Can you fit Strobes in the REAR taillights of an 04 Expo? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can you fit Strobes in the REAR taillights of an 04 Expo?

Well? Can they fit in the rear taillight? The county is leasing my truck and we're using it for the County's ERV. So I'm redoing everything. I'm ordering strobes for the front/rear. blue/red to go on the brushguard and some microlights to go on the rear. I don't want a lightbar as that's way overkill, plus I drive this thing everyday for my real job etc. I just want something outta the way and "hidden" when not in use.
Strobes:
http://www.fireoutfitters.com/products/lighting/kits/fso90watt.htm

Grill Lights:
http://www.fireoutfitters.com/products/lighting/remote/svpgrillestrobe.htm (red/blue)

Lights for the rear:
http://www.fireoutfitters.com/products/lighting/remote/tir3_single.htm

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

97 Eddie Bauer v8 said:
It depends on state law. Laws are different from state to state. I cannot vouch where you are from, but I doubt you can slap on a lightbar with one side red and one side blue and drive around, even disconnected (no way of turning it on) without at least attracting attention.

Don't give legal advice to someone from another state unless you are an esquire registered with a bar service.

STATE LAWS VARY.

i never mentioned light bars just internal flashers and in reality you can have a light bar with any colors you want as long as you don't use it. i totally agree with lookin up the local laws as i even mentioned it. i'll get some pics of my lights up when i can figure out how to host them, plus some of my friends with light bars (personally i hate how lightbars look on povs)
oh and esquire is an honorary title, you wouldn't use it in that sense, just letting ya know!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good so what all did you get installed?

97 Eddie Bauer v8 said:
That is nice. Very clean looking, but why does the grill gaurd look like it doesn't belong on that truck? The headlight part looks like it angles up, like it's for an Aztek or something.
It's for the Explorer. It's a Manik guard. Maybe it's the pic... does this older one look better?
29061.jpg

Blee1099 said:
Looks good so what all did you get installed?
I got it all installed. It took me about 8 hours, including the Sony CD Player (Damn Fedex screwed up my XM Radio Shipment and still waiting :fire: ) and everything that doesn't have plugs is sodered. No twistlocks or crimp connections. Heat shrinking is done and everything that's no in the engine compartment is ran in conduit.
I've got a 90 Watt Whelen Power Supply driving the strobes in the Headlights, Taillights and the Grill Lights.
The Grill Lights are NOVA Linear Microthins
The Trailer Hitch has 2 Whelen Tier 3's, one red one blue. They alternate and quad strobe.
Total Price including 4 -30' Cables and 2' 20' Cables was $400. I was 1' Short on the cable from the Left Rear. Damn I was pissed. I had to soder a longer cable on.

nice setup makes me think about buying blue lenses for my X. I must have one of the most illegal X's out there lol green lights in my diamond clears, red lights on the grill, 200watt siren,2 strobes in each tail, wig wag headlights, and in the rear deck i have to alternating red lights(rear hatch window)
explorer319.jpg

thewishkah said:
nice setup makes me think about buying blue lenses for my X. I must have one of the most illegal X's out there lol green lights in my diamond clears, red lights on the grill, 200watt siren,2 strobes in each tail, wig wag headlights, and in the rear deck i have to alternating red lights(rear hatch window)
explorer319.jpg
Mine's 100% Legal.

CaptainObvious said:
I got it all installed. It took me about 8 hours, including the Sony CD Player (Damn Fedex screwed up my XM Radio Shipment and still waiting :fire: ) and everything that doesn't have plugs is sodered. No twistlocks or crimp connections. Heat shrinking is done and everything that's no in the engine compartment is ran in conduit.
I've got a 90 Watt Whelen Power Supply driving the strobes in the Headlights, Taillights and the Grill Lights.
The Grill Lights are NOVA Linear Microthins
The Trailer Hitch has 2 Whelen Tier 3's, one red one blue. They alternate and quad strobe.
Total Price including 4 -30' Cables and 2' 20' Cables was $400. I was 1' Short on the cable from the Left Rear. Damn I was pissed. I had to soder a longer cable on.

LOL.. thats why I have a spool of 3 wire strobe cable and AMP connectors.

whackers.

why yes, yes we are, thank you!

Captain: Love the lights on the hitch, how'd you run the wiring? i'm def gonna copy that...wig wag rears, dash light, grill-guard mounted LED's, and hitch LEDs...hm i might need strobes or wigwag fronts....
that plus my pa/siren hooty-hoo!

Tilt168 said:
why yes, yes we are, thank you!

Captain: Love the lights on the hitch, how'd you run the wiring? i'm def gonna copy that...wig wag rears, dash light, grill-guard mounted LED's, and hitch LEDs...hm i might need strobes or wigwag fronts....
that plus my pa/siren hooty-hoo!
Drilled a 1/2 hole where the wires come out behind the light in both sides, then sodered the lights together (after selecting the pattern I wanted) and tucked it up all inside the hitch, and had 2 wires coming out the back for the supply lines and had a grommet for that.

Back