Another choosing a flowmaster muffler question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another choosing a flowmaster muffler question

mikesparky

Reaction score
City, State
WPB, FL / Southern Pines, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 sport OHV
I have a 95 4.0 ohv sport with a KKM intake on the way and I'd like to replace the muffler and possibly cat back. I'd like something that has a good tone to it but doesn't drone at speed. I've been browsing the threads here and they're filled with a lot of great advice but I still have a few questions.

I've heard the 70 series being suggested and have been leaning towards it since it is the most quiet. I called up flowmaster with another question and they said it was too much muffler for my engine. Is this true? I know some resistance is needed, just don't know how much and it sounds like others have had success with it. (Flowmaster suggests the 50 suv which I've heard conflicting reports of "mellow" and "too loud".)

Whatever muffler I get, should I upgrade from the 2.25 pipe to 2.5 from the cat back or just replace the muffler.

I'm doing all of this for gas mileage and don't mind the added performance. =o] Thanks for all of the advice, it has definitely helped me revive my 95.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go with the 50 Series. The 40's will be too loud and 70 series is barely noticeable. I have a 50 series on my dads f150 and its noticeable but not overwhelming loud. Go with the 2.5" pipes too...

Thanks Snoborder, what did you have the 70 on? Just curious if my engine would be compatible or just bog out.

Thanks Snoborder, what did you have the 70 on? Just curious if my engine would be compatible or just bog out.

I didn't have it on anything, my buddys dad had it on his silverado and at full throttle you could barely tell that it had a muffler other than stock.

Nice audio clip PRS, sounds good. =o] What's the sound like in the cabin on the highway? That's my big worry.
Thanks.

If fuel mileage is a big goal, do not install too large of main pipes. 2.5" pipes are too much for the V6, unless you start turning 7000rpm racing.

Choose a muffler for sound, other than some tiny 2.0" muffler sizes, no muffler is too large for any Explorer. The muffler is not the biggest restriction of an entire exhaust, that is the cats, bends and pipe sizes.

Sorry to sound demeaning, it is just very hard to constantly read about people with too large of exhausts(2.5" pipes on stock 4.0 engine) telling others that it is good for economy. The stock exhaust sizes for almost all vehicles are already optimized for economy. I'm speaking of pipe sizes, not mufflers, cats or crossovers. Just the basic OEM pipe sizes are fine for best fuel economy. Going larger can often hurt economy. Installing improved mufflers, tailpipes, or cats with extra large main pipes will increase fuel economy. But the larger pipes did not help, they lessened what could have been gained.

The problem is that everyone changes both the restrictive components, and the pipe sizes at the same time. They assume that every single change was an improvement. They do not even consider that any changes were detrimental.

Again, forget every thing else, choose a muffler based on your desires for sound. Install tail pipes for appearance, knowing that the larger they are, the louder the sound will be. 2.25" main pipes is an excellent size for the V6, it is a little too small for the 302. Good luck,

Nothing demeaning at all. You gave the facts that I've been looking for so thanks!

Just to be sure I understand, you're saying that I can throw on a 70 series and leave the stock 2.25 pipes and be good because the flow will be regulated enough by the pipes and the muffler will just offer sound improvement and an increase in fuel economy?

i just ordered my 50 SUV yesterday at schucks... i have to wait till next tuesday to pick it up! i cant wait.... i got the dual 2.5 in single 2.5 out i think. thanks to your recommendation i'm gona leave all the stock pipes on but what do i need to do about the 2.5 in? i know they make adapters at autozone how should i connect them? what parts should i weld and what parts should i clamp?

Another thought. I'm installing a KKM intake which will give increased flow over stock. In your opinion would that make installing 2.5 piping less of a problem since the 2.25 pipes are optimised for the OEM intake? Just curious...
Thanks.

I think the 50 suv comes in 2.25" too, at least for the single in and out.

pardon me, i guess it's a dual 2.25 in 3 out. 3 is huge. does it even matter what size pipes you run from the muffler back? i want to put a y pipe on the outlet and run dual 2.25's out the back.

The intake side(air cleaner is a big restriction for almost all engines), do that of course. But that isn't related to the exhaust, it's just a "weakest link in the chain," which is why everybody does that.

The next big fuel economy gain possible should be synthetic fluids. For the cost of gas now the high cost of synthetics is almost always worth it for the gas savings. Check out Al's 30mpg thread here, he has a long long list of changes that have helped a bunch.

The muffler odd sized in/outlets are no problem at all, just buy the cheap size adapters needed to bolt/weld them in. The tailpipe sizes aren't as big of a deal as the main pipes from the headers to the mufflers. Run the tailpipes(and size them) for the way you want them to look, and sound. If you are after less sound be sure to have the exits(tips) outside of the body, not under the truck anywhere. The exhaust sound does bounce off of the ground, and then under the truck, which makes it louder. If you point the tips away from the body the sound inside will be quieter. Regards,

When I ordered my flowmaster 50 series muffler, I got the dual 2.25" in. Dual 2.5" in is going to be too large. Your going to have to get adapter that step the inlets down to 2.25". As for a single 2.5" out, this is perfect. CDW, I dont know why you're saying 2.5" is too large, I dont think it is on the 4.0 SOHC. I personally have one and tryed many many exhaust system on it. (Dual 2.25" pipe, single 2.25" pipe, single 2.5" pipe.) The best one I have so far is single in 2.5", single out 2.5" on a flowmaster original 40 muffler. Single 2.5" out is reccomended by flowmaster, magnaflow, and IMCO for our engines...not to mention a lot of people with the 4.0 SOHC is running this setup.

Mikesparky, my personal opinion is the 50 series SUV sounds too ricey at high RPMS. I had dual 2.25" in , dual 2.25" out. I just didnt like the muffler, didnt get low enough. I ended up putting a dual 2.25"/single 2.5" Y pipe on the stock pipes and running a single in/single out 2.5" flowmaster original 40 muffler. This muffler DOES get loud and DOES drone, but I feel it sounds good. Much deeper than the 50 series. If you want a more quiet muffler, get the super 40 muffler. I ran this in single in/single out 2.5" and it was really quiet unless you got on it. It also didnt drone. I guess our engines dont like delta flow technology? If you search, other members said this as well. V6's and flowmaster super 40's just dont get loud... but they get deep. Also, keep in mind delta flow was designed to help keep drone out of the cabin and keep the sound outside of the truck. Good luck.....

Also, a good seller is www.performance-curve.com. He sells the Y pipes needed like stated above as well as the mufflers. He sells V-Flow mufflers as well which are flowmaster knock offs. The only thing is they knock off the original 40's which is what you didnt want.

If I were you, go Super 40. 50 was just too ricey for me. And just to throw it out there, the new super 44 mufflers are similar to the super 44's but they do not have a third "wing" in the delta flow technology. Original 40's have 1 wing, super 40's have 3 wings. Super 44's are supposed to be a mix between the two. They get deep and loud; however, they still drain out the cabin noise more so than super 40's

I used to have the 70 series flowmasters on my 01 sport and It sounded alright it wasnt that loud and deep it was quiet.

Now I got the 40 series it sounds a lot different but I wanna get bigger tips like 3 inch tips.

I used to have the 70 series flowmasters on my 01 sport and It sounded alright it wasnt that loud and deep it was quiet.

Now I got the 40 series it sounds a lot different but I wanna get bigger tips like 3 inch tips.

original or super 40?

Thanks everyone, I've ordered the 70 and I'm still debating on whether to go with a 2.5" catback pipe or leave the 2.25" stock pipe and see how that does first.

Is there a way to just bolt on a muffler temporarily to give it a test run or is welding the only option?

i think u can use muffler clamps?

Some parts stores sell the large band clamps, those are excellent. If you can make a good slip fit, those band clamps will be permanent, and not damage the pipes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, I'll see if those will work.

Back