Blown motor?? Let's just swap it out for a v8 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blown motor?? Let's just swap it out for a v8

:popcorn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just tuned into this thread and skimmed it over. To the original poster, it's really cool you're working to keep the old rig on the road.

I turned 30 and bought a '99 OHV after a life of never driving and commuting by bicycle. I turn 35 next month and it's still my daily and wouldn't be without this forum. I can't afford to finance anything new (the car market is insane), so I learned a new skillset to keep driving the old thing reliable. Been all over the country in it thanks to the new knowledge.

I'm nowhere near an expert on automotive work, but my experience the last five years has taught me this - research extensively before you turn a bolt, try to buy OEM parts, and take your diagnosis and work slow and steady. Have fun doing it and take breaks when you get frustrated. I did a starter yesterday and broke the wiring harness to it when I dropped it down. Went down the street to have a burger and a beer and collected my thoughts instead of losing it. Came back to the garage and did some custom wiring and we're cool now.

Good luck!

a good mechanic is a patient one!! Good show!!

Posting up for Reuben,

Suggestions for PCM tuning please.

I see that Torrie at Unleashed Tuning is mentioned in the forums quite a bit.

I was wondering how this is going?

I was wondering how this is going?
I decided to do the swap my self because the shop that was going to do it was charging me 4k for it and I just don’t have that kind of money.My job is letting me yous all there tools and the shop to do it it yesterday I pulled the trans and all the drive line out next Saturday I’m pulling the motor.I have a couple of questions Tho,are the motor mounts the same or do I need to take the v6 mounts out and weld v8 ones in, also I found a computer on eBay for a 5.0 manual trans with pats off for $250 but I’m wanting the rear o2s off because I’m not going to run cats and don’t want the cel on would it be dificulta to get it flashed for that, or should I just reflash my computer for everything I need.

Motor mounts are held in place with a nut. That is an item you buy new, just get a set for a 99 explorer 5.0. Use the explorer V8 computer and get the tuned the way you want.

Motor mounts are held in place with a nut. That is an item you buy new, just get a set for a 99 explorer 5.0. Use the explorer V8 computer and get the tuned the way you want.
Ok so the motor mounts are in the same spot just there different from v6 and v8?also would anyone know what a good place to send the computer or what website I could yous to do the tuning. And last thing how would I go about the cross member and trans mount, is there slot of fabrication involved?

Crossmember should be basic. You can probably modify the factory crossmember and just move it’s position forward or back depending where the trans mount lands.

Crossmember will remain in the same place I believe, it does with the V8 auto to manual swap. The center hump is 2 inches too high when bolted up so you would either have to cut the center down 2 inches and weld the top back on or make one out of C channel. Did you save the crossmember from the F150? If so post a picture. Also I don't remember did that truck have a 4.2L V6?

Crossmember will remain in the same place I believe, it does with the V8 auto to manual swap. The center hump is 2 inches too high when bolted up so you would either have to cut the center down 2 inches and weld the top back on or make one out of C channel. Did you save the crossmember from the F150? If so post a picture. Also I don't remember did that truck have a 4.2L V6?
Yes I saved everything from that truck and it was a 4.2 v6

Yes I saved everything from that truck and it was a 4.2 v6
Im searching everywhere and can’t seem to find a place to either send my computer to get programmed or a web site where I can tune it, I’ve seen forscan come up a lot but from what I’ve read I don’t think it can re program a computer for what I need and it said something about extended liscence I would need to do it .

there is a guy in Ocala Florida that deleted my PATS in my 1999 3.0 PCM. I'll try to find contact info if you want it..

Deleting cats is illegal. You'll have a hard time getting that done for you, as now there are 2 people breaking laws.

Keep front cats, and upstream O2 sensors .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

He goes by PontiSteve... He is a very experienced tuner of Ford and GM PCMs and the old ECMs.

Back