Dannyboy's Re-Registry | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dannyboy's Re-Registry

What better time than now to do this.

Here is my old 94
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100935

Just when my transmission crapped out again, I saw my current 91 for sale on this forum. Joe (Lilmule) owned the truck since new and moved to Milwaukee. When I got this truck I had no clue what I was getting myself into. Honestly, I purchased the truck for the glass fenders and C4/C5 transmission setup. I didn't want to deal with TTB, didn't know who "Autofab" was and didn't like that it was spring under and had some 9" axle that I knew nothing about. Here was the plan, combine these 2 trucks, solid axles, updated glass, C4/C5 tranny, 37" swampers, and ditch the blue truck.

91Explorer1012Medium.jpg

Luckily for me and this truck, I didn't have time to start parting it down. I took it out on a few rides, fully rusted out and couldn't believe the "shalackin" I could put into this truck. I spoke with Joe on the phone a few times over the first year and he kept going on about how great this setup is but never really knocked my solid axle idea or told me what to do. I did start to see that some serious money was spent on this rig the first time it was built.

When Joe mentioned his bill was in the 5 digit numbers at various places like Autofab, Currie/Mogi etc, I realized that I needed to do some more digging into what I had gotten myself into.

Disappointed my 94 that had nearly $30,000 into over the years was sitting dead with transmission parts in a box in the backseat, I researched what I had. I realized that the blue 91 was the truck to move forward with, XL over a Limited means less issues, power features to short out and it had some serious potential. I parted down my 94 and laid it to rest.

junkyardtow.jpg

The for sale ad even said "Needs TLC, after that..."

and this brings me up to speed.

I ran this truck for a while, my avatar photo was taken without spending $1 on this truck, I couldn't belive taking a truck that was sitting could handle this abuse. This little thing was just a machine.

DSC01836.jpg

Then I went to Truckhaven and it was pointed out by other members that I had some work to do, a shackle was nearly rusted through, radius arm bushings were toast, etc. I didn't care, I have a trailer and a tow rig...this trip it paid to have them. I was running a wash and snapped the passenger side u bolts, puncturing the tire and leaving the truck not driveable. I don't even think a trail repair would have gotten me to drive this out.

truckhaven046Medium.jpg

I still got a good weekend of wheeling out of this truck and still had the attitude that I could leave it behind if something happened to it for how cheap I bought it.

Still considering the Dana 44 I have sitting at my house, I decided that I didn't want to give up the speed. I visited Autofab while in San Diego and John was a very cool guy for discussing a truck he built probably over ten years ago. It was at that point I decided to go forward with the original intention.

One trip to Truckhaven with some new updates such as 33x12.50s instead of 33x9.50s, new spring pack to replace the original 11 leaf spring under pack (which raised the rear of the truck nearly 5" from the tired pack), new brakes, auxilay fuse panel, the bumper from my 94 got me excited making it look like a whole new truck.

DSC_0537_resize.jpg

It was at this point I got bit bad by the bug. I needed new shocks, the rear was just too bouncy, I was going fast and am madly in love with the lady who loves to ride shotgun so now 2 lives needed to be protected and lots of stuff needed to be fixed to keep up with this speed.

Well, 6 months in the fab shop, the truck has just had it's first run with the "new" setup.
IMGA0088.jpg

So here is the breakdown

Engine
Ford 4.0
KKM filter
stainless intake
hypertech chip
headers
exhaust

Transmission
C5 3 speed built by Mogi Enterprises with all C4 internals
reverse valve bodied (an auto but you need to manually shift)
Art Carr shifter
B&M tranny pan
91009.jpg

Transfer Case
Stock pushbutton transfer case (button in a not-so-stock dash)
spaced back since C5 tranny is much shorter than stock, retaining stock front driveline length

Front End
Dana 35 TTB, AutoFab kit (the $3600 kit before shocks!!!) inlcudes extended radius arms, tranny crossmember, triple shock mount (1 behind, 2 in front) currently running Rancho 5000s but 3 of them keep it in control
16" of wheel travel approx 6" of raised height over stock
4.56 gears-no locker (don't want one)
warn manual hubs
5/8" wheel studs
limiting straps
"Winter" mods on inner axle shaft and passage

IMG_6834.jpg

IMG_6836.jpg

Rear End
Ford 9" built by Currie, fully trussed
4.56 gears w/ Detroit quick lock
Disc brakes, Wilwood 4 piston calipers, 2 piece rotors (see writeup)
5/8" wheel studs
Valley Spring Service 11 leaf spring under leaf pack
Total Chaos low profile u-bolt retention plates
King 3.0 16" travel triple bypass piggyback shocks
Aftermarket Shackles
Wilwood brake proportioning valve

IMGA0089.jpg

IMGA0091.jpg

Wheels/tires
I've ran several setups, currently running 35" BFG Krawlers on 15x10 steel wheels.

Other Exterior
Perry's 2000 conversion front end, 6" pull fiberglass
4 pin removable fiberglass hood
autofab prerunner front bumper
Dannyboy's designed rear bumper/2" receiver
Rock sliders
2-8" 130 watt driving lights
4 rocklights mounted 2' behind each wheel
DSC_0538_resize.jpg

DSC_0813.jpg

IMGA0092.jpg

Cage

HUNTER OFFROAD custom built roll cage-www.hunteroffroad.com
*all interior gutted for tight fit
*in-cargo shock mount for King shocks
*4 bucket seats incorporated and tied into cage
*ties into frame in 6 positions
*ties into body in 16 positions
*spreader bars
*A-pillar support (required windshield removal)
*1.75" steel and 1.5" (approx 130 feet total)
*Hi-lift Jack mounts, spare front/rear driveshafts, shovel, fire extinguisher mounts
Picture008medium.jpg

fd_001_Medium_.jpg

IMG_6839.jpg

IMG_6842.jpg

Other work by Hunter Offroad
* removable Aluminum dash assembly
* custom built door skins (required with cage side support tubework
* hood pins for 4 pin removable hood
fd_017_Medium_.jpg

fd_007_Medium_.jpg

IMG_6847.jpg

IMG_6838.jpg

fd_008_Medium_.jpg

Interior
4 Corbeau bucket seats
4 Crow 5 point wrap-around harnesses
Auto Meter instrumentation gauges (Tach, Speedo, Oil pressure, Water, Fuel, Voltage, Transmission Temp) see writeup
12 Position Auxiliary fuse panel (see writeup)
Kenwood Receiver
Sirius Stiletto dash mount
Garmin Extrex Legend dash mount
CB radio
Full Recovery & Safety Gear + tools, parts

IMG_6846.jpg

IMG_6840.jpg

fd_016_Medium_.jpg

IMGA0079.jpg

91012.jpg

91011.jpg

fd_014_Medium_.jpg

fd_013_Medium_.jpg

Here is my 3 step process to access all tools/cargo until I get a tire carrier of some sort built
tools/camping chairs/spare parts safely secured
fd_001_Medium_.jpg

Spare fluids in tote that securely fits under shock mount.
fd_002_Medium_.jpg

Tire just barely fits with 10PSI
fd_019_Medium_.jpg

Not sure where to list this, but I installed my Willwood proportioning valve to get the rear braking under control, can adjust front/rear brake distribution from the drivers seat
fd_015_Medium_.jpg

ROCK ON! Thanks for looking.
4wheelin042Large.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We are going to need some good video and pics of you getting air at the tough truck fun.

Did he give you a list of what that transmission really is now since its quite a hybrid?

~Mark

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

He said the bellhousing and pump are C5 cause C4 doesn't fit but the hard parts are interchangable between the two. I'm not a tranny guy but it makes sense.

I should have had him take photos for ya'll.

moving to back to WI? serious? won't miss the nice, warm weather?

Usually this would be a C5 transmission rebuilt (previously) with all C4 internals, the latest C4 updates should make this sucker a monster... I believe you have the reverse valve body in that trans too Danny?

yep. it's manual shift as well. I think it was on it's way out when I got it but it lasted through quite a bit of heat and abuse. With this setup you can crash from gear to gear pretty easy.

fd_007_Medium_.jpg

your goin in tough trucks? thats awesome...and crazy. i dont know what the tuff trucks are like out in "43°48′48″N 91°13′59″W" but here in socal they get pretty crazy with the prerunners in there

Tough trucks out here is a timed course, typically only a few laps that goes on during the monster truck show, probably only about 1/2 mile if that with a couple whoops sections and a big tabletop jump. Guys bring old beat up stock trucks and I think an early bronco won it the one time I went. I won't have the most speed but thinking I'll have enough suspension to soak up the coarse and hopefully do well.

tough trucks is on Friday and still have nothing from the event organizers...my explorer left me stranded, a 2 week old fuel pump took a dump on me. I had to turn the truck over to a shop since all of my stuff is in boxes and I'm not moving into my place for a few more weeks. I figured it's worth it to get the thing running good now.

I have not been to this shop in 7 years and I walked in the door with the mechanic greeting me saying "Hey Dan, where's the white explorer" LOL, some things are never forgotten.

Friday night I wasn't running well, thinking it was bad gas...still had gas from Moab '09 in the tank I think haha.

drained the tank, put in a new fuel filter, changed plugs and cleaned the throttle body and I was good to go for Sat night. Got 4th place, my turning radius was too wide, if I still had my 15x7 wheels I would have done much better. I can still say I have the fastest in town as the winners were out of towners lol.

Attachments

• toughtrucks 048 (Medium).jpg
    toughtrucks 048 (Medium).jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 513
  • toughtrucks 032 (Medium).jpg
    toughtrucks 032 (Medium).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 515
  • toughtrucks 007 (Medium).jpg
    toughtrucks 007 (Medium).jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 518

Wow 4th place, not too shabby. I can't wait for some videos!

Question: were you running in 2wd or 4wd?

Left rear brake light is out:p:

Looks like you had fun!:thumbsup: Mine could never do that...I'd rather try climbing over the cars:D

Back