Cost of cutting axle down..... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cost of cutting axle down.....

I thought I would start a thread so everyone can get an idea of what cutting an axle down will cost the average man.

Heres mine:
79 F-150 Dana 44 reverse rotation and high pinion.
Dana 44 cost $75
Cutting housing down 6" $399
Cutting axle shafts to match axle $125
Shipping $70

Total cost $669

If you need a hook up with these prices e-mail me and I'll give you the info. By the way my guy is located in Chicago.

Derricks mail

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is this the same guy on EBAY?

cut it down your self click here
its alot easier than you think and will save you time and money :eek:

75.00 for axle
05.99 cutting disc for grinder to cut it
05.00 to have welded back up
50.00 or around that to cut shaft down from here Dead Link Removed

135.99 total or less than 200 depends on how much you pay for your axle :D

Hey Alx you *******! Ya finally crossed over.... It's Pete.... 94 limited that tried to yank bogger out incase ya weren't sure, but a side comment on cutting down axles.... what if I dont wanna cut it down... is it simple to run full width with R/A and coils? Riff said ya may know somethin on this
Pete

not a problem i have fullsize axles in my B-II its just as easy as cut down size ,you just need a 76 or older axle to do it the easy way :D

So basically it's a matter of mounting the axle in the R/A mounts... as well as getting the coils situated right... Oh, do the coils sit on top of the R/A mount on the axle? This is a late summer to winter project on my 91 sploder
Thanks
Pete

hey pete email me AND ill tell you more on it ive gotta run right now but ill email you later with all the goods on it :D frdlvr@charter.net

any one else just ask and ill let you know ill post more on this later

Alx

On my buddies XJ he cut it down on the passenger side so the shaft that now fits is a universal shaft from a 75 and older Bronco, Seems a lot cheaper to try to take that route.

I said it was for the average man. Alot of people don't know how to weld or don't trust themselves enough to tackle a project that big. I know how to weld but I'm not about to ruin a perfect axle cause of a slip up.

Daemon, yes he sells some stuff on e-bay too. I was introduced to him by a friend. Probably same guy.

my dana 44 RR $125 complete - minus one locking hub
cutting 6" from the passenger side $125
Having a better axle than most of my EB buddies and only paying $250 vs $400-$600 they paid....

PRICELESS!

(yea it was cheesy, I know)

oh and i forgot USED early bronco passenger shaft $50 and that includes a spare outer shaft : )

Back