After 80,000 Great Miles, MFT Still SUCKS! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

After 80,000 Great Miles, MFT Still SUCKS!

Bill #5 Explorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
Such a great Explorer! But, after 80,000 miles, the MFT system still sucks! My Garmin from 2007 is still better, faster, and easier to use.

The last MFT update I had was in late-late February (called something like "version #4" not sure). I had to do my second Master Reset yesterday since February. Of course you lose everything in your "FAVORITES".

I can drive for over 10 miles before MFT loads the navigation, and finds me on the map. Won't plot a destination. And so s l o w.

Using an iPhone 5 if that matters. Heard about issues with auto downloading choaking the system. I need to look into that.

Truck going in on the 19th for service to the MFT.

How do I know what update I have? Are there more recent updates since the February one?

This is my forth Explorer since 2003 (03, 05, 07, and the 2011). I'll be buying another SUV in about 18 months, so I really hope Ford is fixing MFT so I can stay in an Explorer, or I'll be looking at the Acadia, Durango, or Jeep.

Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They will be doing a slight redesign for 2015 Ford Explorers I believe which include real buttons. In my Fusion, the MFT hasn't choked up on me yet and it's a 2013 MY. The navigation seems to be responsive and not choke itself. It's just so hard to input the addresses because when you press a button, it's slow. However, for luxury and looks, the Acura MDX would be a good choice too.

However, for luxury and looks, the Acura MDX would be a good choice too.

For work, I drive American. For fast weekend runs, however, I drive German!:D

They will be doing a slight redesign for 2015 Ford Explorers I believe which include real buttons. In my Fusion, the MFT hasn't choked up on me yet and it's a 2013 MY. The navigation seems to be responsive and not choke itself. It's just so hard to input the addresses because when you press a button, it's slow. However, for luxury and looks, the Acura MDX would be a good choice too.

Try inputting addresses using voice commands. Much faster.

Try inputting addresses using voice commands. Much faster.

Voice commands are a bit worse for me because it thinks I said something else. Anyway, won't hijack the thread.

For how to know what version you have. I think you can go to syncmyride.com and check there.

For how to know what version you have. I think you can go to syncmyride.com and check there.

Just checked. I have:

GEN2 V3.5.1

Is this the newest update?

Thanks everyone.

For work, I drive American. For fast weekend runs, however, I drive German!:D

For the wife, she drives American. For me, I drive German. She loves the Ex, while I simply tolerate its handling and performance which is unrefined and sloppy by comparison.

Just checked. I have:

GEN2 V3.5.1

Is this the newest update?

Thanks everyone.

Version 3.5.1 is the latest software, Bill; there will be another update coming soon (I don't have details yet).

Such a great Explorer! But, after 80,000 miles, the MFT system still sucks! My Garmin from 2007 is still better, faster, and easier to use.

The last MFT update I had was in late-late February (called something like "version #4" not sure). I had to do my second Master Reset yesterday since February. Of course you lose everything in your "FAVORITES".

I can drive for over 10 miles before MFT loads the navigation, and finds me on the map. Won't plot a destination. And so s l o w.

Using an iPhone 5 if that matters. Heard about issues with auto downloading choaking the system. I need to look into that.

Truck going in on the 19th for service to the MFT.

How do I know what update I have? Are there more recent updates since the February one?

This is my forth Explorer since 2003 (03, 05, 07, and the 2011). I'll be buying another SUV in about 18 months, so I really hope Ford is fixing MFT so I can stay in an Explorer, or I'll be looking at the Acadia, Durango, or Jeep.

Thank you.

I just checked my records and see that there is a fix that your dealership can preform for your GPS concerns. Unfortunately, I cannot provide the fix number, but they can look it up in the same system I'm using.

As far as your phone concerns, do you have any special characters or emoticons in your phonebook entries or the name of your phone? A couple examples: >, <, &, *. If you do, they will need to be removed, and that will help with the preforming scheduled maintenance screen. Also, try turning off Auto Phonebook Download and do the following:

*Touch the Phone corner > Settings > Manage Phonebook. Turn Automatic Phonebook Download OFF.
*Touch Delete to remove the Phonebook.
*Scroll down and touch Re-download Phonebook.

Do this for each paired phone, and let me know if it helps!

Rebecca

Which year?

... I just checked my records and see that there is a fix that your dealership can preform for your GPS concerns. Unfortunately, I cannot provide the fix number ...

Rebecca

I think this is the second time Rebecca has mentioned a "fix" for Nav issues with a 2011 model year. From everything else mentioned on here the latest TSB for Nav issues is for 2013 models. What's the scoop? Has anyone with an '11 or '12 had the Nav TSB performed?

Thank you, Rebbeca.

So yesterday I did the "Master Reset" and stopped the auto downloading of the phonebook, and everything really woke up and is much better.

I think I'll cancel my appointment at the dealership for the 19th and just wait for the next update to be completed.

If someone could update this thread when the new update comes out, that would be OUTSTANDING! Thanks.

As far as your phone concerns, do you have any special characters or emoticons in your phonebook entries or the name of your phone? A couple examples: >, <, &, *. If you do, they will need to be removed, and that will help with the preforming scheduled maintenance screen.

I don't know. How would I check this? Thanks again, Rebecca.:)

I don't know. How would I check this? Thanks again, Rebecca.:)

You're welcome; I'm glad it's working better now. To check for the special characters, you'd have to look at the names of each of your contacts in your phone.

Rebecca

Thank you, Rebbeca.

So yesterday I did the "Master Reset" and stopped the auto downloading of the phonebook, and everything really woke up and is much better.
Turning off the auto phonebook update does seem to prevent performance issues. Loganfilm learned that one the hard way with his multi-thousand contact list.

But you are correct - MFT does still suck. Other than that, I like my Explorer a lot.

It is just a toy

And at that it is a broken toy. Takes me 4-5 times to place a call to my wife. Maybe it doesn't understand English.

I am glad I have knobs for the volume and fan speed on my 2013 EX XLT.

When needed Nav I will use my Gramin but with all that I love my EX~!~!

Hope the next update fixes the voice issues..."call home" is not call mom....is there an update coming?

Best features...answering calls...worst placing calls and finding something with nav...

When will the new version with knobs come out?

It seems Ford has lost many millions in dales with this junk system, making it a new classic example of failed corporate-think.
If you look at the sales figures, they are way up and I have heard/read that the MFT is one of the reasons. Mine has worked fine from day one. I believe Ford plans to reintroduce some of the control knobs with the 2015 models. Another software update for the MFT is due out this Summer.

Peter

Takes me 4-5 times to place a call to my wife. Maybe it doesn't understand English.

Hope the next update fixes the voice issues..."call home" is not call mom....is there an update coming?

My wife never answers her phone, either! LOL!! And the kids? Forgetaboutit. They only text.

Keep in mind the system needs to "learn" your voice. Cadance, inflection, tone, for example. So, if your not using the voice commands very ofter, it's not getting an education on your voice pattern. The system learns with time, and does improve.

Just a thought.

When will the new version with knobs come out?

It seems Ford has lost many millions in dales with this junk system, making it a new classic example of failed corporate-think.

I sure hope the person (probably a few team members) who developed the MFT system several years ago, got a H U G E demotion, at the very least, and fired from Ford at the very best. And NO bonus that year.

Someone at Ford signed off on MFT back in 2009 or 2010 and said, "Yep, this MFT system is ready to go". That guy/girl I hope got canned!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just checked my records and see that there is a fix that your dealership can preform for your GPS concerns. Unfortunately, I cannot provide the fix number, but they can look it up in the same system I'm using.

Rebecca

Rebecca,

Would you elaborate on what the dealer fix does for the NAV?

Back