band adjustment problems, please help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

band adjustment problems, please help!

nashman918

Reaction score
City, State
Corning, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport
I just installed the Transgo correction kit in my 99 explorer sport, 5r55e tranny. I took it for a test drive and everything seemed great. After driving it a couple days, I noticed an occational 3-2 coast clunk which wasn't there before I installed the kit. I called Transgo and they told me to adjust the bands and that should take care of the problem. So today I attempted this procedure. I backed off the lock nut a couple turns on the intermediate band. Went to torque it to 120 in. lbs. and the lock nut bottomed out before i reached the 120 in. lbs. Backed the lock nut off more, same thing happend. I backed the nut off till only two threads were showing and it still bottomed out. It never reached 120 in. lbs. Same thing with the overdrive band except for the square end on the adjuster screw snapped off in the process so now I can't adjust it. Are my bands broke? I didn't hear anything fall into the pan so I don't think the anchor fell out of position. Like I said, the truck shifts fine other than the 3-2 clunk. Wouldn't I notice more serious tranny issues if my bands were broke? I'm at a stand still and have no idea what to do next. Please help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One of two things is work here. Either the band is and was broken, or, you backed out the adjustng screw along with the nut and a band anchor has fallen out of position.

The former requires removal of the trans to fix, the latter requires that the pan and VB come out. If it IS the latter the anchor will likely be in the pan. If it is the former, it is possible the band piece that an anchor attaches to may be in the pan.

Update

I dropped the pan today. The anchor was still in place and the adjusting screw was right up against it. Went to the local junk yard and found another adjuster. I put the new adjuster in and took the locknut off completely. Now I was able to reach 120 inch pounds. Backed it off two turns and I was good to go. Went back to the intermediate band. I didn't want to risk breaking this adjuster so I just followed Transgo's advice and snugged the adjuster. I then loosened it up just until I could turn the driveshaft by hand and then tightened the locknut. Went for a test run. The 3-2 coast clunk is still present but not as bad and when it shifts into 4th gear, for a second it feels like it wants to flare up but then slams into gear. Anybody out there with the Transgo kit want to give me some feedback on thier experience with this kit and if this is normal or if certain band adjustments can cure this. That would be greatly appreciated. Also, like I mentioned earlier about Transgo's way of adjusting the intermediate band, is this a good way or is it better to follow the specs. Thanks

One thing I should clarify....the 3-4 shift in fine when at light throttle but when I put it under a load is when it feels like flaring up for a sec then slams into gear

Ok so I retract my previous statement.....it doesn't matter what whether I'm light on the throttle or heavy, the 3-4 hard shift happens at any time. It is intermittent. Sometimes the shift is smooth but most of the time it shifts hard. Here's a rundown of what I've done:

Transgo Kit
New VB gaskets
Fluid and filter change with Mercon V
Adjusted bands

I can't figure it out. The 1-2 and 2-3 shift is fast and smooth but I don't understand why the 3-4 shift is hard. I've searched all through this site and it seems like everybody else has a 2-3 problem. I can't find anything on a 3-4 problem. Could this be an EPC issue? The truck has 80K miles on it so not sure if it's time to change it or not.

Back