Reading Text Messages with iOS 6.1.2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reading Text Messages with iOS 6.1.2

tgunn_ocs

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
We recently updated to iOS 6.1.2 on our iPhone 5s. Since this update, MFT no longer will read incoming texts like it did before the update. We are experiencing this same issue on both of our 2013 Explorers.

Anyone else experiencing the same issue? Guessing it was something with the update from Apple that it doesn't like. I have tried forgetting the setups on both the Ex and the phone and then repairing, still have the issue.

Otherwise, MFT is working fine (knocking on wood).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Me too, but it was sporadic during v6.0 as well

As Ford IVT reps have mentioned previously here, Apple chose a proprietary version of BlueTooth MAP so MFT has to be updated to work with it.

Lets hope a future update fixes this.

Try going to Settings-Bluetooth-Sync and make sure that the Show Notifications switch is flipped to ON. I was having the same problem when I upgraded to an iPhone and didn't realize that the Explorer wouldn't read the texts back to me unless I had the setting turned on in my iPhone. Didn't have to do this with the old Blackberry, but ever since I turned it on everything has been great. It will read text messages and imessages, btw.

Strange this works for a few but no others. I get nothing with ios 6.1.2

Come on Ford, fix this already

Both phones were/are showing notifications, still not working.....both of our phones would allow texts to be read through until MFT until we upgraded to iOS 6.1.2.....now they don't come through at all.

Damn Apple.

I have the latest Sync update and iOS 6.1.2 and I get text notifications. Plays a little chime and shows on the screen with the choices to view, listen or ignore.

Would be nice if someone from the IVT team can comment on this. Why is it working for some but not all of us, seems like a recall issue.

I will send a PM to Rebecca, maybe she can shed some light on this for us.

Would be nice if someone from the IVT team can comment on this. Why is it working for some but not all of us, seems like a recall issue.

I will send a PM to Rebecca, maybe she can shed some light on this for us.

Thanks for the PM, Saffer!

I'm checking with my support on this, however, we still list this feature as incompatible with the iPhone on our compatibility chart:

http://www.nsapp.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/sync/usEN/sync_us_EN_iop_2_00.pdf

Rebecca

I have a 2013 Explorer Limited, with the latest MFT update and Iphone 5 with IOS 6.1.2. My MFT notifies me of incomming text and it will read the text to me. However, I cannot send text from MFT.

I played a little with system on my wife's 2013 EX (she has more issues than me). I went ahead and disconnect the phone and deleted the bluetooth setup in the phone. I then re-paired them and her system has been working better....including her texts now being read to her. I didn't have to do the master reset. When I get a free moment, I will try the same on mine.

One other quick note, we both are interfacing our playlists from our phones via USB as opposed to Bluetooth and that works well on our systems.

I have iOS 6.1.2 and it will read texts to me. Not sure how I got it to work, but I followed the instructions in one of the threads on here.

I noticed at iOS 6.1.3 is now available. Has anyone tried this with MFT?

My iPhone 5 with the latest update works great. For those of you having issues, I would start by deleting your phone, turning it off, then turn it back on and re-pair. Before you re-pair your phone, make sure Wifi is turned off on your iPhone. I originally was having issues saying my phone didn't support text message notifications. After doing a little research, I found the fix on Apple's message boards. I did everything mentioned above and it's been working great ever since. I believe the key thing to do is making sure Wifi is turned off when you are paring your phone.

When a SMS message comes in, I get the alert and I can use the steering wheel controls to have MFT read me the message...works great. Occasionally, while I am listening to the first message a second one will come in before I complete listening to the first. I can see no way to access this second message from the drivers control and display. I can see the message on the main screen, but the controls are dimmed and unavailable until I stop the car.

I hope I am just missing something obvious. So, does anyone know how to access unread massages and have MFT read them to you while the car is in motion? ('prefer doing this from the steering wheel)

I have an iPhone.

Ditto on the start over suggestions...
the salesman told my wife her phone couldn't do text...
but my BB would....
I decided to unpair both, verify that the send notification was on and the phone was configured correctly, then restarted the phone, repaired, and she can see text now...

Driving home the other day I was pretty surprised when I received a text message on my iphone and it alerted me in the car !!! I could view the messages and the system could read them, but that was all I could do, could not send a new message or reply to it.

It has not done this since and now I am just further confused and frustrated. It has clearly been stated that this is not supported, then why did a message pop up ?

I am currently on ios 6.1.2 (avoiding .3 due to many issues with it)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Seems some are a little more tech savvy than some others. I just ordered an iPhone after my android bit the dust. Sad day. We'll see how apple makes out!

Let us know how your iPhone plays with Sync, I doubt you will be happy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Saffer, I have had good results with my Iphone IOS 6.1.3. The only problem I have encountered was not able to send text from MFT. I can receive them to view and listen. My bluetooth works also. I play Pandora through my Iphone and sound is good and displays the song title and artist. In fact I feel the sound is better than SiriusXM. SiriusXM is compressing thier streaming so much that it clips many of the highs.

Back