• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I am going to lean them back slightly, less than 5*. I can get the shock hoops lower, and clear the brake lines where they attach to the master cylinder.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Anybody know how difficult it would be to add a 90* fitting to the reservoir tube of FOA coilovers? I know how to add the fitting, but its the bleeding of the shocks that I don't get. I can't find information on just bleeding the shock after removing and reinstalling a reservoir.

turboexplorer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Eagle Mountain, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' XLT 5.0L 4X4
Callsign
Turbo
It's pretty easy. I did it when I revalved my Fox Shocks. I can give more in depth info when I get home if needed.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT

turboexplorer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Eagle Mountain, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' XLT 5.0L 4X4
Callsign
Turbo
On your second link he describes it pretty well. The main things you will need is what position FOA has their IFP set at in the res and also need a way to charge the shocks and the spec FOA charges them to.

An extra set of hands are super helpful. I also bought a bearing cap wrench and a soft block for the shaft and more FOX oil. Made it a bit easier.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Thanks, I will tackle that later.

Only had a few hours today, so I spent it making more frame supports (passenger side). There was a large hole in the frame (indicated by the purple rectangle) and the front coil mount is going to go where the red circle is located. I welded a small plate in the hole, then welded the big plate over that. I did actually look to see what the hole was used for, and it accessed a bolt hole for the original suspension brackets. Don't need that anymore.

After that, I made a bunch of gussets and cleaned up the work area.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Today, I jumped in with both feet and got a shock hoop mocked-up. It looks like it will clear everything, and the shocks still are leaned in towards the top.:thumbsup:
Just need to put a tire on and make sure it clears at full bump, then pull it off to weld it up and copy for the other side. Then, I will have a roller!!!!

There is a lot more room between the master cylinder and the shock than it looks in the picture.

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
Looking good. What do you have planned for a cross brace to tie the two shock mounts together over the top of the engine?

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Looking good. What do you have planned for a cross brace to tie the two shock mounts together over the top of the engine?
1-1/4" stick of DOM, welded to shackle bushings. The shackle bushings will be welded to the top of the hoops with long shock tabs. Kind of like DB1's. Not sure if I will need to put bends in the tubing or if a straight piece will work. If I need bends, it will be slight. Need to find someone local with a bender. I am also going to put some gussets of the same material behind the hoops to the top of the frame.

Looking at this pic, you can clearly see where I got the idea for my hoops....:D

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I got the passenger side hoop in today. What a pain in the rear... In order to get it to clear everything, I had to move a heater hose, and two large wiring bundles. No thanks to me, who never noticed that the AC dryer (or whatever it is) is at almost the exact same location as the master cylinder on the other side. I also had to shorten the length of the passenger side hoop about 1/2" to keep it out of the blower motor. But, the shock is in the same orientation as the other one, and that is what really matters, 5* in and 5* back.
All the hoses and wires in the pic are just thrown over the shock so I could get it in there. They need to be rerouted later.

DB_1

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
La Quinta, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SC Ranger xlt
Ahh yes, you just reminded me how fun it was stuffing shock hoops in the engine compartment:p:
As you have found out, you don't have the same amount of room on one side as you do the other. I had to do some tweaking and slight bending of the AC stuff and relocate some wiring bundles. About half of my battery tray is cut out, i also cut the windshield washer/coolant overflow combo in half so all I have is the coolant res which is now where the battery was.
The inner fenderwells are cut out pretty high the allow for more wheel stuff and keep the ride height down...this also required some creative relocating of stuff that was attatched the the fenders.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
What a battle.
I started unplugging wire bundles, so many that I know I won't remember to get them all back together until the truck won't start. The large wire bundle that is in the way, comes through the firewall under the blower motor. It wraps around and through the AC stuff, instead of just going up and over it. I can't pull it up and over without cutting all the wires because of the AC lines.
When I took the hoops off to fully weld them, I was reminded that welding metal has a tendency to pull it together, which caused both mounts to "shrink" about 1/4" in length. And the shock tabs, they pull in too. I even had a 1.5" spacer in to keep them oriented, and the passenger side still got tight. They still fit, but it was an adventure.
Tomorrow, I am going to work on the cross bar. Anybody know someone down here with a bender?? Might just cut a notch in the tubing, bend it and weld it back together. No as pretty as a bent tube, but still works.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Doesn't Norm have a bender?

Ahh the joys of fabrication. You're doing better than I did, I was making parts two and three times before I was happy with the stuff on the Dart :banghead:

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Doesn't Norm have a bender?

Ahh the joys of fabrication. You're doing better than I did, I was making parts two and three times before I was happy with the stuff on the Dart :banghead:
Norm lives a few hours away..
I just spend a few years researching and looking at other Explorerforum folk's rigs. I also have been waking up in the middle of the night with solutions to SAS issues and then have to wait until morning to see if they work. Then I only have to do it twice...:D
I think we are a lot alike when doing this type of stuff.....we want it to be perfect, which I have discovered is not possible. When centering the new axle, I must have measured it out 15 times!! Measure off the rear axle, measure off the radius arm frame mount locations, measure off the frame, measure side to side, measure the frame to the ground, measure blah blah blah, then do it all again.. I have to remind myself that I am building a trail rig, and it is not getting launched into space any time soon, so 1/8" off here and there is acceptable.

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
The bender hasn't been used since we bought it. Neither of us have had time to set it up and play with it. Work, kids and zukmam being "broken" has pretty much taken priority.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I have to remind myself that I am building a trail rig, and it is not getting launched into space any time soon, so 1/8" off here and there is acceptable.
Yeah I hear ya. I had to remind myself I was building a race car not a show car, and that I needed to get on the track rather than prolonging the build any more. Thank goodness I finished when I did since both of our tracks closed :(

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
The bender hasn't been used since we bought it. Neither of us have had time to set it up and play with it. Work, kids and zukmam being "broken" has pretty much taken priority.
Who had the bender that was used in the rollcage party?

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Who had the bender that was used in the rollcage party?
Jeffe

If I feel the need to bend this one piece, I will take it to a fab shop nearby. Should not cost too much. Same place I am having charge the shocks when its time.

I am learning a whole lot from this process. Mostly, that Ford was not very symmetrical in their car building. The frame is nearly the same side to side, but the front body mounts are located 1" different (tried to use them as a reference point). The driver side frame has a couple of bends in it right at the steering box. I am assuming it was necessary to locate the box. The passenger side fender is 1" closer to the engine than the driver side. But, the radiator support is exactly square on the body. WTH??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Burns

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pulaski, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer/2002 F-250
Jeffe

If I feel the need to bend this one piece, I will take it to a fab shop nearby. Should not cost too much. Same place I am having charge the shocks when its time.

I am learning a whole lot from this process. Mostly, that Ford was not very symmetrical in their car building. The frame is nearly the same side to side, but the front body mounts are located 1" different (tried to use them as a reference point). The driver side frame has a couple of bends in it right at the steering box. I am assuming it was necessary to locate the box. The passenger side fender is 1" closer to the engine than the driver side. But, the radiator support is exactly square on the body. WTH??
We ran into this building mine....Nothing is the same!

I am enjoying your work and hopefully I can move to a similar setup without the coils I use now. Just too stiff.

Keep up the good work.

Burns

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S let's see your steering box on gen 2 sas Offroad Projects 4
ovrlndr Jay's '92 SAS on F150's Offroad Projects 1
KurtECV The Black Pearl SAS and build Offroad Projects 362
G 2001 ex SAS project Offroad Projects 4
C Chato's '98 V8 Mountaineer SAS build Offroad Projects 4
9 2000 5.0 sas question Offroad Projects 3
F Dana 44 purchased, SAS questions! Offroad Projects 7
L SAS on tons and 40" Offroad Projects 2
SVO42 mushy brakes after SAS Offroad Projects 6
A 2005 sport trac Dana 30 sas (Version 2.0) Offroad Projects 24
madbutcher Madbutchers shitmachine sas Offroad Projects 93
1 D30 sas/soa Offroad Projects 4
F FullBlownModz Dana 44 SAS Build Offroad Projects 18
D Project "Twisted Sister" SAS Front Dana 44, Rear Ford 9" Offroad Projects 46
A Explorer SAS or not for daily driver? Offroad Projects 1
boominXplorer Superduty D50 axle for SAS? Give me your thoughts........ Offroad Projects 7
JTX JTX's Return! 1997 Mountaineer Build Thread SAS/4wd Conversion Offroad Projects 65
CodePoet 1st Gen SAS Toyota Steering Box?? Offroad Projects 3
W Woody's SAS Build Offroad Projects 4
MidnightRebel07 2003 Sport Trac - SAS, SOA started and here's a sneek peek. Offroad Projects 118
I Getting closer to my full width 3 link sas need some help Offroad Projects 5
T Ford explorer sas project Offroad Projects 5
Stic-o 2nd gen SAS steering rubbing on exhaust manifold Offroad Projects 17
A sport track dana 30 sas project Offroad Projects 97
R 2002 Sport Trac SAS rack/pinion Offroad Projects 4
jprentice94 1st gen explorer sas Offroad Projects 20
B SAS for 2002 ford ranger Offroad Projects 0
D dersch6221992 Dana 44 SAS, with a rear SOA Offroad Projects 18
T 99 Explorer 1 ton SAS Trail Machine Build Offroad Projects 10
W 99 mounty sas thread Offroad Projects 0
K SAS to do or not to do? Offroad Projects 4
blueka Pickle 2.0 - Full Width SAS/SOA 4406 swap Offroad Projects 208
D 01 Sport Trac SAS Offroad Projects 33
C 94 explorer. Need help with SAS Offroad Projects 1
Y YoungMounty's '97 Mountaineer SAS Build Thread Offroad Projects 14
N SAS with ABS? Offroad Projects 24
X xeek's full width sas Offroad Projects 74
Stang5lgt Bronco II SAS Dana 30/8.8.... Offroad Projects 7
C Rocky Mountain Ranger '92 SAS Offroad Projects 32
Stang5lgt Project Lazyboy SAS... Offroad Projects 277
M 94 Re-SAS....leafs to links Offroad Projects 7
jjaganashi Gauging interest on SAS Offroad Projects 10
jjaganashi SAS "Betsy" 1-ton Offroad Projects 90
M mjc79's sas project Offroad Projects 7
LIFTEDXPLODER96 oh ya know just another 2nd gen sas in the works Offroad Projects 34
1-MEAN-X Project Green Hornet '01 Sport SAS Offroad Projects 159
turboexplorer Turboexplorer's Full Width SAS Build Thread Offroad Projects 965
D My no-budget 91 Sport SAS Offroad Projects 37
Four0Sport Jack's SAS version 3.0 Offroad Projects 270
C SAS leaf springs front Offroad Projects 2