Can you fit Strobes in the REAR taillights of an 04 Expo? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can you fit Strobes in the REAR taillights of an 04 Expo?

Well? Can they fit in the rear taillight? The county is leasing my truck and we're using it for the County's ERV. So I'm redoing everything. I'm ordering strobes for the front/rear. blue/red to go on the brushguard and some microlights to go on the rear. I don't want a lightbar as that's way overkill, plus I drive this thing everyday for my real job etc. I just want something outta the way and "hidden" when not in use.
Strobes:
http://www.fireoutfitters.com/products/lighting/kits/fso90watt.htm

Grill Lights:
http://www.fireoutfitters.com/products/lighting/remote/svpgrillestrobe.htm (red/blue)

Lights for the rear:
http://www.fireoutfitters.com/products/lighting/remote/tir3_single.htm

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I passed one with strobes in the taillights just today actually. They were like superbright LEDs like on an ambulance and in the rear view lights. Pretty common down here actually. The Expys and Expos are real popular down here and there's tons in civil service type jobs.

If it gets dark enough, I will post pics/videos of my truck with my lights installed. Just hard to tell during the day when its cloudy outside.

If anyone wants to host, I have a video of strobes in front / rear of my 97 Eddie Bauer. Plenty of room in there, wouldn't doubt for a second there's no room in a '04. Explorers are used in many public and private emergency uses.

PM sent

Thanks Captain! Not for the 56k guys, on a t3 here it takes about 2 min to download! :)

HOLY CRAP WAS THAT A LOT OF WORK. Man.....I had 6 hours in:
Installing the power supply (90 Watt)
Strobes in the headlights
Strobes in the taillights
Red NOVA Strobe and Blue NOVA Strobe on the brushguard
Wiring it all in, running the cables, (which is a ***** to go from the rear to the front) and setting the powers.
I mounted the power supply in the center console. Everything is tucked away and you can't seen anything. Sucks, but there is nowhere else to put it. Under the seats is too narrow, but it's brighter the hell.

You could have put the power supply in the rear jack area, as well as next to the sub box inside the passenger rear quarter interior trim. :)

97 Eddie Bauer v8 said:
You could have put the power supply in the rear jack area, as well as next to the sub box inside the passenger rear quarter interior trim. :)
Where the hell were you yesterday when I was doing the install? :p

i want to get some flashers to put in my headlights. just for show, but am i going to get in trouble for having them installed but not using them on road. or can you tell that there installed at all under normal situations?

You cant see these lights under normal condotions, and yes you will get in lots of trouble if you use these on any public road.

Noved87 said:
i want to get some flashers to put in my headlights. just for show, but am i going to get in trouble for having them installed but not using them on road. or can you tell that there installed at all under normal situations?
Yes, large amounts of trouble. The PD can/will sieze your vehicle and fine the sh*t out of you. Not a goooood idea.

Check your local laws. Here they'll just give you a small fine. They might also take the equipment for evidence. This is of course unless you trying to pull someone over, then that's impersonating a public official, police officer.

I want to put wig-wags in my Explorer, but how would that react to the Eddie Bauer's "Headlamps OK if on" indicator in the information console?

woah woah woah...
you can put what ever u want in your car/truck in terms of lights as long as you do not use them or try to impersonate an emergency vehicle/police officer.
i know alot of show trucks/cars that have flashers/strobes and the police cannot arrest you for *having* them.
as a voli member of EMS/FIRE (and ex-mp) I have flashers and will be installing a PA/Siren soon even though it is illegal to use a siren inless you are an officer (depending on local laws) PPL still have them as you can use the horn part to warn ppl you are coming, plus on private property as long as you do not try to impersonate police or are not around police you can use the siren. but anywho you are asking about lights...
check into the laws, talk to your local po-po (they usually tell you you can't have *anything* but its BS), and be very careful in how u use them. i was sitting outside a party here at school and one of my drunk friends turned on my flashers and the cops nearly wrote me up but on the other hand i had a part at my house once and wanted to kick ppl out so i turned them on and ppl started jetting. ok well i'm rambling, noved87 give me a PM if you want more info, as well talk to Ben(Blee1099) about lights, his job is installing them on police vehicles.

Tilt168 said:
woah woah woah...
you can put what ever u want in your car/truck in terms of lights as long as you do not use them or try to impersonate an emergency vehicle/police officer.
i know alot of show trucks/cars that have flashers/strobes and the police cannot arrest you for *having* them.
as a voli member of EMS/FIRE (and ex-mp) I have flashers and will be installing a PA/Siren soon even though it is illegal to use a siren inless you are an officer (depending on local laws) PPL still have them as you can use the horn part to warn ppl you are coming, plus on private property as long as you do not try to impersonate police or are not around police you can use the siren. but anywho you are asking about lights...
check into the laws, talk to your local po-po (they usually tell you you can't have *anything* but its BS), and be very careful in how u use them. i was sitting outside a party here at school and one of my drunk friends turned on my flashers and the cops nearly wrote me up but on the other hand i had a part at my house once and wanted to kick ppl out so i turned them on and ppl started jetting. ok well i'm rambling, noved87 give me a PM if you want more info, as well talk to Ben(Blee1099) about lights, his job is installing them on police vehicles.

It depends on state law. Laws are different from state to state. I cannot vouch where you are from, but I doubt you can slap on a lightbar with one side red and one side blue and drive around, even disconnected (no way of turning it on) without at least attracting attention.

Don't give legal advice to someone from another state unless you are an esquire registered with a bar service.

STATE LAWS VARY.

Ok I will clear it up for everyone. If you are doing this just for show, yes you can have lights. But here is where it gets tricky. In every state you can not have blue/red/green lights that are visible from the outside no matter what, even if they arent on. The only way you can have those color lights on a vehicle is if you CAN NOT see the color from the outside, and can only see it when they are turned on. And in that case you can only turn them on when you are on privte property. (Ex. blue or red strobes inside your head lights or tails). The only color that is legal in most states to have visible (lightbar, grill) is amber. Because that is a caution color. Like stated by a few people, look into your individual state laws to make sure.

30158.jpg

30159.jpg

Strobes in the front/rear, grill lights and Whelen Tier 3's on the rear hitch.

nice lookin explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is nice. Very clean looking, but why does the grill gaurd look like it doesn't belong on that truck? The headlight part looks like it angles up, like it's for an Aztek or something.

Back