Front Suspension: Long Arms from While Horse 4x4
Rear Suspension: Stock Spring, soa, 3" Block
Front Axle: Dana 44, 4.88 gears, Open
Rear Axle: Ford 9", 4.88 gears, Open
Driveshafts: Front: Stock, Rear: Extended 3"
Communications: None other than cell phone
Recovery Equipment: Atlas Winch
Tires/Wheels: 37" Nitto Mud Grapplers. Custom Rims
Exterior: 1970's dodge charger green, Custom front bumper, clear corners, and a few dents
Interior: Ranger front seats, stock rear seats, no carpet, no headliner
Audio: 4 Visonik 12" subs, Hifonics BXI1206D amp, Power Acoustik 5x7's. Clarion head unit
Future Mods: Install new rear bumper, Install Manual 1354 transfer case, sliders, lockers, install cb, and more money wasting things

Stage One: 31's

30743stock2.jpg

30743stock1.jpg

Stage Two: 33's, Superlift 5.5" lift, Warn manual hubs, 5 speed conversion, winch bumper w/ Atlas winch

30743explorer-and-bronco.jpg

30743caves.jpg

30743muddy.jpg

30743front-new-bump.jpg

The Accident and Rebuild:

crunch4.jpg

back.jpg

Stage Three: 36's Tsl Radials, D44/9", 4.88 gears, open f/r, extended ra's.

sas.jpg

final2.jpg

almost-done.jpg

flex2.jpg

burns-water-5.jpg

100_2643.jpg

BurnsCars.jpg

100_2588.jpg

The Paint

Explorer-getting-ready-for-.jpg

Explorer-painted-sublime-gr.jpg

explorer-painted-sublime.jpg

RearHatch.jpg

Explorer-6.jpg

Explorer-21.jpg

Explorer5.jpg

UPDATE 03-27-08

Explorer has not really changes much lately. Got a Lime Green diff cover thanks to JTsmith and thats it.

Explorer-4-032708.jpg

Explorer-3-032708.jpg

Explorer-2-032708.jpg

Explorer-032708.jpg

Natural-E-Brake.jpg

Explorer-on-trails.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well the explorer has a new home to stay in at night now. Thanks to the new shop clearing out the house garage.

new-home.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

must be a tight squeeze on the top of the door frame,,

I have been busy for once. Here is the progress.

I have the tube doors on but need to finish the part that keeps them shut...lol That part will be shown later. Should be easy.

Also picture is the new seats that I put in before uwharrie

Tube-Door-Teaser-Two.jpg

Tube-Door-Teaser.jpg

Here is the explorers new friend because I do not drive it much anymore.

Explorers-new-friend.jpg

Update. Man Im actually working on the explorer. Im kinda proud of myself on that one lol

I got all the tube doors on but need to finish the rear two up. They do not sit level with the stock mounts so ill need to make a sheem for the back to make that right and the get the latches done. Also got the drivers side painted black and just need to get that side with the door seals and interior plastic back in.

Also I have only one window at the moment. I am planning making removable windows when time allows.

EF-No-Doors-2.jpg

EF-No-Doors.jpg

Ef-no-doors-3.jpg

Thanks Jon I might have it finished in a few weeks lol

How much material did you order for your windows

Got some work done today

Here is todays work. This is the most action the explorer has had in a long time.

Step 1:
Explorerwithonlylights.jpg

Step 2:
Explorernolights.jpg

Step 3:
Explorernorightfend.jpg

Step 4:
Explorernoleftfend.jpg

Step 5:
Rad2.jpg

Rad1.jpg

This was all done to pull the rad out. During the 2010 run at Uwharrie National Forest the explorer sprang a little leak after pulling up on a big boulder.

ure025.jpg

So the idea is to pull everything to make it easier to trace why my temp gauge is not working. Pulling the fenders was easy and will go back on easy. I was also thinking that the core support was bent but turns out it was not. The busted radiator came from when I had the accident in 2006 which almost totaled the explorer. It had to have pushed the fan clutch into the radiator at that time and I cracked it doing what was shown above. So now its getting replaced and then working out the other issued.

"Hey man... uhh.. hey man is your truck always leaking water like that!?!" - Random Jeep Guy

..."OH CRAP!"

:p: hahah, Did you ever get any further on those plastic/plexi windows?

Looking back on it now I can say it was funny....but then I was thinking well how is that coming out of there. My weekend is over. Thank goodness for the outpost having all the needed items a man would want.

I put the solid glass windows back in and am going to keep them. Im working on a plastic/clear vinyl window/door treatment for all 4 doors so i can keep the tube doors on all year long. I have not drove the explorer because of the cold as you can imagine.

More Work More Work More Work

Well Im still trying to fix the lime from the last break. Destroyed the drive shaft going down then highway (about 70mph)

Here is the damage:

BrokenDriveShaft2.jpg

A little closer:

BrokenDriveShaft.jpg

So I will be needing 1/2 of a drive shaft out of a 1st gen....:) anyone got one?

This little problem allowed me to find another problem. On the hwy I pulled the rear driveshaft and drove it home in 4wd running as a fwd explorer. Hey its a 2011.....lol.... but really found that after I got home that there was not a little drop of oil in the front diff.....AWESOME HUH

FrontView.jpg
[/IMG]

So that has been cleaned up. Did a little number but nothing that will be noticed. Just had a hair shaved off the gearing. However the play still feels good. It was caused by a broken bolt that happened way back when at smorr. It had started leaking at some time and I never noticed it.

I have also got the wiring cleaned up in the front end. Now it will start without a wrench or a screwdriver being passed out the window.

When's this thing making a trip out to truckhaven? There should be a run coming up in the fall...

Im getting married in June so that will damper any Truckhaven run for a bit. Have no fear it will make it out there...just might be a few more years lol

I was about to get back from Memphis for a few days and worked on the Lime just a little bit. The battery had died (Duralast Gold 4 post "2nd one") and found a crack in the AC section. It was a fresh crack because there was no dirt or dust on it. I took it out and flexed it a little and it must have been the last bit of pressure it needed. No big deal it was all coming out anyways.

The A/C Dryer:
AC-Dryer.jpg

Overall the rig is in good shape. I keep it at my parents garage now and they start it and move it around every now and then. Its been a year since it has moved.

I need to ask you guys what you think.

I want to remove all of my A/C components an make my system only have heat but is that really a good choice? I have tube doors for the summer and working on getting the front of the cab closed off with vinyl for the winter wheeling. This is what I want to work on soon.

I have got to get back to working on the explorer. I miss tinkering on it and did not get to for 2 years while I was in Memphis for school. Also I have my father searching our a set of D60's. Its time to rework the suspension. The plan is to keep the v6, M50d, and t-case but move up to D60's and around a 42ish. This also will require a cage but I need to search out someone locally to build it. I just do not want to put my work at the expense of safety.

So what do you think about the A/C removal?

Cant wait to see progress on this. This was the inspiration for mine

It's not working and has not for some time. The dryer so cracked (see above) and the compressor was leaking before I removed the doors. I really do not want to keep a non functional system.

Back