a4ld to Manual M50D Swap How-to | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

a4ld to Manual M50D Swap How-to

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also not sure, but an ecu from a 91-93 are all the same. As for the harness, get the chunk that is connected to the A4LD, it does connect up on the driver side fender well, also, that portion of the harness does connect to two sensors on the drivers side of the engine block... I believe a temp and the fake oil pressure sensor critter. I cut those wires as long as possible on the junker harness, and then soldered and shrink-wrapped them to the wires on the sensors on the block.

As for the CPU, you unplug the old, then plug in the new, the end. The wiring under the dash is all there and done, right down to the plug for the clutch safety switch.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I were to ever do this again I think I'd pull the dash. Trying to slide the clutch pedal in is EXTREMELY difficult. Obviously not impossible, but not fun my any means.

No... removing the dash sucks. Hard. With teeth.

I'm also not sure, but an ecu from a 91-93 are all the same. As for the harness, get the chunk that is connected to the A4LD, it does connect up on the driver side fender well, also, that portion of the harness does connect to two sensors on the drivers side of the engine block... I believe a temp and the fake oil pressure sensor critter. I cut those wires as long as possible on the junker harness, and then soldered and shrink-wrapped them to the wires on the sensors on the block.

As for the CPU, you unplug the old, then plug in the new, the end. The wiring under the dash is all there and done, right down to the plug for the clutch safety switch.

There are many hardware and wiring changes through the years. 91 to 92 might be compatible and 93 to 94 may as well. Cam sensor was introduced as well as the egr system and o2 sensors. Make sure you get the proper one.

There are many hardware and wiring changes through the years. 91 to 92 might be compatible and 93 to 94 may as well. Cam sensor was introduced as well as the egr system and o2 sensors. Make sure you get the proper one.

I know 93 does not equal 94. The cam sensor and other crappy stuff got added.

What? It only takes a half an hour to pull the dash.

Exactly. Same amount of time to wrestle with the ebrake assembly, plus the amount of tub soaking time to help with the back pain...yadda yadda.

Thanks guys! Another question, im fairly certain i can use the m5od trans from a ranger (I assume it will be easier to find in the ranger), but can I use the cpu from the ranger assuming its a 4.0 OHV? Also are the other parts interchangeable from a ranger to explorer (master cylinder, pedals, hose and so on? Also assuming the ranger is 4X4.

I'm not sure about the CPU, but *if* the ranger is a 4.0 ohv (the sohc has a different flywheel) everything else should just swap right over.

Check all the assorted plug shapes to make sure things will fit together.

The Rangers/Explorer's used a different ECM. At least 93-94 model years do. The wiring is different. 91-92 might be the same.

Ok im replacing the clutch in my 94.....how does the slave cylinder hose come out?

As far as I was able to figure out, once that clip thing is together, it just is. I could be wrong.... but be careful.

had to go buy a special $5 tool to get it off :) Now, today comes all the work of putting everything back together.

Ok i wanna replace the rear main seal while im here, how the heck does the old one come out?

I am in the middle of this swap as well and am having the same problem with the wiring. I have a 91 XLT and got the parts from a 93 Ranger with the 4.0. Got everything in and put back together and now it won't start.....Anyone else have this problem? Got a great big boat anchor out in the driveway now (but it sure does look good). Anyone with any insight on this, please let me know.

Does it crank or just nothing? Which ECM and wiring did you use?

Not sure if the wiring harness from a 1993 will work for a 1991....I know that the 1991 explorers don't have the EGR that a 1993 does. I dont know if that could have anything to do with it.

I am in the middle of this swap as well and am having the same problem with the wiring. I have a 91 XLT and got the parts from a 93 Ranger with the 4.0. Got everything in and put back together and now it won't start.....Anyone else have this problem? Got a great big boat anchor out in the driveway now (but it sure does look good). Anyone with any insight on this, please let me know.

Wiring needs to be close in years. There is more emissions equipment on the 93-94. I tried to use a 91 harness and it was definitely different from the 93 harness that I got to use.

I've also come to find that the wiring and ECUs in the 93+ Rangers is very different than it is in the Explorer. As far as an ECU is concerned you need to stick with the same year as there were quite a few changes year to year. I do believe I mailed off my 91 harness to someone on here but I'll take a quick look around tonight.

Also make sure to have your clutch switch plugged in. With a manual harness you'll need that switch to be working in order to start. You can try to jump the solenoid to see if it is a starter interlock issue or an ECU issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wiring needs to be close in years. There is more emissions equipment on the 93-94. I tried to use a 91 harness and it was definitely different from the 93 harness that I got to use.

I've also come to find that the wiring and ECUs in the 93+ Rangers is very different than it is in the Explorer. As far as an ECU is concerned you need to stick with the same year as there were quite a few changes year to year. I do believe I mailed off my 91 harness to someone on here but I'll take a quick look around tonight.

Also make sure to have your clutch switch plugged in. With a manual harness you'll need that switch to be working in order to start. You can try to jump the solenoid to see if it is a starter interlock issue or an ECU issue.

Switches are all plugged in and seem to be in order. I will try jumping the solenoid when I get home from work this evening. I will let you know how it works out. Hopefully the shifter extension will be there so I can get it installed as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back