Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 62 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
So, I got the ExSpo back today from the dealer after being on vacation for a week. I was informed that they did a AC System flush of some sort and a EVAP cleaning. They took it for a test drive and did not notice the smell anymore. I got the car, drove it on the freeway a bit, but there was a ton of traffic so I couldn't open it up.

On the way into my work there is a large sweeping two-lane offramp on an incline where you can easily hit 80 for a good 5 seconds before needing to slow down around the bend... I did just that and what do you know, clear as a summer day, the smell is there.

So upset, I went around and did it again just to make sure my mind wasn't playing tricks on me and yes, I confirmed the smell is still there.

I guess I knew the dealer really didn't do anything but I wanted to hope they found some easy fix that no one else had come across. I'll be calling them and Ford Corp Cust Service again tomorrow. This is not an issue I am willing to live with and I am NOT happy I will likely take many more trips to the dealer so they can attempt to fix it, meanwhile I struggle to find a ride to work and back etc... *REALLY* regretting buying Ford right now, though I am willing to give a few more chances to fix it.

Come on Ford...step up and take care of this! I'm supposed to still be in honeymoon phase with this 8 month old ride...this is BS!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

An A/C system flush and EVAP cleaning has nothing to do with the smell if it occurs under hard acceleration. Those are 2 entirely different issues.

Peter

An A/C system flush and EVAP cleaning has nothing to do with the smell if it occurs under hard acceleration. Those are 2 entirely different issues.

Peter

Yea Peter, I know that, but this was the first step and what ford tech line told the dealer to do...(supposedly)

Lame

I guess it is on to step 2 then, whatever that might be. Good luck.

Peter

Bad or Burnt smell during hard acceleration

Owners of 2011-2014 Explorer, Edge, Flex or MKX.

If any of you are interested in bringing a case against Ford related to exhaust odors in the cabin. Please send all documents related to repairs, letters, invoices, work orders and contact information. to eduardoalvarezcruz@hotmail.com

Please spread the word is the only way we can force the car manufacturers to think about THE SAFETY rather than money.

Thanks
Eduardo Alvarez

If any of you are interested in bringing a case against Ford related to exhaust odors in the cabin. Please send all documents related to repairs, letters, invoices, work orders and contact information. to eduardoalvarezcruz@hotmail.com

Please spread the word is the only way we can force the car manufacturers to think about THE SAFETY rather than money.

Thanks
Eduardo Alvarez

1,200 replies, 211,000 views and 60+ pages on this forum regarding this issue. What are you going to do, bring on a class action lawsuit where only the lawyers will make out?

Not trying to downplay the issue but exhaust is all around you. You smell it behind a diesel truck, you smell it behind a 20 year old car.. you smell it while sitting in traffic. It is everywhere, nothing more Ford is going to do unless you try to bring a lemon law case against them which is on an individual basis.

There have been people on here who have purchased CO2 detectors for the vehicle and the measurements were well within safety limits.

Best of luck to you.. but again, besides a lemon law case, not sure where you are going to go with this.

1,200 replies, 211,000 views and 60+ pages on this forum regarding this issue. What are you going to do, bring on a class action lawsuit where only the lawyers will make out?

Not trying to downplay the issue but exhaust is all around you. You smell it behind a diesel truck, you smell it behind a 20 year old car.. you smell it while sitting in traffic. It is everywhere, nothing more Ford is going to do unless you try to bring a lemon law case against them which is on an individual basis.

There have been people on here who have purchased CO2 detectors for the vehicle and the measurements were well within safety limits.

Best of luck to you.. but again, besides a lemon law case, not sure where you are going to go with this.

The co2 is not the only harmful product exiting the exhaust system, also has Benzene, Particulate matter, Mono-nitrogen oxides NO, NO2, Nitrogen and sulfur dioxide among others.

I have two daughters aged 7 and 6 years old, I want to know what that is entering the cabin and CONTAINS.

I requested a copy of the test to Ford and they told me that that's inside info on Ford, I have to trust them.

For your information in the 90's the tobacco companies will present to the Senate of USA studies and information that smoking is good for asthma and for pregnant women.

I bought a vehicle for $ 42,000.00 relies on all ads on the quality.

Nothing is further from reality.

Since I bought the Explorer have been to the workshop to 189 days with a lot of issues PCM, KAM, Home Link, left and right DVD player, rear seat vent outlets, wind noise, SYNC, My Touch, steering wheel, roof Insulation, corrosion in the body, brakes, steering column, Battery, Keyless entry pad, water leaking roof, check engine light, liftgate, windshield washer, loose hose and other.

Ford has been producing the Explore, Edge and MKX for four years and does not mention anything about exhaust odors in ads or the user manual.

If we thought the only thing that matters is self this world is going to get worse.

Thanks for your time.

Thanks
Eduardo Alvarez.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/br..._ref_map=["s=showShareBarUI:p=facebook-like"]

"I requested a copy of the test to Ford and they told me that that's inside info on Ford, I have to trust them"....

To me that says, we either didnt do the actual test, or we did it and there is no specified documentation. In other words, they checked it, it fell within the standard, and simply said, "passed inspection" on the report.

Keep in mind that probably 0.00001% of Explorer owners are members of this forum. Also, the odor issue such as ours has plaqued SUVs for years. I remember my brother's SS Trailblazer would do the same thing when driven hard; same thing with my friend's Infinity. Does that excuse Ford...no, but there were no sucessful class action suits in those instances that I know of. If you have a Lemon Law in your state I would focus on that. Keep in mind that the explorers are everywhere....including across rental companies such as Hertz, etc.

Update on my issue....The dealership had it for four days and concluded that they couldnt reproduce the smell. Thinking they were crazy, I had the service manager take a ride with me, and I ran the crap out of it.....no *significant* odor, just slight smell after WOT! I thought I was going crazy! I took it home and have been running it hard on the freeway ramp almost every morning. Once in a while I will get a slight foul odor, but it is coming from the front airvents (opposite as before with the rear vents), and immediately goes away if I switch to fresh air. Before, the smell was so bad, it would linger even after switching to fresh air mode. What did I do differently? Over the past month or so, I have ran it hard. It appears that whatever was smelling has mostly burnt away(I personally believe it to be fiberglass muffler packing).

I don't think telling owners to run their vehicles hard and doing it a lot is very good advice. That type of driving could lead to other issues. For one thing, that type of driving is hard on the wallet. Your gas mileage will plummet and the transmission, fuel and trim settings will all change for increased fuel consumption. I never had an issue with the smell and neither have the four local Explorer owners I have spoken with.
Some vehicles that are suddenly driven hard have been known to produce a 'rotten egg' smell. That is usually because the extra exhaust forced through the catalytic converter releases the sulphur that has built up in it.

Peter

I agree peterk9. I went ahead and deleted my statement telling folks to drive hard...I wouldnt want anyone to take it literal, and drive like a madman, or overrev their engine! For my situation, the roughly one month of hard driving seems to have burnt up whatever substance I was smelling. I dont plan to continue driving like this, otherwise I would have just gotten a mustang! Not to mention I cant afford to drive on 10 mpg. Everyone's situation could be different. The smell I have now is no longer the burning hair/plastic, but more of a typical rotten egg smell, which I agree is indicative of the catalytic converter. It also only happens when I rev it out, not like before where I got it at 4k rpm passing someone on the freeway. It is promising to hear that not everyone is experiencing this, which leads me to think that this is not a serial design flaw. I think I can finally put this to rest and enjoy my explorer for years to come!

I recommend that any owners suffering from this defect file a complaint with NHTSA as soon as possible. It is imperative they know how many Explorers have this problem/defect and now that they are looking, the time to let them know is now.

Here is the link to file a complaint:

NHTSA: File a Complaint

There is a problem and hopefully with enough pressure from customers and the government, Ford will be compelled to step up to the plate to track down exactly what the issue is and fix it for once and for all.

I have to wonder if those that are experiencing this issue have the rear A/C system on at the time?

I have to wonder if those that are experiencing this issue have the rear A/C system on at the time?

I have run a number of tests with various configurations: Rear A/C On or Off, Recirculation On or Off, and all the variations those can generate.

Every time, the smell has entered the cabin, before and after the TSB was performed. Our experience has varied by buying gas in 7 different states, from near sea-level to several thousand feet up, with octane ratings from 85 to 91, from several different branded gas stations (and a few mom-and-pop operations). Never once did I exceed 4,000 RPM and not have the smell in the cabin.

This not only happens in the 14 sport, but also my 2012 Focus at high rpms. Not the exact same smell, but close enough to say it is very similar to the Sport's smell. Just not as strong in smell overall, but noticiable.

FINALLY, NHTSA recognizes there is a potential risk with this exhaust smell in the cabin. Unfortunately, I can't file a complaint on the NHTSA website since I live in the Philippines. But once there is a recall in the US, we will be included. So, please fellow victims of this exhaust smell, FILE THE COMPLAINT!

I am getting tired of worrying every time I drive the EX.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dragonexplorer12

Your car which was built in the USA.
The agency that regulates auto manufacturing is the NHTSA.
Make your complaint to NHTSA.

Back