Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread | Page 124 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread

As some of you know, I am working on building a parts list for a shortened Dana 44, long radius arm with coil overs SAS. 5:13 gears to match my rear axle and an ARB, maybe an electric locker. I have a pretty good list so far. At the same time, I am going to swap out the rear drum brakes for discs off of a 99 Explorer.

Please note: The plan is to keep this project as simple as possible with mostly off the shelf parts. I am not a fabricator, just a decent welder with a what I would consider the minimum required tools (chop saw, cut off wheels, air tools, welder, etc.), who likes doing his own work. Your opinions are welcome, but what I really need is technical advice. I have been thinking about this for several years and now have the time and cash to make it happen. Please keep on topic with your advice and don't go off on a side track about how you would do it as a four-link, or caged arms, or leave the axle full-width because that is not what I want. I want a simple-ish set up that works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a good day trip,

Invite them to truckhaven:D

I am thinking on that, our dogs don't get along. I am not sure I want to deal with conehead dog again. As is, she has to wear the cone of doom for 11 more days.
20191230_181525.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

It's the Cone of Shame!

Get her a "Donut of Despair", there much easier on them. ;)

one of the best movies of all time
i-do-not-like-the-cone-of-shame-up-pixar-doug-dog-960x540.png

There are quite a few alternatives to the cone these days

It's the Cone of Shame!

Get her a "Donut of Despair", there much easier on them. ;)
I looked at those, but it would have to be 2' diameter to keep her from scratching her sutures out.

one of the best movies of all time
i-do-not-like-the-cone-of-shame-up-pixar-doug-dog-960x540.png

There are quite a few alternatives to the cone these days
Sarah picked up a "Zen-Collar" yesterday but it was too large. She is returning it for the large size today. Will try that out and see how she tolerates it. I saw a recovery collar that looked like a giant flower that would have worked, but it would take longer to ship it then it will be needed.

I repaired the broken shifter handle today. Ground down both of the shifter's crappy welds and rewelded them. I then sleeved them with some square tubing I had at the house. It was what I had available, and it worked well because I could notch the tub at the bottom end so it formed to the square part of the handle. The square section of the handle will be under the shift boot.
20191231_170423.jpg

20191231_170430.jpg

I forgot to add this picture from the day trip. While on my way out, I saw a CJ being flat towed by a JK. I guess that's one way to save gas. 3rd and 4th up from me in the long line of cars caused by a Range Rover going 35 MPH for 40 miles.
20191229_082653.jpg

While I was working around the front driveshaft disconnecting the transfer case shift linkage, I took several looks at the yoke and U-joint with the ground down zerk. Tom Woods has these U-joints with the zerks in the end of one cap. I am not a fan of greaseable U-joints, the zerk looks like it self sealed on the rock, so I will leave it alone.

That English rover was probably doing its best! Haha. Can’t you give them a ticket for impeding traffic, Brian? I am always on this side of the law so I don’t know how all that works.

In California, if there are six or more vehicles behind you and you are traveling under the speed limit, you are required to pull over whenever possible to let them pass. In southern California, the land of the clueless driver, those laws are largely ignored.

In California, if there are six or more vehicles behind you and you are traveling under the speed limit, you are required to pull over whenever possible to let them pass. In southern California, the land of the clueless driver, those laws are largely ignored.

Or Enforced :p

My understanding is it has to be a legal turnout as well. On 78 and 79 there aren't many of them.
Five or more vehicles following, unsafe to pass due to roadway conditions or vehicles traveling in opposite direction, driver must turn off the roadway at a marked turnout, or wherever sufficient area for a safe turnout exists, in order to permit the vehicles following it to proceed. 21656CVC

We have similar laws which are never enforced.

I guess it's not as impressive to the judge when he gets a case for 10 under as it is for 10 over ;)

When I was working patrol, I used to love going to court on laws the judges had to look up in the book because they had never heard of them before. All of those type of laws relating to impeding are to keep traffic, and commerce moving.

Spent about half the day today cleaning up and repairing the Explorer from the day trip. Still waiting on my buddy who was playing photographer to send me some pictures to post. I reinstalled the transfer case shifters, adjusted the trans shifter cable, reinstalled the skid plates, trimmed some metal off the radius arm frame mounts and two of the slider gussets so they shouldn't hang up anymore, repaired my inoperative rock lights, and gave it a bath.

Sounds like a successful day.:chug:

It was pointed out to me that my reverse lights seemed to come on at random. I traced it to the reverse switch in my B&M shifter. There are two switches on the shifter. One for the reverse lights, the other for the safety ignition lockout (won't let the Explorer start while in any gear but Park and Neutral. The switches are the same so I ordered two. Figured I might as well replace them both while I had it apart. The switches are located on the driver side of the shifter. They would be easy to remove/replace without a center console in the way. It uses tiny little nuts and bolts to hold them in place.
Switches
20200108_163024.jpg

You will notice there is only one nut because the other one got lost.
20200108_163012.jpg

I ran a magnet around, looked as much as I could see without removing the console, I did not have a nut that tiny in my bolt drawer so I got creative. I knew it would be just as hard, if not harder to install the nuts as it was to remove them, and since I had already lost one I had to do something anyway. I got out my good set of taps, but I did not have one that small (4-4). I pulled out my POS never used HF tap and die set I purchased a few years ago because it was too cheap to pass up, and the smallest tap was the right size for the bolts.

I keep a lot more scrap metal than I should, usually anything I could make a gusset out of or reuse for something. I went through and found a little piece of 1/8" flat bar and made it into a double nut with a tab that extends out past the switch mount. I really thought the tap was going to break, but it made it through both holes.
20200108_163031.jpg

Test fit looked good, but realized it would be easier to get to the tab if it was bent up slightly.
20200108_163327.jpg

That little bend in the tab allowed me to use my needle nose vice grips to slide it in place to line up the bolts. Used a little thread locker to keep it there. Next time I need to get in there, it should be much easier. Someday when I remove the console for a different reason, maybe I will find that tiny nut.
20200108_170933.jpg

Of course, when I got it all back together, my torque converter lock up warning light isn't working. I will figure that out tomorrow. Need to take the access panel of off the side of the console to get to the wiring for that.

LEAF SPRINGS

I took the Explorer out to run some errands and stopped by North County Spring in Escondido. They have very good reviews and the shop is owned/run by a old school spring builder. The guy I was talking to immediately got the owner (Tony) out to look at the Explorer. They crawled around under it for ten minutes or so while Tony asked me questions about what I do with it and what I have done to it. Tony said I had the nicest built for off-road vehicle he has seen in a long time. He said my frankenleaf springs are shot, which I knew. He mentioned I would have to compromise for it to carry the existing load, plus a few hundred extra pounds when going on expedition runs. He also said I probably would not notice since there is no way my springs are working very well. We talked it out, got to know each other a little. He came up with 9-10 leafs, military wrap and another safety wrap over the top. Wants to keep the Explorer for 2-3 days to get it right so he can fit them to the vehicle, get the right arch and number of leafs for the ride height, set the correct pinyon angle, etc. It will have to be a little taller to fit the springs, but no more than 1" which is fine since the rear is sagging anyways. Tony also said it will be more stable and flex like crazy because the springs will work like they should. Said if I don't like it, he will make it so I love it.

I was quoted a price of $1200-1400 installed. If I ordered a set of leafs on-line it might cost a little less, but with no support, no fine tuning and no refunds. Going local seems like the way to go to get everything I want from someone guaranteeing I will be happy. Anybody see any reason to not do this?

Sounds like a good plan to me. I haven't bought springs in ages so I don't recall what I paid. Mine were custom done by Dunbar spring here in Phoenix. It's one of the oldest continuously operating businesses in the city. Been around since horse and buggy days. The guy who originally owned Fly-N-Hi owns it now.

Sounds expensive at first, but actually sounds great to me.

For them to take the time to install properly, and account for all he said, is well worth the extra money.

I have $800 into my packs. I did all the labor and if it needed changed up at all, that's more cash to spend, and more time invested.

I think I am going to go for it. I think the hardest part will be leaving the Explorer at a shop for a few nights. I haven't done that in a very long time. He promised he would park it inside the shop, which is inside a locked gate, but the thought makes me nervous.

I think the hardest part will be leaving the Explorer at a shop for a few nights. I haven't done that in a very long time. He promised he would park it inside the shop, which is inside a locked gate, but the thought makes me nervous.

I totally get that. I'm the same way.

$1400!!! Holy moley
So the good news is you will have awesome leaf springs
The bad news is that's alot of $$$ for springs
The more good news is maybe he will make us a similar set and we can buy them for cheap after your the test mule?
Its only money, I vote go for it so it will be CORRECT!! Maybe get a discount if you promote his shop? Here on EF and with a sticker?

Back