Brightest Non HID Headlights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brightest Non HID Headlights

spencer785

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 EB 4x4 V6
Hi there just wondering whats brightest non hid headlight out there. Is there anything comparable to HID. Just because I have hid now in headlights and fogs but im sick of getting bulb out messages and people flashing me all the time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TRY: autolumination.com, GOOD PRICES, FAST SHIPPING, SELECTION.
H13-(9008) HEADLIGHT, H10-(9145) FOGLIGHT

The brightest I have found is Nokya. I am using the 5000k Nokya Arctic White H13 in the headlights, along with Nokya hyper yellow 2500K H10 in the fogs. Many they are bright! I live in the country and never use the high beams, no need for them.

nokya_arctic_white_1.jpg
arctic_yellow_h7.jpg

I'll tell you one to avoid too, SILVERSTAR. They are just dyed glass normal bulbs for twice the cost. No brighter, just prettier. Had them in my truck and wound up giving them away. Still have the so called "ultra" Silverstar in the wife's Taurus, and they are dim, only slightly brighter than stock bulbs.

http://www.nokyausa.com/index.html

okay and for the nokya do they last a while and you would say they a decent amount brighter than stock. And do they just plug in like stock and are they any danger to the stock wiring. Thanks

They plug in just like stock and no danger whatsoever as they are the same wattage as stock. So far as longevity, i dunno, only had them for 9 months.

i might look at gettin some of those for mine

Silverstar's are fine, I can't say I agree with the price.. but they are good. I don't believe it's so much about more light output.. as I didn't notice too much of a difference between the stock bulb .. but with a stock bulb in one light, and a Silverstar in the other.. I noticed the light is whiter and a little easier on the eyes.. and even if you look at the truck.. the light doesn't look so yellow.

Keep in mind, the bulbs posted that are blue and yellow... typically aren't street legal. "off-road use only" Try to find the fix for the bulb out.. I'm sure there is one.. and re-aim your HID's... I've used hid's in stock housings and aftermarket... it's all about the aim of the light that determines how much you get flashed.

how would you recommend aiming my hids. I have heard its easy but just im afraid im going to mess up the headlights aim completely. I thought the hids would be fine with stock aimed why are they not.

They work differently than the normal bulbs in that lense. Different dimensions n whatnot.. google "how to aim headlights" or pay a shop some change n see if they'll do it..

The brightest I have found is Nokya. I am using the 5000k Nokya Arctic White H13 in the headlights, along with Nokya hyper yellow 2500K H10 in the fogs. Many they are bright! I live in the country and never use the high beams, no need for them.

http://www.nokyausa.com/index.html

Did you upgrade the wiring harness? Any concerns about burning through your stock harness?

I should add that I saw your following post and it appears you didnt replace the wiring harness. Can you tell me if you are running the stage 1 or stage 2 lights? Stage 1 is 50-60w and stage 2 is 80-100w.

did you upgrade the wiring harness? Any concerns about burning through your stock harness?

I should add that i saw your following post and it appears you didnt replace the wiring harness. Can you tell me if you are running the stage 1 or stage 2 lights? Stage 1 is 50-60w and stage 2 is 80-100w.

stock headlight bulbs should be 55-65w, i have run 80-100w bulbs in other ford/mercurys with no problems, just dont hold your flash to pass on for extended periods, the combination of low and high is 180w you will blow your fusable link, or melt something! Watch the dk blue bulbs you lose night quality, i am still running stock headlight bulbs now, but will be changing soon, also i am running diamond yellow all weather bulbs 45w (stock watt) in the foglights they are more gold/with a rainbow affect around the edges, (not just plain yellow), very nice at night and in foul weather. They also make a diamond blue thats not as dark and sad to be better at night, and might be nice for the headlights. Oh ya these are from autolumination.com. Check them out

Keep in mind, the bulbs posted that are blue and yellow... typically aren't street legal. "off-road use only" Try to find the fix for the bulb out.. I'm sure there is one.. and re-aim your HID's... I've used hid's in stock housings and aftermarket... it's all about the aim of the light that determines how much you get flashed.

They are not illegal. Yellow is perfectly legal, all front lights may be white or yellow (amber) per DOT laws. (I do NC state inspections) And the blue color of the headlight bulb is only within the lens, outwards light is white.

They are not illegal. Yellow is perfectly legal, all front lights may be white or yellow (amber) per DOT laws. (I do NC state inspections) And the blue color of the headlight bulb is only within the lens, outwards light is white.

Could you post a wall shot by any chance?

I'm wondering just how these can be blue within the lens, yet white outwards. It is physically impossible to get a 5000k light out of an incandescent filament; so it must be simulated with a tint.

oldthreadry5.jpg

Okay, I want to replace my bulbs. Not doing HID's, but more interested in the Nokya's, or I guess the Philips X-treme Power bulbs.

Would also be replacing the fogs as well, may go yellow with those but not decided yet.

For the Nokya's, are we looking at the Cosmic White stage 2 at 80w, or Arctic White Stage II and will I need a harness, or should I be ok if I don't lay on the flash to pass, which I never use anyway?

HERE are the Philips X-treme bulbs which are getting raves on the web...

Thoughts? Any new recommendations since this thread?

Oh my, this isn't even the right sub-forum. You'll get more responses in the Performance Lighting section.

Sylvania rates the stock 9007 halogen bulb at 55W/65W (Low/High). I would not exceed that wattage on the stock harness because they scrimped as much as possible when it came to wire gauges.

Both of those bulbs look terrible in my opinion. Mainly because they have heavily colored coatings on the glass. That's like putting sunglasses on when you drive at night. Any non-clear coating robs the bulb of the light it is emitting and wastes it off as heat. It may be rated at 80W but it's probably only putting out near the 65W bulb's luminosity.

In all honesty you'll spend around $50 for a pair of off the shelf quality bulbs. A full off the shelf HID setup with projectors, bulbs, ballasts, and harness runs about $300. I know you said you weren't looking for them but I just thought I'd point that out.

Sadly, if you compare the lumen ratings of the coated "high end" bulbs with the regular ones the "high end" bulbs put out the same light. They just have a different color and shorter lifespan. The Phillips brand you showed are the only "high end" ones I would consider but they don't list any specs so there's no way to evaluate them.

Technically by DOT standards you are not to have anything higher than 55W for street use around traffic... Can your housings handle 80w?

Also, even without projectors... the HID kit itself will outlast an expensive set of halogens by far. The hotter you run halogens the quicker they will go out.

Not going HID, don't care for the way they look, but that's just personal preference. I just resurrected the thread, I know it was in the 2006+ forum, but it had the most up to date bulb info that would cross-reference. If one of the mods wants to move it, that would be ok, it's an old thread...

I'm edging towards the Sylvania, Don't really know anyone running the other ones, just figured I'd ask before buying some. I don't know if the housings will handle 80w, no idea what will work in the GII, but I don't want to push it...

You know not all HID's are blue right? For whatever reason my 5000K from VVME had the same yellow/white tone as a halogen, it was just brighter, with half the power consumption.

The G2 stock housings suck...... I think before you even start throwing money at better bulbs, HID or not... upgrade your housings...

And I'm damn sure any G2 owner would agree on that one..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not worried about the light, I don't really dig the way they look in the housings when they're not on- it looks out of place to me on a gen II. I love them on new cars, but on older cars like the Ex, they just strike me as out of place I guess, but I'm weird like that... :D

If I upgrade the housings- to what? The crystal ones, etc? I'm probably going to order some new heads and corners anyway... Would do crystals or stock looking replacements...

Back