Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread | Page 72 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread

As some of you know, I am working on building a parts list for a shortened Dana 44, long radius arm with coil overs SAS. 5:13 gears to match my rear axle and an ARB, maybe an electric locker. I have a pretty good list so far. At the same time, I am going to swap out the rear drum brakes for discs off of a 99 Explorer.

Please note: The plan is to keep this project as simple as possible with mostly off the shelf parts. I am not a fabricator, just a decent welder with a what I would consider the minimum required tools (chop saw, cut off wheels, air tools, welder, etc.), who likes doing his own work. Your opinions are welcome, but what I really need is technical advice. I have been thinking about this for several years and now have the time and cash to make it happen. Please keep on topic with your advice and don't go off on a side track about how you would do it as a four-link, or caged arms, or leave the axle full-width because that is not what I want. I want a simple-ish set up that works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same brake fade problem on D. Based on what you said above, my brake hydraulics are pretty similar to yours as well. Completely bypassed the ABS pump by running hardline. ABS light of course is on in the cab, but the whole pump and everything is gone.

If you pull the relay, light goes out.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

thanks for your fast reply! i think ill try out my stock mc as well and see how it is. Again awesome thread!

I left my abs light on. Reminds me it doesn't work :D

Should be getting my tie rod back tomorrow. The machine shop that straightened it says you can't tell it was bent. The delay was because he did not charge me and put the paying jobs first. He says it should not bend in the same spot, unless I park it on a rock again.

I was also out of town except for two days this past few weeks. Sarah had a horse show in Burbank (thanks for the pizza Norm and Sue), and I took my mom on an old folks RV trip to Puerto Penasco, Mexico. My first time down south since they started leaving people's heads on overpasses. Think I got a new RV out of playing chauffeur, and I returned with head attached, so it was worth the trip.

Should have the Explorer back together by Thursday.

Got the steering back together. 1/8"-1/4" toe in, good to go.

Wife was complaining about no sun visors on the last trip. They were removed to properly place the cage windshield cross tube. I ordered these universal visors off eBay for $14 for both. They are supposed to attach to the existing visor.

ForumRunner_20160414_135849.jpg

ForumRunner_20160414_135912.jpg

A little trimming turned them into sun visors that won't get in my way, and seem to do the trick. No vanity mirrors though, sorry.

ForumRunner_20160414_140121.jpg

ForumRunner_20160414_140140.jpg

Need to run to the hardware store for some longer self-tapping screws to install. I can screw them through the headliner and into the roof support behind the windshield. Will post a completed pic when finished. It should also help keep the headliner in place. It's been abused and is getting old.

Straight tie rod.
Never sleeved it, if it gets bent again I will have to figure something out.

ForumRunner_20160414_162558.jpg

So what's the trick to adjusting heim steering so the heims line up? I tried wrenches at both ends, shoving metal in between the heim and mounts, they still shift at the last second. End up saying close is good enough every time I mess with them.

New sun visors installed. They should work out nicely.
ForumRunner_20160414_162625.jpg

ForumRunner_20160414_162657.jpg

The visor is a nice mod.

I guess I've been lucky with my heims, normally they line up without too much trouble.

Link to visors please. I've been thinking about these for awhile but have not seen them cheap enough to try it.

Let me give it a road test or two before you purchase. They might shake around and annoy me, which means they will have to come off.

Deal, I also need a link to your LED backup lights. I need some better backup lights on the camper. Your's are the perfect low profile.:thumbsup:

Spent several hours today changing out the AC systems compressor, drier and orifice. Took longer to get the orifice out and flush the system than anything else. Orifice was a little dirty and I had to use a curved pick to get it out of the tube:

ForumRunner_20160419_165627.png

Will get it evacuated and charged next week. Giving the AC system one more chance.

Are you converted to R134 or is it still R12?

R12 is getting pretty hard to find, all though ebay still has a ton...lol!

R134a starts going away next year I think, for r1234yf :rolleyes:

Back