CHIEF Is Almost a 302!!!!!! 91 XLT SAS In the process of 302 and T-5 Swap!! | Page 27 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CHIEF Is Almost a 302!!!!!! 91 XLT SAS In the process of 302 and T-5 Swap!!

Hello Everyone!
It's Chief here, Aka: Tim. I started with this pitifull excuse of a motor called a V6 and even more of a dissapointment This POS A4LD tranny! This will all be a nightmare that ended real soon:D

last shot of v6.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well my donor truck has the 302 paired to a 5 speed out of a '91 f150 that had the 302 V8. As it is 2wd and I need it for 4wd, is it possible to still use this transmission or would a stock 5 speed that was paired to a 4.0L V6 from a '93 Explorer work? Could you just use a different bellhousing than that on the stock 5 speed?

No the m5od from the 4.0 will not work.

The next best option is the m5od from a 97-03 v6 f150. This bolt pattern on the 4.2 v6 is the same as a 302.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

No the m5od from the 4.0 will not work.

The next best option is the m5od from a 97-03 v6 f150. This bolt pattern on the 4.2 v6 is the same as a 302.

Would the m5od from the 97-03 v6 f150 be able to stand the power from the 302?

Would the m5od from the 97-03 v6 f150 be able to stand the power from the 302?

So I've read. I haven't personally used that particular combination. I know it puts the shifter in the same hole as a manual transmission explorer or ranger.

I'm not an expert, but I have spent some time reading this forum for the last 4 years and have read the information I have passed on to you. Good luck.

I would probably just sell that Tranny and get a 4wd tranny and transfer case of your choice and stick it in there... Modifying a shifter is easy and you'll most likely have to have both driveshafts lengthened/shortened anyway, which is not that big of a deal.... Then your good to go...

A lot of the little things are going to be easy for you.. Like make sure to get the pedal assembly and plastics around the steering column for your 5 speed swap out of the donor vehicle... Shifter and
boot as well

A lot of the little things are going to be easy for you.. Like make sure to get the pedal assembly and plastics around the steering column for your 5 speed swap out of the donor vehicle... Shifter and
boot as well

Okay, needing help. I solved most of my transmission and transfer case problems but now I am worried about the wiring prediciment. I decided on a M5r2 transmission that was bolted up to a 4.2L V6 from a '97 Ford F150 and a Borg Warner 4406 transfer case which will allow me to use my push buttons for the 4H and 4L. My problem is will I need a new wiring harness for this transmission since it is not a T5? I've read that the M5r2 will match up to the 302 so I'm not worried here, just worried about how it'll all match up and work with the wiring. Any help would be appreciated immensely.

That is a brilliant post!
Let us know how you go . . . and what you end up putting in!

Whoops - sorry.
This ended up in the wrong thread.

Work computers . . .

Ummm, I'm not familiar with that set up. Maybe Brett can chime in here about that. I would imagine the wiring/plug on the t-case is going to be different. So, I would think that the plug end would have to be changed and the pin outs made correct on it to make it work.... Shouldn't be to big of a deal, but again, you should definitely do some homework on that... Anyone else here familiar with that t-case set up?

Im wondering what the differences might be on that tcase as far as engagement and disengagement of the 4x4... There is a motor in the back of the explorer...I wonder if it is the same in the other truck. Do you already know what year make and model your going to get it out of?

I'm getting both out of a '97 Ford F150. Supposedly from what I've read the transmission will hold the power and torque of the 5.0l and it will bolt straight up without any modifications. The transfer case is the same they used with the M5r2 and is just a bigger tcase than the Borg Warner 1354 Which is the stock Explorer tcase. The tcase will hook straight up to the same wiring for the stock tcase so I'm good at that part but as far as the transmission wiring goes, that is my problem. You think Brett would have better knowledge with this and might have an answer, or better yet, a solution?

Yes, probably... I sent him a p.m. to try and get him in on this. So is the M5r2 electronic? a T-5 isn't. All there is electronic for it is a neutral safety switch and a reverse light. If the M5r2 is somehow electronic then it will need a computer to run it. I don't know anything about that trans... If its just a 5 speed manual trans it shouldn't have anything else I don't believe. wiring shouldn't be a problem.

what do you mean by if the M5r2 is electronic? Like if it is an automatic? I looked it up and it says it is just manual. It does not say anything about it being electronic. And I sent Brett an email asking about the wiring and all.

The only wiring that should be involved with the tranny itself is a nuetral safety switch and a reverse light sender... An automatic has both, well it has a "park" sensor instead of a neutral start switch... So the wiring circuits are there... The only thing a little different may be the plug ends themselves... Brett can fix that up for you if he does your harness... Everything will just plug and play

Okay sweet. Well when I get it in I'll have to tell you about how it is and everything. Thanks Chief for all of the help. May need some more help but for now that's all I needed. Thank you and safe trail riding.

No Problem and good luck. Need any more advice, just ask!

Talked with RealBuesch27 over email. Sounds like he is sticking with the carb setup on the ranger parts truck. Wiring would be simple, and probably mostly done since donor truck has already been converted.

Brett

ahhh.... yep sounds like it. How have you been ?? Are you still doing some wiring?

ahhh.... yep sounds like it. How have you been ?? Are you still doing some wiring?

Yep, will do it on the side for folks. Although with so many aftermarket setups out these days, these are what the muscle car and street rod guys go with. Not the OEM stuff.

I'm gathering all the pieces together to rebuild my sport. Going 5.0L / M5OD-R2/1356M. So was interested that someone else was considering the same.

Back