Dannyboy's 94 Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dannyboy's 94 Limited

Well, I've got an Explorer registry, but the truck has completly changed so I'll add it to Elite Explorer Reg (maybe even get a shot at feature truck).
Here's the specs

The Truck: Engine: 1994 Ford Explorer Limited, purchased in ’98 w/ about 70,000 miles. It stayed stock for a couple years and was a great HWY runner, upon losing my 1st transmission, I felt with all the updates it was time to make it an offroader, the limited gave me a few goodies and a few extra pieces of plastic to leave behind on the trail, the goodies were an overhead console, compass/auto lights on rearview mirror, skidplates, 3.73 w/ limited slip, limited grill and nice leather seats. Well, 130,00 miles are currently on the truck and most of that stuff is broke or gone, but I still appreciate the good look of the aftermarket grill and interior goodies. Truck has keyless entry, remote start.
Engine: Stock 4.0 Liter V6 OHV EFI, KKM True Rev Intake Kit, straightpiped exhaust, Optima red-top
Transmission: Trusty A4LD, it’s been replaced a few times, not a happy subject for me to talk about, but I have a huge aftermarket tranny cooler.
Transfer Case: Borg Warner 1354 electric
Front Suspension: 79 Bronco radius arms with a custom 1â€￾ stainless tube extension heim joints and custom crossmember replacing the factory transfer case skid plate, Early Bronco coil buckets, Rancho remote reservoir shocks , Energy 7 degree C Bushings, Wildhorses4x4 EB 5.5" coils, Wild Horses Long travel shock towers, custom adjustable track bar,
Steering: Custom homemade over the knuckle job using 1â€￾ DOM tubing and ¾â€￾ Heim joints.
Rear Suspension: Just your basic $32 SOA, never gave me any trouble
Differentials: Detroit Locker Front, Detroit EZ Locker rear, 5.13 Gears
Axles: Front Dana 44 warn heavy duty shafts, ox joints, with manual hubs; Rear Ford 8.8 stock w/adapters for 5x4.5-5-5.5 wheel pattern.
Driveshafts: stock
Communications: CB radio by Maxom and Garmin E-trex Legend
Tires/Wheels: 37x12.5x15 Super Swamper SSR mounted on Black Rockcrawlers, 35x12.5x15 Goodyear MTR mounted on AR Baja rims
Exterior: Custom front and rear bumpers, quick release receiver hidden in front, 2 Pro Comp 6â€￾ lights, Warn M8000 winch, removable lightbar w/ 2 Pro Comp 8â€￾ trail lights, battery power front and rear, rear bumper, swing-tire carrier, flush 2â€￾ receiver, removable rock sliders, all powder coated gray. Color matched functional hood scoops,

Future Mods: probably will raise the rear somehow, the 37s are tearing fenders up in the rear, interior roll cage, possibly purchase another Explorer and move everything over since this truck started life in Wisconsin and has some pretty bad cancer starting, step up to the plate and put a better tranny in when the kit becomes a little more affordable (or at least in my budget)

What's it been good for: This truck has been a daily driver since '98, it began hitting the dirt within a week after purchase and blew an auto hub covered under the used car 30 day warranty (if it only knew then what it had coming in life). I drove it all over, towing my boat, and making road trips. It got a 3" body lift and some 32s before making a trip to Attica in '01 to meet the Explorer crew, after that the suspension got a worked, worked and worked again, it made several trips to Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa's wheeling areas, along with an excellent trip to Colorado in '02 where we ran several trails including Holy Cross. Upon Moving to AZ in 2003 It saw some great wheeling in California and Arizona where I decided the solid axle is worth the money instead of cutting trips short due to carnage on a regular basis.

Look for more action shots after the Moab trip I will hopefully be making.

Photos include a cover of a Minnesota Newspaper upon a near roll at a toys for tots kids run, unfortunatly the reporter was on top of a hill so the pic does it no justice, but hey I made 2 color photos on the newspaper article about 4wheelin!

Attachments

• front bumper far away.jpg
    front bumper far away.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 1,228
  • NEWSPAperstory.jpg
    NEWSPAperstory.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,121

Nice!

Really nice truck, Dannyboy! :D

Woohoo! Another Limited! Nice truck Dannyboy. :cool:

Back