Dana 50 TTB ??

Bruces expo

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Middle GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Mazda Navajo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yuppers, it be real. And just to blow your mind they ran leaf springs on those axles.

It's real and exactly the strength you would guess. A little stronger than the 44 and not quite as strong as the 60. Some of the 80s F trucks got those instead of the straight axle.

Ring gear is 9.0".
30 Spline Axle shafts.
Pinion shaft diameter: 1.375"
Pinion shaft splines: 26
Axle shaft diameter: 1.21"
Axle spline diameter: 1.31"

Awesome , Doing my Research on Sas and Different Suspension setups and Products , I'd like to do a Leaf sprung Sas but still unsure about the steering , I Only Want 6"-8" of Susp Lift , So I Will be loosing at least 1.5" or More of body lift if i go That Much lift

It's real and exactly the strength you would guess. A little stronger than the 44 and not quite as strong as the 60. Some of the 80s F trucks got those instead of the straight axle.

Ring gear is 9.0".
30 Spline Axle shafts.
Pinion shaft diameter: 1.375"
Pinion shaft splines: 26
Axle shaft diameter: 1.21"
Axle spline diameter: 1.31"

They used the D50 in the F250HD's all the way up to early 1998 then they went back to solid axle in the Super duty's. From 1980 to 1997/98 all the F250's ran a TTB axle, either a D44HD in the standard duty or the D50 in the 8,800GVW. FYI, an F350 D60 is a bolt in modification and only takes a couple hours to do. I swapped in the F350 leaf's and all when I did mine to get a couple extra inches of lift. Also a lot of the D50 parts are interchangable with a solid D60, knuckles out are the same including brakes

Also, with a little work you can run D50 gears in a HP44 for a little extra strength. Search "Jana 54"

We did the swap to solid d60 a few times but the cool part was putting the d55 in a full size bronco with a dully rear and fenders and a front clip from a f700 wish I had pics it was so stupid but it looked cool

Also a lot of the D50 parts are interchangable with a solid D60, knuckles out are the same including brakes

Just the spindles out are interchangeable (knuckles and axle shafts are different).

Also, the D44HD was discontinued after '91, all F-250s '92-'97 got the 50.

Just the spindles out are interchangeable (knuckles and axle shafts are different).

Also, the D44HD was discontinued after '91, all F-250s '92-'97 got the 50.

Yes, I worded it wrong but knuckles themselves are different but spindles out are the same. They did still put the light duty front ends in the F250's up until 97, they were a D50 but the housings were weaker, they had 2 different versions of the D50 once they lost the D44HD. If they came factory with a big block, diesel or plow prep pkg it would have the HD housing which was thicker wall. The light duty housing's would crack almost every time you use it with an 8 or 9 foot plow blade. I have had to weld and gusset or replace at least a dozen of these with the HD housing

The first one we swaped out to a d60 was in a 97 f-350 with a 351w then we did a 460 truck it was older and then we did another 97 diesel. The ttb didn't seem to work very well with the leaf springs at least not the way ttb should.

Back