle will be in the cards. I'll at least show up, but might not be with the Ex. Guess I'll finish up ordering my parts so I can have at it when I get home.

Anyone in the MD area need a computer tech. or programmer? Work is seriously cutting into my wrenching and wheeling time. In all seriousness I love my job and have plenty of growth potential with the company, but they do piss me off sometimes. (Spas agrees with me too) I'm out here till the end of the month now. Oh well at least I wont have to rush it and do a half assed job.

On the upside, I figured out how I will make my food expenses pay for a new mig welder :D

Top Ramen and water? :D

No microwave in my hotel room, I wish it were that easy. Plus thats too much like college, and I don't need that again.

My figures:

$50 per diem

Breakfast: I bought bulk cereal bars and OJ
Lunch: Can get it free where I'm working.
Dinner: $25-$30 if i'm a really hungry.

So at an average of 27.5 in my pocket over the 21 days I'll be here I will have $577.5 in free money. Thats a best case scenario, but I should pull at least $400 till I'm done. A little out of my pocket and I can get this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130108470193&rd=1&rd=1
or this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130108635659&rd=1&rd=1

Shhh... Don't tell.....

Anyone in the MD area need a computer tech. or programmer? Work is seriously cutting into my wrenching and wheeling time. In all seriousness I love my job and have plenty of growth potential with the company, but they do piss me off sometimes. (Spas agrees with me too) I'm out here till the end of the month now. Oh well at least I wont have to rush it and do a half assed job.

On the upside, I figured out how I will make my food expenses pay for a new mig welder :D

Look on the bright side though, atleast you are employed. In my area shops are shutting down and jobs are being lost.

Good luck on getting it done. I know how the who time thing is myself.

Eric

lower_coil_mount.jpg

This is not my rig, just the only picture of the mounts that I could find.

Got a set of the Rob Myer lower coil mounts from a guy on the Rough Ranger board. Paid a little more than I wanted to, but I couldn't get any info from Rob on getting new ones. My set is undrilled and I'm going to offset the holes as far to the outside as possible in an attempt to eliminate the need to space out the upper coil buckets.

I plan to order these weld in TRE inserts and the chevy TREs this week.

Back