'97 V8's Manual 4406 swap..finally | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 V8's Manual 4406 swap..finally

Well Finally my parts are coming in for my t-case swap. My t-case will be here Wednesday. My driveshafts and gas tank on Monday. Friday i will begin the swap. Hopefully it will be done within the day.

I did buy a shift linkage from a 97 f-150. Now i just have to figure out where to put it becuase of the center console interferance.

As V8boatbuilders thread indicated, i bought a rear driveshaft froma 97 Expedition, and front froma 97 f-150. THe wrecking yard was kind enough to include new u-joints on the shafts. The gas tank is out of a 97 sport.
The transfer case is out of a 1997 f-150. Its a 4406 manual with a speedo hole for the VSS thankfully.

Since i'll have the t-case out, im going to go ahead and replace the transmission mount bushing with a polyurethane mount. Does daystar make one for the 4r70w?

My only concern is how im going to get the center console out. Im going to search around on the forum to see how i can remove it. If you have any suggestion on the shift linkage set up, im all ears.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

[QUOTE='97 V8]it should ask you when its doing the search...AOD or 4r70w. Click on 4r70w.

The shift linkage never comes with the case and good luck finding one. They usually throw em away. I had to spen an extra 117 bucks for my linkage.[/QUOTE]

What search are you using to find it. Any search I have found dosent let me choose a tranny. I found one listed in Flordia for $75.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

all of those are electric shift or shift motors

here is what Im doing:
search1.JPG

search2.JPG

i didnt see that one. Careful. there is some cases that have uber high miles or are sold as cores.

Not tying to high jack your thread,does the 1354 and the 4406 have the same transmission bolt pattern.From what i have read i am guessing they do.

Nope.

Ok thanks,i have found a wrecked v-8 ex and was wondering,so the v-8 explorers have a diferent transfercase than a v-6.Thanks for everything back to topic.

all v6 trucks are 60 degree block with a completely different transmission, 5 bolt Ford t case
the V8 is a traditional 90 degree SB Ford 5.0L with a AOD-E like transmission, 6 bolt t case

You can run the adapter like 410 and I are doing. Or you can go the better, cheaper, route and find a 4406 manual. :cool:

I have been checking around and depending on the last two numbers of the case ID, they are available within reasonalble distance. What I don't understand is why are there so may versions, and which one(s) can I use? I thought the 5.4 and 4.6 shared the same tranny. If that was the case then why is there a different case for the 5.4? Is is stronger? Will it work for the swap?

I dont know to be honest with ya. Write down the numbers and call the dealership and run the numbers past em. if my truck was with me, i would go out and check for ya.

I know Ford likes to change the part number as much as they can. If they change a tcase gear from metal to plastic, they change the part number of the whole transfer case. Often times they'll change the way something is wired. I ran into this while trying to replace my hatch. I said, "I need a hatch from a 95-97 Explorer'. The guy argueed with me saying I need to know my exact build date because they had at least two different versions in 1996 alone. I told him I didn't care! :p I guess it was because they changed the wiper motor wiring or something.

So, what I'm getting at: With a manual transfer case, as long as it bolts up to the tranny you should be golden. :cool:

I would think all 4r70W 4x4 versions would have the same 6 bolt output shaft and tailhousing, dont they?

This means all 5.0L explorer AWD 96-01 & 4.6L F-150, expedition, and explorer right? Not sure about the 5.4

I think I gathered in my reasearch that you did have to use a 4.6L and not a 5.4L transfer case. :eek: That was a long time ago though. I am getting old.

410Fortune said:
I would think all 4r70W 4x4 versions would have the same 6 bolt output shaft and tailhousing, dont they?

This means all 5.0L explorer AWD 96-01 & 4.6L F-150, expedition, and explorer right? Not sure about the 5.4

Theoretically. While doing the research part before the swap, i had a look at a 4406 in a dealers lot with the 5.4..it was an electric, and it looked exactly the same. I think the 5.4 will fit up no problem.

EDIT: i just found the old website i used to research my case, apparently the 4.6 and 5.4 cases are the same. I called the dude up at drivetrain.com and he looked through his book and confirmed that the 5.4 is the same. Same bolt pattern and etc.

In other words, buy the friggin case already :D

1999-2005 DTS419-2 BW4406 (W/o Torque on Demand) (manual shift) shift on fly, w/speed sensor hole $868.75
$350.00

Back