Dana 60 being installed under my 91 | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dana 60 being installed under my 91

Progress has finally begun.
The Dana 60 is completed and ready for installation.

Here is the scoop.

I had a local shop put together a reverse cut Dana 60 with 5:13 Gears and an ARB. I am sticking with the ARB because I like it and my TTB had an ARB in it, so all the plumbing is there. The 60 has a center section from a 80s F-350. The Tubes are from something he had around the shop. The Axels are 35spline and cut to fit my application. I put in my order about 6 months ago. Due to him being a friend and letting him get parts as they became available, it took some time. I was not in any rush as I appreciate the work and cost involved if I were to have purchased it elsewhere.
Anyway, the axel is in and I almost completed the teardown. Let me say this. Half of the brackets and components under the front of my EX were either brocken or bent really bad. I had no idea it was such a mess under there. I am so glag the POS is out of there.

FST is going to build my front end. When completed it will have a 4 link and Coil Overs. The rear will be the 8.8 with 5:13s and a E-Locker. I will get springs to match the front end. I will be running 37 or 38 inch Boggers on 15 inch bead locks.

I forgot my camera I will have pictures next time around.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On the last run we did the day before Thanksgiving, Sam and Matt took me on Landslide.
They have run in Moab and Rubicon and they both agree that this is the best or hardest run they have seen. The first time they did it they started at 9 P.M. and finished by 5 A.M.
We started a bit earlier but still finished at 4A.M.
I overheated my tranny so bad it was pouring fluid out of the overflow tube. I also broke the gear selector cable and had to finish half the course by having a spoter shift me from drive to reverse. We stopped several time to let the trans cool down and add trans fluid. If we did not wait it would simlply shoot it righ out the tube.
:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I swear.. it sucks being left out of all these runs. You don't call, Danny doesn't call. I think there have been others lately as well. Hell I might as well buy a Jeep so I have folks to wheel with.

Dont be bitter :rolleyes: , your truck was in the shop for most of those runs.
Sam and Matt did not want my first runs to piss anyone off with breakage. Everyrun but Parker was with Sams Jeep only, just to work the bugs out.
If my trans is not smoked we will get together soon.

so did you wheel it or what?

Oh hell ya!
It did great!
Front end is still a bit high and I need to move the rear end back a bit, I also need to install my wheel spacers but my truck will not fit on my trailer if I do.
Other than that it has worked flawlessly.
I am very satisfied. :D

Our three night runs were spur of the moment and I forgot my camera.
I have to get pics from the Parker run from my group as my camera did not get used very much.
I will post when I can

looks really good. how wide are those boggers?

Hammer what knuckles did the D60 come with originally? It looks like 5 on 6.5 bolt circle Chevy knuckles? If so do you or FST still have them?

I have a friend with a long travel A arm kit being built and he is in dire need of these knuckles.

Anyone know where to get a set of these suckers? are they pretty common?

Sorry but this is all new to me D60 stuff anyways...

He has D60s front and rear so he just went with wheels to match the bolt pattern they came with...

I had an easy time finding D44 flat tops on Ebay. You probably could find D60 knuckles there as well.

I am going to start a thread with pics from Desert Splash in Parker

Sorry not Truckhaven for Hammer again :thumbdwn: :(

My wife made plans some time ago and I did not put two and two together.
I also have Dads day at my daughters school. With working 12 hour days this is my only involvment with her school.

dadgumit :fire:

Back